Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Big White under fire for opening run just before avalanche

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Questions are being asked about the decision to open a run at Big White Ski Resort (British Columbia) only about an hour before a massive avalanche on Sunday buried several skiers and snowboarders. The body of a snowboarder was found in the avalanche debris on Monday.
The slide, which came down around 11am, was more than the width of a football field, and was up to 8m deep in the middle....Big White vice-president, Michael Ballingal, said the avalanche patrol had deemed the hill safe.

See: http://www.canada.com/ottawacitizen/news/story.html?id=7bd41ba8-fe90-41ac-a72e-803a661aedf1&k=59
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Of course lots of us probably also ask questions about why a particular run is closed when it seems absolutely fine. I did this only last week when a run under a chair at Sunshine was closed one morning and had been open the whole week before. The truth is almost all of us and probably those asking the questions, know a lot less about safety of a slope than the people making these decisions. I for one appreciate the very difficult and sometimes dangerous job they do and it is impossible to know how many lives they save when they take action. Unfortunately this is not an exact science and we all know the risks we take going up a mountain, I wonder what criticism can be brought unless of course someone had overridden a recommendation from the avalanche patrol but I would find that very hard to believe.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This will hit Big White hard, which prides itself on being such a family resort. The OH has a photo of this area as his screen saver - very sad to think someone has died there.

My sincere condolences to those affected by the avalanche and to the friends and family of Leigh Barnier.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This is going to be a massive issue for N American ski areas this season. There have been a number of "post control releases" which is marketing speak for inbounds avalanches this year already. I hope it doesn't result in a scaling back of available terrain and I believe patrols do everything they can to ensure slopes are safe. Maybe a slope doesn't react to charges but then goes under sustained and repeated loading.

Maybe more inbounds transceiver use is necessary. I was wearing mine a few times last week and never stepped outside a boundary rope.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fatbob, good call - mine never left the car last week, will wear it all the time in Canada in February I think.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I hope it doesn't result in a scaling back of available terrain and I believe patrols do everything they can to ensure slopes are safe.

I'm of a different mind here.

While I do believe the patrol do they best to determine if a slope is safe or not, but the number of inbound avalanche this year (canyon and Whitefish, both with fatality) is a sign THIS season's condition might be abnormal enough their past experience need to be modified. Preferrably without more life lost. I do feel a bit more caution for THIS period might be advisable.

I'm going to Canyon in 3 weeks. So I'm concerned. My friends who live there were also understandably concerned. They routinely ride in the slide area in years past. It hit too close to home.

Quote:

Maybe more inbounds transceiver use is necessary.

Transceiver without probes and shavels aren't much good. Skiing alone also renders the "gear" less useful.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This is the area that avalanched - Parachute Bowl is to the left of the photo

snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Police and coroners have now begun investigating how an avalanche occurred in an area that was deemed safe by the Big White Ski Resort.

See: http://www.theglobeandmail.com:80/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080109.wbcavalanche09/BNStory/National/?page=rss&id=RTGAM.20080109.wbcavalanche09
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Further information from the Big White website, including a post on a local forum from a witness http://www.bigwhite.com/index.php?fuseaction=specials.showSponsorSpecial&SSID=404
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
When in bounds a transceiver is a lot of good without a shovel, probe or skiing partner. If you witness a slide then you are able to start searching and hopefully find a signal by the time patrol show up with their shovels. If you are in an avalanche it is the first type of search patrol will conduct and so increase the chance you will be found.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I agree with canucklehead, I happened to ski an area on blackcomb mountain a few days ago that avalanched around 1 hour after I skied it, a class 3 slide, i was skiing alone on a big pow day so i wore my beacon, just in case. you never want it to be needed, but at least i would've had a chance of being found if i was caught in a slide, or like said, i might have been able to find someone else who was caught.
never a bad idea to wear a beacon imo
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cathy wrote:
This will hit Big White hard, which prides itself on being such a family resort. The OH has a photo of this area as his screen saver - very sad to think someone has died there.

Yes, it's not a resort you would associate with high risk. I was amazed this happened in-bounds. We were there over Christmas and New Year and there was a lot of snow over that period, but nothing to suspect this might happen. It just goes to show you can never be complacent.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The Surf's Up slide wbsr is talking about could very easily had the same result as the BW slide, I took a look at the crown wall the other day while heading down the glacier and it's clear Blackcomb lucked out with that one.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy