Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Corvara?

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone stayed there/have a view? Considering a week at Easter to suit a mixed ability family. Looks nice and ticks many boxes, but I note that only Neilson seem to operate there. Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Haven't stayed but only skied there. It is in the Alta Badia sector of the Sella Ronda. Very memorable skiing as there are a few places where the piste is made into a wave shape like going over a series of small roller coasters. The whole area is dominated by blue slopes with only a few red runs.

Definitely for mix ability. Blue slope skiers inside Covara. Red slopes skiers can go to Selva in the Gardena Valley or Arabba Valley. The brave ones can ski the 40km loop covering the 4 valleys (only about 26km on runs rest by chairlifts). The whole of Sella Ronda is meant to be an easy resort and difficult pistes can be avoided in the main route.

The Sella Ronda circuit should have long queues at Easter holiday though.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
noggy, not been but my cousin skis there with her Italian family every year. Very Italian, very pretty.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
noggy, Going there halfterm with mixed ability group. Have booked DIY which was very easy and staying at Hotel Bel Sit.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Skied over there from Ortisei last week. The runs are very flat around the village although very close to steeper runs in Arabba and there is the World Cup piste down to La Villa. The Sellaronda is a super area that is very well connected by fast lifts, the mountain restaurants and the views are wonderful, would definitely recommend a trip there.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Think the longer we prolong this thread the more snowheads will be pulled from France to Italy.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Let's keep it going then, Saikee

Corvara would be ideal for a mixed ability group, there are plenty of easy runs in the Alta Badia sector between Corvara and San Cassiano and for the more adventurous the Sella Ronda, the Hidden Valley, a trip up to the Marmolada glacier, etc. Snow should still be OK.

You could do it DIY using Innsbruck, Venice or Verona, and book accommodation direct
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Stayed in Corvara back in 2004 and stayed at the Miramonti Hotel with Inghams. The Resort is very nice and italian and would love to go back if Neilson had better flights and accommodation. Shame that Inghams dropped out as they only went there for 1 season.

About time that more and more Snowheads are finding out about the Dolomites and how good it is. We have been going for yrs and its great, even if it doesn't have as much snow as Austria and France, but the Scenery, Snow Making, Grooming and people make up for it.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks everyone. Very tempted and am looking at the Sassongher hotel. Nielson do ski leading which is ideal for Noggy jnr.'cos I can't keep up with him. Hopefully the snow will be adequate in the 3rd week of March.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
saikee, luigi, OK guys, keep going you're doing a good job!!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've stayed there and skied many a time. Great for families and stunning place. Don't worry about snow - they make it all. Great food on the mountains. Sella Ronda, Cortina, Lagazoi valley, great places. Not much night life. No off-piste. Terrific for kids. Bit crowded on the Sella Ronda at weekends. Transfer is a bit long. Great thing is, not too many brits as they just don't know about it (it's a German enclave). Looked at buying a place there once but transfer too long.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
OK, so what airports, and what hotels are good?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
22 dropout, easier to go through Venice/Treviso about 2.5 hrs. Thinking of purchasing also, will have to spend more time working and less on this site Sad

22 dropout, Welcome to snowHead 's
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
According to Google Maps
Innsbruck to Selva is 1.5 hours.
Treviso to Selva is 2.5 hours.
Bolzano to Selva is 45minutes, but the only way I could find of flying there is through Inghams.
Verona to Selva is 2 hours 10 minutes
Venice to Selva is 3 hours 5 minutes
Milan to Selva is 3 hours 30 minutes.

Sorry I did those all to Selva (but that's where I'm going!). Not sure how accurate Google Maps is and whether there are road closures which would effect those transfer times...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just back from arabba. Snow was pretty good on the runs, but not alot outside the runs. Should have improved a bit as it snowed all night thursday and most of Friday (and possibley Saturday and Sunday going by the weather we had on our return via a day in Venice). So had a small amount of fresh powder to ski on our last day. Corvara and the runs down into it are very nice, I particularly like the red down into Covara from the top of the chair out of Campolonga.

The long red (hidden valley) from the top of the Falserega cable car is impressive aswell. Didn't make the Marmoladda as it was closed on the day we were going to do it - due to vis of about 6feet at altitude on the last day.
snow report
I am off to Arabba in 4 weeks with another Snowhead, Embarassed the whole area looks fab I went to Corvara in the summer and the ski area looked great. We are staying in The Hotel Mesdi, which any regulars will know has the slopeside bar of Miky's Grill Madeye-Smiley anyone stayed in the Mesdi - it is only 42 paces to the ski lift - my wife measured in the summer rolling eyes !!!

Had a great Xmas and New Year in Les Menuires the snow was fantastic I would say ity was the best skiing I have had in 15 Years the good base was topped up nightly by snow cannon with a light dusting of fresh snow on the sunday before New Year - Light dusting was at least 5 inches in resort and a lot more when we decied to ski down the Masse 2 Gondla!!

Bring it on!!Confused Cool snowHead Laughing Mad
snow conditions
Dave Horsley, I was in Arabba last Saturday, lots of powder about and very quiet pistes, Sunday was even better as the clouds lifted. I was surpriised there was no info about avalanche danger at any lift station I skied by anywhere on the sellaronda bar an orange flashing light that would indicate extreme danger.
snow conditions
sagedog, Arraba and Hotel Mesdi bookmarked for next season.
snow report
Peter Ross, It was pretty quiet all of the New Year week. No really long queues at all. Was a bit of a scrum at the pods out of Selva on the Sellaronda on the day we did it. But not more than 5 mins or so and nothing compared to France on a peak week. The pair of two person chairs on the sellaronda anticlockwise alternative (after taking the chair over the road from campolonga) were laso busy on obe occasion. But that was about it. We left at the end of skiing on friday so my friends could have Saturday in Venice before catching our Sunday flight back from Malpensa. I guesed Saturday might be good! Shame to have missed it, but Sunday wouldn't have been possible and that sounds like the better day.
snow report
Dave Horsley,

Now the visitors to France know there is almost no queue in Sella Ronda! I have to agree with you. I just hope the lrelative ack of Apres and beer drinking parties can preserve the character of this beautiful resort, which is an outstanding place for skiers just go there for skiing or taking the families to enjoy the winter sports.
snow report
Helen, we stayed at the Olympia in Arabba last year - which we thought was good, a little way out of town but with a ski room next to one of the central lifts.
ski holidays
Hoppo, we will probably have a couple of friends with us 'out of town' even with 'ski room next to lifts' will mean she will refuse to come, cos of a previous similar experience in Selva.
snow report
Helen Beaumont, If its next to one of the central lifts its not really far out of town. If its in the centre of town then you'll have to walk to the lifts Arabba has two sets of lifts roughly parrallel with each other either side of the main road. To the right as you look up the road are a short drag and a 4 man chair located about 50yds off the main rd. To the left are a telecabin to the top and a two stage gondola. Get off the gondola half way for the Marmolada use the telecabine or take the gondola to the top for cw Sellaronda. Its slightly further away, about 100yds walk across a carpark over the river and a short path up to the lift station. A location near either of these two lift locations is the place to be. We were staying about a further 50yds down the road opposite a derilict hotel/restaurant (at least it looks derilict).
ski holidays
Dave Horsley, where ever we end up will need to be in accommodation next to lifts, and preferably ski school metting place. She is a VERY reluctant skier. I want to take her to Serre Che for some decent lessons, but they will only go to Italy. The location in town is not really an issue, it will be the distance to the ski lifts.
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont,

If you're near the lifts in Arabba then you're near the ski school meeting place, as they meet at the drag and chair to the right of the main road. I would say though that the runs into and around Arabba are mainly blues or reds, though the blues are not particularly hard. Worth noting though that the only runs back from the Kaiser Hutte on the ridge between Campolonga and Arabba are both reds.
snow conditions
what's the snow there like at the moment?
ski holidays
nick0861, At a guess, "white" wink

Serioulsy though it should be good, even in bad times the snowmaking is supposed to be excellent.
latest report
nick0861 wrote:
Quote:

what's the snow there like at the moment?

Have a look: http://www.snoweye.com/?page=it-veneto&detail=arrabba&big=4

Just scroll down a bit to see webcam image, nice large quality image (when the cam's not snowed up) and they retain an image from daytime through the night.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
And here's one for Corvara, just in case the OP or someone reading the title of the thread is expecting it: http://www.snoweye.com/?page=it-sudtirol&detail=gadertal&big=10
snow report
There's been quite a lot of snow around that area recently, and more forecast. We were in Arabba last February, and although snow fall had been sparse, on piste conditions were pretty good because of the snow making.
ski holidays
luigi,

cheers

Hoppo,

i think they had a big dump on the weekend
snow report
Dave Horsley, Saturday wasn't bad either, had great fun on the runs down from the top of the cable car in Arabba, very quiet but lots of fresh powder. But on Sunday the mountains appeared again!

Helen Beaumont, maybe you should hire a snowmobile or golf buggy to transport your friend around the resort!
snow report
Helen Beaumont wrote:
Quote:

She is a VERY reluctant skier

Arabba probably isn't a good bet for reluctant skiers, AFAIRC other than the nursery slopes the runs into the village are steepish, not very good for confidence building.

I would recommend Corvara or especially Colfosco for timid skiers as there are lots of easy blues, the runs at the bottom of Colfosco village are wide and almost flat (without having to pole), there's a really nice restaurant named Mesules with a sunny terrace here too. There's also direct access to the Sella Ronda and about 500 km of linked piste for the more adventurous. Most of the accommodation in Colfosco is a few steps from the piste, but do check cos it sounds like your friend is quite particular. Not sure if any operators offer Colfosco, so might have to be a DIY job.

This is the prettiest setting for a ski resort I have ever seen. Some friends chose the village church here for their Wedding last year, they have been skiing 3 or 4 times a season for about 10 years to lots of different places and they chose this place for their special day.

Here's a photo of the church:http://www.paesionline.it/corvara_in_badia/foto_dettaglio.asp?filename=DD1543_corvara_in_badia_chiesa_colfosco

Here's the official Tourist website:http://www.suedtirol.info/SInfo/EntryPage/EN_EntryPage.html, choose "Alta Badia" as the holiday area in the accomodation search

You might be able to tempt your friend over the Gardena Pass to Selva with a promise of this Tea and Cake Shop:http://www.villafrainela.it/eng/te.htm. ( closed on Tuesdays) Those cakes are to die for, the lady owner makes them all herself.
snow report
luigi, Peter Ross, I've decided the best option of all is NOT to go skiing with them to Sella Ronda. I am going to suggest they have our place for a long weekend instead. have some lessons with Eurekaski, and then come with us the following year.
latest report
We stayed at the Hotel Arlara in Corvara in 2004 & 2005 and I'd go there again tomorrow! Right on the piste with swimming pool and good food. Mostly italian/dutch/german clientele, we were the only Brits both times. Hotel staff very friendly and organised our transfer for us.

Yes the transfer from Verona is a long one, but it's worth it once you get there as the scenery is absolutely stunning. Plenty of different places to ski to for a day out, as well as the Sella Ronda. Try going through La Villa to the former monastery at the top of Santa Croce which is now a bar/restaurant (get there early for lunch as is small and busy!). The Laguzoi is a must with the frozen waterfalls and horse drawn drag as a bonus at the bottom - stop at the Scotoni for drinks/lunch (also very busy).
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy