Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"One in three skiers have poor insurance"

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Halifax General Insurance estimate that a third of British skiers and boarders will not have appropriate insurance this winter. They believe that the rise of no-frills low-cost travel is encouraging people to skimp on their cover, or forget to check that the cover is adequate...

This report from The Scotsman. A couple of points from the article:
Quote:
Around 2.65 million Brits will head to the slopes, yet a third of these will not have proper insurance cover, according to Halifax General Insurance.

At least 1.62 million would like to try out sports such as snow boarding or paragliding, yet two-thirds of these would have a go without checking their policy covered such activities.

This is the second time today (the other being the report on the sliding Dollar, and Brits skiing in the US) that I've seen a statistic that seems wildly inaccurate. "2.65 million Brits" is at least double the figures generally quoted for the ski population of the UK. Where do they get this data?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:
This is the second time today (the other being the report on the sliding Dollar, and Brits skiing in the US) that I've seen a statistic that seems wildly inaccurate. "2.65 million Brits" is at least double the figures generally quoted for the ski population of the UK. Where do they get this data?

I expect their market researchers ring up a small, what they think is representative, sample of people and ask if they'd mind answering questions about recreational activities or holidays. Those that humour them to the end, as the questions zero in on skiing, will be biased to those interested in the subject. The researchers will then multiply up to the population of the UK, and forget to do a reality check on the answer.

Sorry if there are genuine market researchers out there and I'm maligning your colleagues' professional standards -- it's just my guess as to how this figure may have come about.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Maybe its 2.65 million ski holidays rather than distinct skiiers, as many people take two (or more) ski holidays Puzzled
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
78% of statistics are made up on the spot. Wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Meister Jäger, Laughing and, as Churchill said, "there's lies, damned lies and statistics"
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy