Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Hello, Newbie

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone,

I've been a member here for a little while, reading all of your posts, and thought it time to introduce myself.

Mrs Spurs and I went skiing for the first time last year and we are already addicted! We went to Kirchdorf (Austria) for two weeks of very tiring but extremely satisfying fun in the snow - what there was of it.

We're looking forward to our 2nd trip, we go to Romania on the 19th for more (urgently needed) lessons. I know it's a tiny resort (Poiana Brasov) but the instructors get good reviews, as does the hotel - and we're fully inclusive so the "anaesthetics" are free in the evenings too Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well you have yourself a snow filled great time Very Happy
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
youspurs1, Welcome to Snowheads. Have a good time. Can't recall any Romanian trip reports.....you could be the first Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
youspurs1, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
I went to Kirchdorf, about 25 years ago with a load of mates from the pub. Had a brilliant time, we used it as a base a travelled to all of the surrounding resorts as well.

Apart from Vampires, I don't know much about Romania. we shall await your report.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Come on youspurs1! Welcome to snowHead s
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Horizon is from Romania - I'm sure he could give us a general run-down of the resorts.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
youspurs1, welcome to snowHead s! Always good to hear from more new addicts! Enjoy the holiday, look forward to hearing about skiing in romania Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Welcom along anyway even though I am gooner Cool .
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
youspurs1, welcome to snowheads.

I am indeed from Romania and up until about 6 years ago I used to ski in Poiana Brasov regularly. (I've been back twice, for weekends only, since I moved to London). Since then, they replaced the old gondola with a proper one, and I am told this relieves some of the congestion at weekends, when a third of Bucharest and half of Brasov (the nearest city) drives up there in glitzy 4x4s.

I'll never say that Poiana compares to the large French / Italian / Austrian resorts. However, it sounds like you're going there for a good reason - getting some lessons, which hopefully should be inexpensive compared to Western Europe.

Last time someone asked me for advice on Poiana Brasov on a ski forum, she returned very happy from her holidays. As far as I know, snow conditions have been good or very good this year (a few days ago Bucharest was paralysed by c. 20 inches of snow, I heard from friends).

Things to do apart from skiing, if you have half a day or a full day free, include a visit to Brasov (12 km down the road) or one to the well-marketed Dracula Castle (Bran castle), a few miles further.

You might even consider a trip south by train from Brasov to Sinaia - some good scenery along the way and you can also ski in Sinaia (don't try it at weekends though, that's where the other two thirds of Bucharest are).

One thing I found out when I went back there two years ago is that hardly anyone skis offpiste, especially through the trees...but you're not likely to be doing that the second time you're skiing.

I'd be curious for your comments when you return, especially about the quality of instruction. If you think it's no good, I would suggest asking nicely for a different instructor - their proficiency may vary quite a lot (not speaking from experience, never took lessons until well after I left Romania). I do know however that a few years ago I was unable to keep up with a very good looking lady instructor who was freeskiing. And I was trying, too. Damn.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
youspurs1, Welcom, I went to Poiana Brasov last March. I wanted to wait until I had been somewhere else before writing a proper review.

A lot of people seemed to be there for the instruction as they had a decent reputation, you do get the intructors all day which seems to be a lot better than some other resorts which only do half days. I think its a place for beginners and early intermediates so it sounds like it will suit youspurs1.

They managed to teach my very nervous and not very adventurous other half to ski. She now loves it and is chomping at the bit to go again, her next trip will be the EoSB snowHead

It is a small resort but it kept us happy for a week so I'm sure you'll be fine. Everything is included in the hotels but even if you wander down the road there's a few little cafe's and pizza places which are cheap as chips. There's also a little club next door to that.

During the week the slopes are really quiet, it does get busier at weekends but not too busy.

If you want to know anything else just ask.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
youspurs1, welcome to snowHeads. There's a few of us here from in & around Nottingham so you're in good company wink
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the responses everyone, you sure know how to make someone feel welcome. I've a feeling I'm going to like this site Very Happy
Quote:

if you have half a day or a full day free, include a visit to Brasov (12 km down the road) or one to the well-marketed Dracula Castle (Bran castle), a few miles further.

We want to get to Brasov town, hopefully one evening if the shops stay open late to pick up some snazzy, snow related bargains. I'm not sure about the castle trip though...half a day's skiing missed?
Quote:

They managed to teach my very nervous and not very adventurous other half to ski. She now loves it and is chomping at the bit to go again, her next trip will be the EoSB

Ditto for both myself and mrs Spurs as far as nervous goes(well, more me than her if I'm honest), and having lurked here for a while I'd love to do the EoSB, it looks like it will be great fun and good vfm, but I think we'll wait until next year. I hope/am sure you'll all have a great time.
Quote:

I went to Poiana Brasov last March. I wanted to wait until I had been somewhere else before writing a proper review

Hi Kristov,thaks for your comments. There is nothing in the 'resorts' section of this site about PB..or Kirchdorf for that matter. I think it would be very useful for the those in the same situation as you and I to have some skiing newbies reviewing/commenting on beginners resorts. I'll be doing a report on PB when I get back, and will start a thread on Kirchdorf.
Quote:

Welcom along anyway even though I am gooner

Gooners, reds, magpies...we're all just skiers Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I did the Draculas castle thing, we didn't go until we'd finished skiing about 3 one day so we didn't miss out. We went into Brasov too, its so different to the surrounding area its unbelievable.

I'm back from my trip on the 26th so if you want to write a combined PB report I'll happily contribute.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Welcome to Snowheads!

You're going to Romania. Sounds interesting. We have written about skiing in Slovakia in my blog, but I must say I know nothing about Romania. I've heard people talking about skiing in Romania, so may be it is time to find out more about it. I am interested in skiing in new places, such as Eastern-Europe.

I wish you great skiing trip!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
I'm not sure about the castle trip though...half a day's skiing missed?

youspurs1, you're getting the hang of this already.... welcome to snowheads snowHead
snow report
youspurs1, welcme to snowHead's
snow report
youspurs1 - welcome and hope you have a fab time in Poiana Brasov. Myself and MrRibena are dying to hear how you get on as he is Romanian and we have a dream of one day having a chalet in the Romanian mountains.

I've been to Poiana and Brasov city in Summer and both were beautiful and a long way from any of my misconceptions of dreary Eastern Europe tower blocks and can't recommend a visit to Brasov highly enough. When we were on the drive to Poiana a real-life goatherd was driving his goats further up the mountain through the trees to pasture; there he was dressed in goatskin and the works, in the middle of this lovely up-market ski resort. It seems like a dream now and I can't wait to go back!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy