Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I am a changed man!

Poster: A snowHead
Recently got back from 10 days in Arc 1800. Had a wonderful time with the family. Skied for a week and loved it.
My son asked if he could try snowboarding so i booked 2 days lessons for the boy, wife and I.
I am now a changed man, I would not class myself as a skier anymore!
Snowboarding is for me. Within 2 hours we all were going down the slope side to side.
Ive skied for 4 years and my wife and son the same but the feeling for me is so much better. I felt more in control than i even have on snow. By day 3 we were all going down solo, heel side edge, toe side edge and changing direction easily (apart from the wife who fell and bruised her back).
We all fell many times but its nothing like falling when skiiing, the fear of your skis twisting and a knee poping just wasnt there!
The most important part is the boots! No longer will i walk in tight uncomfortably boots, clip clopping around, slidding on snow and looking a fool. The Snowboard boots are such a luxury after skiing, why would anyone want to put ski ones on again!

I recemmend it to anyone who is thinking about it. I really dont think i will ski again. snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 7-01-08 16:30; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Surfstar, do you surf?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Nah. Admit, it. You just like sitting in the middle of the piste.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
krekeg, I kitesurf which is probably why it came more naturally
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
surfstar wrote:

We all fell many times but its nothing like falling when skiiing, the fear of your skis twisting and a knee poping just wasnt there!

??????????????
It's much worse falling on a board plus you obviously weren't that good a skier rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skidonald, To be honest i wouldnt say i was that good a skier and im not saying im that good a snowboarder im just passing on my thoughts on my holiday
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
skidonald wrote:
It's much worse falling on a board plus you obviously weren't that good a skier rolling eyes

Errr... harsh.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Fair play for even trying both. I can't bring myself to sacrifice the skiing time to give boarding a go!

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 7-01-08 16:38; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
surfstar, I am glad it works for you. Whatever floats your boat, as they say in Barrow in Furness.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

??????????????

Not worse just different Laughing

Novice falling on skis...."whoah i am so good at this skiing lark...whoah im falling....., yup I've fallen"

Novice falling on board..."Whoah I am so good at this snowboar.........BLAM...what the f&*k happened"
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Novice falling on skis...."whoah i am so good at this skiing lark...whoah im falling....., yup I've fallen"

Novice falling on board..."Whoah I am so good at this snowboar.........BLAM...what the f&*k happened"

Yep it kind of felt like that!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
surfstar, congratulations Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
When I started boarding I didn't ski for about 2 years (apart from instruction which I do weekly at local dry slope). I went on a couple of hols and took my skis as well as my board but never used them,. then went to Fernie for a few weeks and for the first time left my skis at home. I also thought I probably wouldn't ski again recreationally. However that has all changed now and I split the two evenly and can't say which I enjoy more.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
surfstar wrote:
Recently got back from 10 days in Arc 1800. Had a wonderful time with the family. Skied for a week and loved it.
My son asked if he could try snowboarding so i booked 2 days lessons for the boy, wife and I.
I am now a changed man, I would not class myself as a skier anymore!
Snowboarding is for me. Within 2 hours we all were going down the slope side to side.
Ive skied for 4 years and my wife and son the same but the feeling for me is so much better. I felt more in control than i even have on snow. By day 3 we were all going down solo, heel side edge, toe side edge and changing direction easily (apart from the wife who fell and bruised her back).
The most important part is the boots! No longer will i walk in tight uncomfortably boots, clip clopping around, slidding on snow and looking a fool. The Snowboard boots are such a luxury after skiing, why would anyone want to put ski ones on again!

I recemmend it to anyone who is thinking about it. I really dont think i will ski again. snowHead

You are bang on the money.

The tray is easier than the planks.

Ideal for the over-30s.

Wise man.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Always nice to have a mix, im sure i will ski again but not for a while
snow report
wrongsideof30 wrote:

Laughing Laughing

So true!!

Laughing
snow conditions
surfstar,

I did roughly the same..Skied from the age of 5 (am 34 now)..stopped for 3/4 years due to incompatible location and finances..
Then last year, finally went back to the mountains, and snowboarded because the rest of the group was...
Loved it and no turning back now! Very Happy
Just bought myself some boots and board! snowHead

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Mon 7-01-08 17:22; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Kruisler, It seems like im not alone. (I can hear the whispering curses from the dedicated skiers!)
snow report
surfstar, Welcome to the Darkside, you can now start posting in the 'Snowboarding' Section Razz
snow report
surfstar, it is a lot of fun. A few years ago I thought I'd try it and loved it.

However, am now back skiing as is easier to take kids out when skiing than boarding. May have another go on board when they're old enough to board.

I think everyone should try others perspective to see what its like
snow report
surfstar, your post is exactly what I didn't want to read. H and I both love skiing and go several times a year, and we are both kind of curious to try boarding, just to 'have a go', but I bet if we do, then exactly the same thing will happen, and our skis will be abandoned. I don't honestly know that many people who enjoy both equally (there are probably loads on here though), although do know lots of people who can do both (they all choose to board!).

Think we will stick to planks for now, but still want to give it a try.

D
snow report
my boyfriend keeps trying to get me to switch from skis to board, but it's taken me 5 years to get to a point where i feel i can ski with some flair and really enjoy pelting down a piste at speed. for these reasons (plus all the money i've spent on boots and skis) i don't really fancy going back to the falling over and being scared stage. i'm not sure i even want to waste a day of my precious holiday trying it out when i could be having a great time skiing.

i would also take issue with the idea that skiing wipe outs are worse than boarding ones. i've seen some truly awful boarding stacks, all of which have been worsened by the fact that the board stays attached to your feet.
ski holidays
Shallimus wrote:
skidonald wrote:

Errr... harsh.

It is (harsh). But it's also true.

Once a skier got past being comfortable on bump/ice/powder, boarding is no better. Different, but not better.

The ones who say it's "better" borading tend to be the type who are frustrated on ski. They found a "way out" with boarding. Look at the "examples":
Quote:
The most important part is the boots! No longer will i walk in tight uncomfortably boots, clip clopping around, slidding on snow and looking a fool.

A corrected fitted ski boots maybe (comfortably) tight, but not "tight uncomfortably". If that's the "most important" thing, then it's purely errhhh... "user error". Smile

Quote:
we were all going down solo, heel side edge, toe side edge and changing direction easily

For anyone who do both, it's pretty obvious skis are a lot more agile than board. So whoever say they can't "changing direction easily" on ski obviously don't ski too well. No nice way of putting it. wink

There's one thing that's undeniable is boarding has a steeper learning curve. You fall lots but you also progress a lot quickly. That fact makes boarding a better appeal to beginers. Or even for low intermediate skiers who're not progressing any further.

And it's also just as fun. In a different way.
snow report
Quote:

H and I both love skiing and go several times a year, and we are both kind of curious to try boarding, just to 'have a go',

is that known as "board-curious"? Embarassed
ski holidays
I tried boarding about 5 years ago at a time when I was a fairly accomplished skier and only had one ski holiday per year. I struggled for 3 days, fell over a lot, was black and blue but finally got to a point where I was able to come down greens reasonably well. However I couldn't bare to think of spending an entire holiday or more sticking to blues and greens so I went back to skiing.

This year I moved to Canada and so now expect to be on the slopes most weekends during the 7 month season. So I decided I would give boarding another go as I could now afford to spend more time on intermediate runs. I promised myself that I would board until Christmas and then go back to skis. I did board until Christmas and got to quite a reasonable level, able to turn on heel and toe, able to maintain speed and balance to cross flat sections, attempting easier blacks and starting to 'carve'. However, due to a combination of the more challenging areas at Sunshine still not being terribly good and us having friends staying with us who were first time skiers, I actually stayed on my board all last week as well.

I'm sure I'm still a skier at heart, I enjoy boarding but don't find better, just different (I also have some Snowblades that I take out occasionally for a change and a bit of fun!). What I do enjoy is having a challenge again, being a learner again. Its not that I was the worlds greatest skier, not by a long way, but I had got to the stage where my areas needing significant improvement were things like skiing moguls aggressively (too much hard work for me and I'm nowhere near fit enough) and skiing powder (conditions are of course the major restriction here, but I will be back on skis after the next big dump!). I really enjoy having to concentrate and work hard again just to get down a piste rather than having to 'go looking' for a challenge.

So, I'm certainly not a 'Changed man' in the same way as surfstar, but I may well be on one plank for a little longer yet Wink
ski holidays
martski, Laughing Laughing

surfstar, welcome to the paths of the righteous. wink
latest report
solarfish wrote:
I tried boarding about 5 years ago at a time when I was a fairly accomplished skier and only had one ski holiday per year. I struggled for 3 days, fell over a lot, was black and blue but finally got to a point where I was able to come down greens reasonably well. However I couldn't bare to think of spending an entire holiday or more sticking to blues and greens so I went back to skiing.

That's where I left it. Smile But it's clear if a skier is not into the blacks on ski yet, they're not missing anything skiing-wise by switching over to boarding. Wink

I'm waiting for the time when skiing becomes too "routine" to go back to being a beginer again on a board! Very Happy
latest report
abc, interesting points abc. I simply tried something new and prefered it.
"The ones who say it's "better" borading tend to be the type who are frustrated on ski. They found a "way out" with boarding"
I disgree with this comment, i can happily ski reds and mild blacks and understand why a ski boot should be a "comfortable" tight fit.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
(deleted due to my reading error.) Embarassed

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 7-01-08 22:38; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
I first tried it 11 years ago & switched completely 8 years ago.

It didn't come naturally to me, I found skiing much easier, but I love the feeling of carving on a board.

I'll probably go back to skiing when I get older ( I find snowboarding physically more demanding than skiing), but for now it's boarding that I love.
snow report
abc, You are quoting me, not surfstar Wink and I agree that I would probably never have gone back to give boarding another go if I hadn't moved here.

As for skiing being routine, I'm probably making myself sound far more able than I really am, I still have loads to learn on skis. But I find it quite amusing that over the past couple of weeks I have twice hiked up to have a look at Delerium Dive because that is my next goal on skis whilst during the same time period I have now successfully completed the ski out at Sunshine without stopping on my board. Sometimes it is nice to have goals that don't require full avalanche gear and a guide Wink
latest report
Thanks, solarfish, I should have read more carefully, confusing the two "fishes"! Smile

surfstar, so disregard what I posted above. Then my original opinion stands. You were only into "mild" blacks. Do I gather that's on days when condition is "good" (i.e. not icy, not bumpped up)? Because those are the condition boards don't do well. Well, I'm sure good boarders can handle it. But average boarders stay away entirely.

I see the dividing line being boarding has a plateau at the bluu/"mild" black level, while boarding has a plateau at the SOLID black level. (No personal experience about the later part here, just from other boarders' comments. Plus I also don't see too many boarders on the harder blacks at all). I don't know if you're carving your board on black, or at least believe you could do that shortly...? Very Happy

Personally, I see a VERY long process if I can ever board to the same level of my skiing. Your prospective is obviously different.
ski holidays
After spending the morning riding green runs of Chair 9 at Kirkwood I advanced onto gentle blues off the Timber Creek Express. Deciding it was time for lunch I went to head over to the main base area, and without thinking about what I was doing set off on the route that I'd have taken on skis.

I think I dserve marks for the most inelegant descent of a Black Diamond run in history... it ended up as traverse, stop, sit down, flip board, traverse, sit down..... at least that was more elegant than the moment i arrived on that trail! Embarassed Embarassed
snow conditions
Winterhighland, Laughing Glad to see you didn't just heel edge it down!
snow report
Admin, this post needs moving to the Snowbored section. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
latest report
Dypcdiver, worried about a few more defectees....? Twisted Evil wink
snow report
snojito, Err, does that word mean that they have defects?????? Twisted Evil wink
ski holidays
Dypcdiver, Laughing Laughing Laughing ooops, p'raps I might've meant 'defectors' Embarassed

since you've asked though I wonder if we've stumbled on to something - are there certain latent flaws in a person's character that would tend to predispose them to boarding rather than skiing?

I'm thinking so far:

- rampant narcissism (our gear is far cooler)
- an excessive love of luxury (our boots are far more comfortable)
- an inability to take things seriously (snowboarders seem to only be interested in having fun, for heaven's sake)

there must be more, surely.... ? Toofy Grin
latest report
I worked a season in 94 still in the days of 200cm skinny skis> I had a serious think about boarding rather than skiing or even splitting my time between the two. I decided to stick with skiiing because I had some base (six weeks) and knew that I would only work one season - thought I should try to get decent at one thing rather than mediocre at two. That season I was rather jeallous of boarders who were able to handle crud and heavy powder in a way that I couldn't on long skinny skis.

Since then, as skis have got wider and more shaped, I have got less and less interested in boarding. I don't see what advantages boards have over skis these days (I even think the pros look better in the park on skis than on boards). Except perhaps the learning curve for beginners/early intermediates is steeper.

A few years ago I skied in Whistler with a local Canadian guy who was a much better skier than I will ever be. He said that he tried boarding, thought it was wonderful, gave up skiing and though he would never ski again. Three years later he was back on skis -he found that the boarding learning curve was fast but then you plateaud at a level that was boring. For him, skiing offered much more variety, more to work on, more scope for improvement, more interest.

I think whitegold is right, if you start skiing/boarding later in life and are never going to have the time to get good at either then boarding offers you the best prospect of getting half-way competent quickly. Otherwise I reckon skis repay the extra investment in learning.

Cheers,
J
snow report
Where do freestyle skiers fit in this categorisation? They look, dress and behave more like snowboaders, they hang out in the park but they are on two planks not a tray?

I haven't boarded but now have twin tips and they are more fun than normal skis (although I like skiercross and GS skis), with my Volkl Karma I can go backwards, spin, go off jumps, sit down on the tails, bomb it in powder, grip on ice, carve slow or fast... anything really!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy