Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Please help me decide between two holidays!!! (Les Gets/Morzine)

Poster: A snowHead
If anyone is not bored of me yet, please help me decide? I've now narrowed down our holiday to two options. We are a group of 6 adults (mixed abilities), 3 children (3 and 4 years old) and a baby.

One option is Chalet Intime in Les Gets for w/c 1 March - we have the whole chalet to ourselves, it's not far from the centre. See here:

http://www.ski-chalets-morzine.co.uk/chalet_details.asp?cid=561

The other is Chalet La Grange, smack bang in the centre of Morzine w/c 8th March - again whole chalet to ourselves.

http://www.chaletbook.net/lagrange/

Price wise they both come out at about the same although with the first one flights and transfers are included by the operator (Ski Solutions I think) and the second one we'd book our own and the owner of the chalet will arrange our transfers. Not sure whether that makes a difference?

What would YOU do?! AAARGH!

Mirjam
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mirjam, With similar choices myslef this year (minus the children), I have chosen Morzine. We have booked flights, hotel and transfers all separately, which means we can get maximum time on the slopes, and not have to wait for other flights and tour operators buses.

Main reason is - Morzine is more central in the Portes Du Soleil ski area. As well Morzine slopes, you have easy access to Les Gets on one side, Avoriaz and All the Swiss slopes on the other.

Another reason is the little toot toot train that wheechs round Morzine village centre. Laughing

both Les Gets and Morzine a beautiful villages with plenty to do and I don't think there's much to choose from on that front.

hope that helps a wee bit.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Oooh that's fab - I'd forgotten about the village train in Morzine! I think I know which one I favour now! Happy

Thanks,

Mirjam
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mirjam, never having skied either(!) I would chose les Gets because from what I can see it has more of a village atmosphere and is perhaps prettier - but these are only my impressions from when I was looking to go to one or the other last year - and in fact I ended up in la Rosiere!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Mirjam, I've been to Morzine for the past 3 years (without children) and it is just as sheepmadang, said with easy access to both sides of the PDS. But, on the otherhand I would say Les Gets is far better for families as the slopes go right to the village.

If it was me and I was taking the children I would go for Les Gets.

snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
French school holidays are still on the first week in March so it will be busy then. The next week will be quieter.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks Nick, Sage and Colin. It looks like there are pros and cons for each one. I will leave it to the group!

Mirjam
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mirjam, the later week in Morzine seems a better bet to me. Morzine has more facilities and it will not be as busy. Les get is also lower and hence less snow sure, Morzine is within easy reach of Avoriaz which is higher and thus a safer bet for decent snow depths.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Mirjam, I'd go for 8 March in Morzine, too. Much quieter. Lift queues are just no fun.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
AxsMan wrote:
....Les get is also lower and hence less snow sure, Morzine is within easy reach of Avoriaz which is higher and thus a safer bet for decent snow depths.

Avoriaz is higher than Les Gets and is easier to get to from Morzine if snow is rubbish, Morzine itself is lower than Les Gets. I've been there last 3 years in March - no problem with snow cover. Very Happy

snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We were in Les Gets last January... where we had zero snow on the ground for the first three days. The village provided a free bus up to Avoriaz from the middle of town, and they also had a little 'train' (not an actual train... some sort of van that looked like a train pulling open carriages) going round the village.

Can't comment on Morzine.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
robcraine, you beat me to it, Les Gets has a petit train also. I would go for Morzine, so you can get easier access to both les Gets and the Avoriaz/Swiss side.Sage, has a point that you are dependant on where chalet is in Morzine could be a trek. I know it says central and I hope it is not brochure speak!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mirjam, the morzine chalet is pretty central, we ate in the resturant of the same name [could even be their dining room, or an additional monety maker] a few years back, the food and service was excellent, 5mins walk to lifts [if that] and as others have said staying in morzine will open up the whole of the region... enjoy Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd agree with those saying Morzine, based on the more central skiing location and the dates in respect to the school holidays.

In fact I agree so strongly that's where/when we're going!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think the "train" in Morzine is the same concept as the "train" in Les Gets so don't base you're decision on that wink

I agree with Sage that Les Gets is a bit more more child friendly.

I was in PDS in April 2 years ago when the sun had really beaten up the pistes (absolutely nothing below about 1200m so no links open) and really surprisingly found that the skiing in the area between Les Gets and Morzine was as good, if not better than Avoriaz - the snow seemed to be farmed better, though it could be because I was skiing with an instructor when in Les Gets who took me round the pistes at the right time - ie an hour or so after the sun hit them. Meanwhile in Avoriaz (sans instructor) I hit some dreadful pistes - particularly the south facing ones on the Swiss side. I'm pretty sure there are some nursery slopes high up between Les Gets and Avoriaz so even if no snow at village level then the children (assuming they aren't already proficient) would be fine.

Meanwhile I know there are lots of experts here that will have seen PDS in every imaginable condition so maybe my sample of 1 weekend in April is unrepresentative?

Hope this helps (or maybe just feeds the indecision! I know exactly what its like) snowHead
ski holidays
I've stayed in Morzine, but have always thought that I'd like to go back and stay in Les Gets. It's a prettier, quieter village and you can ski to Morzine in no time.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy