Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First time ski trip- advice and options in La Rosiere

Poster: A snowHead
Guys,

Hopefully it looks like our ski trip will be booked by the end of the week and, all being well, we will be off to La Rosiere on the 19th Jan.

Both myself and my girlfriend are going, and whilst I have been skiing before, this will be her first time. I am planning on taking her to chillfactore before we go so she can get a feel for whats in store, rather than her have no idea what to do when we get to France.

Now, I want to ensure that she has the best possible grounding so that she can learn to ski effectively and correctly, and I fully appreciate that lessons are the key to doing this. But, I feel I may struggle to convince her to spend time on her own, with new people, learning to ski. I can see her point- im taking her all that way only to then leave her for hours at a time whilst I head off up the mountain.

Ideally, but I dont know if this is feasible, im thinking that maybe I could arrange for some lessons- either a private instructor or a couple of days of group tuition, in the morning, and then meet up with her in the pm and coach her on the greens and blues with a view to both skiing together towards the end of the week.

Trouble is, I have no idea if this is possible, or what the costs are likely to be- I know skiing isnt a cheap sport but in truth we are both on a budget and I want to maximise her learning time and enjoyment, but keep the costs down.

Can anybody lend me some advice or a steer towards a good ski school, instructor or price guide?

Thanks

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 7-01-08 18:31; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
papillion_rouge, suggest that you add "La Rosiere" in to the thread title to attract the la Ros ski-school experts (I know about la Ros but didn't take any instruction while there).
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the tip nick!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
papillion_rouge, As long as the class is not to big ie no more than 8 then your girlfriend is better off in a class for the first three days. After that 1 to 1 private lessons may be useful the cost whic is £25-£35 per hour. Be very careful about coaching her yourself, its not easy and was the one time my wife swore at me.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
papillion_rouge, I have done this with lots of friends before - they spend the morning in ski school and then the afternoon with H and I practising what they have learnt. It seems to be a good compromise as we can tear around the mountain in the morning, and so don't feel like we're being held back too much, but then we can spend the afternoons with our pals helping them practice what they have learnt.

I am sure some La Ros people will be on soon to recommend ski schools who do morning only lessons etc.

D
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
papillion_rouge, ESF and Evolution2 are very good in La Rosiere. I would happily put folks I know in either. I would certainly put her in morning ski school and meet her at 11.30 for a drink/ski/ early lunch. You can then mess around with her in the afternoon. The clue to success is getting her on the Roche Noire chair after a day or so and skiing down Tetras. If she stics to the learner drags you will both get bored. The alternate is private lessons. Both schools have good English speaking instructors and can be found here http://www.larosiere.net/?rub_id=36 Make sure you go for the ENGLISH class.

There is a new ski school, Elite, and they seem to be run by Simon Atkinson, a nice fellow who was a director of La Rosiere ESF. I found private and ski school to be good value. She will enjoy ski school ...honest.

Snowdomes and a lesson are a good idea as, at the very least, they get you on skis
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
You can then mess around with her in the afternoon.

I thought they were going to ski in the afternoons as well! wink wink wink
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
johnnyboy, go seek the waitress Twisted Evil
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
had some info through from where we are heading and they have included some prices for ski lessons. They say that a 6 day ski school is 170euros and thats every day, 9-1pm. It also mentions that private lessons are 38euros, which seems to be a good price.

I would rather encourage my GF to do private lessons for 2-3 days so she can grasp the basics, with a view then to spend the rest of the time with her skiing together.

Can anybody tell me if that is a good price for a private lesson, or reccomend better or cheaper?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Is that per hour or for a two hour lesson? That's very cheap for private lessons.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've used ESF in La Rosiere twice - once for beginner lessons and once for intermediate-advanced.

Always been impressed - Especially the second week where i had an instructor called Thierry who was utterly awesome.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hmmm, not sure Rob, I shall have to check....
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Agree with magic hat. Thierry is brilliant. He pushes you but you can trust his judgement (unlike some of the ESF "lads" at La Ros). I was still not 100% happy about reds at the start of my week but he took us down a different black on each of the last four days and I coped fine, largely due to the confidence I had in him.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
truffaut, On morning 1 with Thierry, he took us down a steep, icy red "to show us what we would be coping with easily at the end of the week". He got rid of the people he did not think were up to the standard of the class we had booked (unlike some other instructors who just carry them and cause the rest of the group to suffer). On the last day just two of us turned up - and he gave us the most amazing last day. Took us off piste for a bit and then took us over to Italy to drop us off for some nice lunch. Great guy, great instructor.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sounds like a top chap! does anybody know if he does private lessons?

Ive told my girlfreind she has the right attitude for a beginner- she wants to be on at least a red by the end of the week!

Deep down, im just worried she will be better than me come the end of the holiday!
snow conditions
papillion_rouge,

Our 7 y.o. went to classes with Evolution in La Ros and had a great time. Group ski lessons also have a fun factor/social element (particularly for beginners) with everyone laughing and falling together Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy