Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time for kids - which resort?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I want to take the kids skiing this half term for the first time. They are 7 and 5. My wife and I are intermediate standard and want to do a little skiing when the little ones are at ski school. Not fussed about country (but must be Europe) and not too fussed about price (given that we will be booking late and there may be little choice of hotel etc.)

Cheers

Dobby
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd recommend the 'search' function - there must be quite a few threads on this.

My ha'penny worth is to try and go somewhere with a few non skiing things to do (walking, sledging, skating, swimming) so that they have things to do if they don't get on with the skiing. And in fact, even if they do the activities listed are great fun to do with the kids anyway.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
dobby, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Most places will be busy at half term, especially the ones best suited for kids. I like Zell am See (in fact I like it so much that I will be there 1/2 term week!!), so would recommend there, although I know that it will be a busy resort that week.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
dobby, welcome to Snowheads. One problem at half term is very big kids classes. You need to try to get them into smaller classes, preferably with a good English speaking instructor. They are all going to be pretty booked up already - I suggest you find out about high quality ski schools (there is BASS in Les Gets/Morzine, New Gen in Courchevel, good ones in La Plagne etc), find out which still have vacancies, then try to find suitable accommodation. Good quality lessons may be an even scarcer resort than bargain accommodation, at this stage.

On the other hand, you could have a look at the thread about taking kids out of school (yours are extremely young) and go week/beginning 8 March. Problem solved!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Easter is quite early this year - go then - it will be cheaper and quieter.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We have always taken our Kids at Easter in the past. One of them loves it (boy), one of them is 'somewhat reticent' about getting the bug (girl). Some years she's been quite into it, others less so.
Because it's been generaly good April weather, it's been one less hurdle to overcome when trying to garner enthusiasm.

I braved Half Term for the first time last year with just my son. The weather was a little more 'challenging' than he was used to, to the effect that he did 'give up skiing forever' at one point (for a little over an hour).

The other plus of Easter is, that it's easier to be choosey about ski schools and instructors.

I know many many skiers have acquired their love of the sport through going as kids at half term but I still think personally, that Easter's a safer bet.

If your determined to go at half term and you want them in ski school, I'd advise getting it booked up asap as that is the week they haul in every geezer with a red ski suit they can find to take classes.

A ski school that trades specifically on its reputation for quality, such as New Generation in Courchevel that pam w mentioned, will simply be full up way ahead of time and you wont get anything with them. Another good Courchevel one is Supreme Ski School but similarly you'd need to book ahead.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
admin wrote:
We have always taken our Kids at Easter in the past. One of them loves it (boy), one of them is 'somewhat reticent' about getting the bug (girl). Some years she's been quite into it, others less so.
Because it's been generaly good April weather, it's been one less hurdle to overcome when trying to garner enthusiasm.

I braved Half Term for the first time last year with just my son. The weather was a little more 'challenging' than he was used to, to the effect that he did 'give up skiing forever' at one point (for a little over an hour).

The other plus of Easter is, that it's easier to be choosey about ski schools and instructors.

I know many many skiers have acquired their love of the sport through going as kids at half term but I still think personally, that Easter's a safer bet.

If your determined to go at half term and you want them in ski school, I'd advise getting it booked up asap as that is the week they haul in every geezer with a red ski suit they can find to take classes.

A ski school that trades specifically on its reputation for quality, such as New Generation in Courchevel that pam w mentioned, will simply be full up way ahead of time and you wont get anything with them. Another good Courchevel one is Supreme Ski School but similarly you'd need to book ahead.
Hi Admin, I am a new member here and after browsing this site for the past 3 hours (so glad i found it!!!!!!!) am now totally confused and woried about taking my 3 kids over the school mid term. kids are 6 9 and 11 and skiied for the first time last year. They loved it so badk this year to Kitzbuhel. Have i made the right choice?? I am now worried about getting them decent instruction over the school break times based on infor above - can you give me some idea how I can prebook their lessons, skischool?? Thanks!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dobby, Have a look at Serfaus or Fiss. Just back from there and we thought it was great for children. Web site WWW.serfaus-fiss-ladis.at
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
carolwags, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

I'd say that you'd be fine. Your kids have a good experience under their belts, and Kitz is a nice resort. If you are going in Feb, then expect it to be busy.....but one of the big advantages that Austria has is the number of English speaking instructors. My experience is that they may not all be the most amazing technical skiers (some certainly are!), but they make lessons fun for kids.

In terms of booking in advance, have a google of ski schools in Kitzbuhel and there should be some contact details available.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks Elizabeth B - have sent email to Rote Teufel in Kitz as they now run all the ski schools there - hopefully they will respond. One other query if you do not mind. If you or any other members have been to Kitz will my husband and I have enough time to get around the mountain in between dropping the children off at skischool and then back in time to pick them up for lunch 2 hours later. My older two will be fine all day in ski school but the (just turned) six year old will want to see mum and dad for lunch before going back into ski school for the afternoon session!! I only ask as a few people here have said if you get on the wrong run you will end up in a place where you have to bus it back and the buses are not really all that reliable. I have visions of being stuck on the other side of the mountain with an upset 6 year old waiting for mum! It would be appreciated if I can recieve any advice on what runs to stick to to fit into the twohour ski school time frames. many thanks in advance

Carolwags
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy