Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Updated report for La Thuile Italy

Poster: A snowHead
Updated report for La Thuile Italy.
there last week from 13th to 20th
it snowed monday, tuesday and wednesday putting a total of about 14 inches. down ... all pistes fantastic powder skiing. As i left on sunday the france - italy connecton at the top was still closed and the Italians had moved in for the weekend givin the pistes some serious hammer. Oh well back to the grind , roll on 9th feb when we go to Les Arcs

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 21-01-08 17:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
andybabes,

Well, my last day's skiing in La Thuile was just over 1.5 weeks ago and the conditions were superb.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
andybabes,

check out http://www.lathuile.net/meteopage.asp?l=3&id=5 for up to date info on snow depths and which lift/pistes are open (although take the snow depths with a pinch of salt as they are resort reported...)

It's looking good with 50cm fresh snowHead reported since yesterday at height, although lower down seems that they've had some rain Sad

When are you out there? we're off out on the 3rd Feb
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mwareing, travelling out there sunday morning......cant wait
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi andybabes,

Hope you have a great time, i'm out there for the first time during the Feb Half term. Any chance of a blog along the lines of Johnnyboy's Val Thorens missive?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Got back yesterday. Lots of new snow but unfortunately raining lower down Monday. When we left am Tuesday AM the resort had blue sky and the freezing levels had lowered. Should be plenty of good skiing as long as it stays cold.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
few inches of snow forcast for friday night........four more sleeps then off i go Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
just updated main thread, i was there last week
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We skiied La Thuile on saturday, arrived at about 9.15 on the free bus from Courmayeur and took the Bosco epxress then the chalet express up to the top - down to Chaz Durand express then all the way down the mountain to the bottom again, arriving at about 10am. At this time the run down (no 6? the red to the left hand side of la thuile looking at the lift nap) was icy and in poor condition, so we decided there and then not to ski it again. The queues at the ticket desks were still 10 deep at 10am, and thr gondola queue was horrendous, so back up on the chairlfts and this time did the long no7 run - bit boring really, the first 20% was ok but then it's just the road which I presume is the Petit St Bernard pass in the summer.

All the way back down to La Thuile again, but this time once back at the top we went through into France, skiied over to Eucherts and then the bottom of Roches Noirs 0 we were aiming for the bottom of Ecudets if possible but I made a slight miscalculation on the pistes and by the time we got back to the top of roches noirs didn;t want to risk the trip down and back up since we had no idea of conditions and / or the time we should allow. skiied back over into italy and did a couple of red runs off the fourclaz express then dropped down the skiiers right of the mountain, intending to get argullian and the chaz durand express - fortunately I'd been keeping my eyes open as CD appeared to have stopped and indeed didn't move for around half an hour as we took a parallel slower chairlift and headed off to complete the day with the black no 3 run - at last a true black, the 4 "black" runs in Courmayeur are fairly tame reds at best, but that one was steep and packed solid - perfect race conditions maybe but somewhat intimidating for most people given the steepness, quite fun though as it was emptyish and we had a crowd of people at the bottom watching us (and probably waiting for us to fall - tough luck Laughing )

On piste I was very impressed, snow quality was excellent all round, even after a day of fairly hight temperatures (for January) even the slopes in direct sunlight were holding up well and felt just soft rather than slushy. Off pisted was a different beast though, like courmayeur there must have been a melt / freeze cycle as thr off piste was crusty and horrible, so we didn;t bother. Quite impressed, I think we'll add it to the list of places worth considering for a return visit
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi nbt,

Do you have any idea why all the queues at both the Ticket office and the Gondola. I've been told that the resort has a reputation for ease of access to the slopes, no waiting at lifts, etc.

P.S. Thanks-both yourself and andybabes- for the update.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
richlott, nbt,

I stayed in La Ros during Christmas week and skied down to La Thuile 5 out of my 6 days. I never got the gondola once as I prefer to sit in the fresh air of the Bosco Express. There was never a queue for the Bosco all week.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
richlott, It was the first weekend after a major dump of snow and it was bluebird conditions. It'll have been all the Milanese and Torinese coming up the autostrada to take advantage of the best european conditions in years Smile
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
johnboy, As i understand it the Bosco Express takes you straight into an area that accesses Black runs only. Is this true? Not too big a problem for me, but my Sig. Other will be on her first week ever.

nbt, Thanks for the info. As i understand it, the week of 16th Feb is a carnival week, so i will expect large crowds- at least on Sat/Sunday.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
richlott,

At the top of the Bosco is The Chalet express that opens up more intermediate terrain.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
richlott, nbt, Can you explain what happens in carnival week, as am in La Thuile all of that week

Can anyone give an update on conditions???
snow conditions
Last skied la Thuile last friday, great conditions, not quite as much snow as in La Rosiere but it's snowed twice since. Last week had some of the best conditions I've ever experienced in the Espace San Bernardo, every run was open all the way down to the village, even pista 3 was in good nick, only icy for the first 5 metres, it did look a bit windblown above Fourclaz and Petit San Bernardo but that only affected the off-piste potential, all the pistes were well covered.
latest report
Will be there a mere 9 days from now. Fingers crossed it stays like that!
latest report
wazza, for latest conditions you could look at www.lathuile.net. It has both a web cam and a live link from the slopes.

As for carnival week, info seems to be very light on the ground. I've asked some Italians living in London and all that they can say is it might be a bit like the street parade in Florence with cartoon figures- of the local great and good- paraded through the town. That said i was in Livigno a few years ago and, from what i could see, their carnival consisted of local men dressing up a washer women and cleaning the bar floors- very strange!
snow conditions
Carnival week seemed not to happen, as far as we could tell! La Thuile was a very sleepy resort indeed all last week.

As for the snow - it could do with being a few degrees colder to prevent the afternoon slush-fest...
ski holidays
I have to agree with paulio, the temp does need to drop quite a bit to ensure that the snow stays in good condition. That said, we where told that the forcast for this week is three days of snow, tues, weds and thursday. So it's looking good for anyone traveling out from next weekend.
snow report
richlott - how are slopes above the gondola holding up?
snow report
ajpaul, everything is perfectly skiable. I skied the number 2 and 3 blacks (that latter of which is a cracker, but quite steep), and 6 red down to the town several times, right up to last Friday. They were just a bit ice/slush/lumpy in the afternoon, that's all.

Everything above that fares even better, but before 1pm is best.

Courmayeur, which we visited for a day trip, was much worse.
ski holidays
Paulio - thanks for that. I won't be trying black 3 - it's my nemisis even in perfect conditions Skullie
snow report
ajpaul, Completely agree with paulio, Everything seems to be holding up well. As for black 3, well eyes shut, bum in both hands but great for getting the blood flowing.
snow report
Has anyone got been our here, or the linked La Rosiere recently? I'm heading out on Sunday, looks like there's a decent dump forecast for early next week, but I just wondered how it's looking at the moment?
snow report
Dropped in on La Thuile for Sunday 23rd March on the way home from Cervinia. Was very cold, and loads of snow - had a big dump on Friday. Everything was in excellent condition, and especially enjoyed finishing on red no 7 before driving home. Did nip over towards La Rosiere in the morning, but the weather was closing in from that side so we stayed in the sun in Italy most of the time.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy