Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix - bit of advice needed please

Poster: A snowHead
Hey

Off to Chamonix in early Feb with a group of friends with differing abilities. Me and the wife have skied for about 10 years so are decent, the rest of the group are second week 'beginners'. We are staying in the Les Balcons Du Savoy which are slopeside at the Le Brevent area.

Can anyone give advice as to which is the best of Chamonix's ski areas for a mixed group? And does anyone have expetrience of the ESF in Chamonix?

Any other ideas or things to do/not to do in Cham??
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Brevent/Flegere, Le Tour.
Things to do; Drink, eat and be merry.
Things not to do; fall in a crevasse, make too much noise outside my house.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We took our beginners to Les Houches and Le Tour, far easier than the other areas in my view.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Agree with Chizz5056, about Les Houches and Le Tour for beginners....my wife found Brevent very daunting when she was learning,much prefered Le Tour.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for this guys, million dollar question now though, how long will it take to get the bus from where we are staying (see above) to Le Tour or Les Houches?

Are they packed and unreliable or is that just rumour and in reality they are fine?

Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Cubby wrote:
Thanks for this guys, million dollar question now though, how long will it take to get the bus from where we are staying (see above) to Le Tour or Les Houches?

Are they packed and unreliable or is that just rumour and in reality they are fine?

Very Happy

When I was in Chamonix I didn't have much of a problem with the buses, they were quite frequent, however I was staying near the main bus intersection in central Chamonix. The problem with taking the bus from Brevent to Le Tour/Les Houches is that you may have to spend time on one bus for 10 mins then change onto another for up to 20 mins so may have to factor in 45 mins for the whole journey, unless you walk down the road instead of taking the first bus.

I wouldn't say Brevent is completely off- limits for beginners, depends on the quality of the snow but I rememeber some reasonably gentle blues near Planpraz. However the reds and blacks are definitely reds and blacks- the black from the top of the cable car is superb, it feels like you are on a hardcore downhill run, not for beginners!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cubby,

I'd walk into town and get the bus...might not be a great idea with people not used to packing their skis though
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I am going to Les Houches for 4 days skiing in Feb.

Half of the group are 1 weekiers, will les houches be enough for 4 days for them?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
IIRC when you get of the Brevent gondola at the first station you turn right and there are a couple of greens and easy blues which should be well do-able for confident 2nd weekers. perhaps a couple of days at Les Houches/Le Tour and then try out at Brevant
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
With regard to lessons, I prefer Evolution2 to ESF - a bit less old-fashioned and rigid in their approach from my experience.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Brilliant stuff, really useful.

Have just looked at Evolution2 and their group lessons have 3 days at Le Tour, then a day at Le Brevent and one at Les Grands Montets. Gives everyone a bit of variation and lets them see a bit more of the valley. Will check on availability.

Another question, if you book your lift pass online do they deliver to your hotel or is there a central pick up point?

And any recommendations for ski hire?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cubby, If you are staying at the Les Balcons Du Savoy then there is a little Lift Pass Kiosk right outside your accomodation at the base of the nursery slopes.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cubby, Make sure you check out Chambre Neuf or the Microbrewery for apres-ski Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Check out BASS Chamonix ski school www.basschamonix.com/, British instructors and small classes there are 4 instructors so you get a personal service, I have had a lesson with them today.
As for skiing Flegere/Brevent is on your doorstep, you can ski from one end to the other on Blues but they are top of their standard. Le Tour is further away but great.
If you book online they will send it to your home or you can pick it up at Montenvers
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jbob, do BASS do chalet pick-ups in the morning, or is it just meeting points by lifts? They also seem quite a chunk more expensive than the mainstream schools (eg 4 days/3 hours is £190, compared to about £105). Like the idea of native English speakers though, and the slightly smaller groups...
ski holidays
PhilG, BASS are more expensive, but having a small group, and English speaking, can be very useful - particularly as your beginner skiers will be relying on them to ensure that Chamonix, which can be intimidating (it intimidates me, and I've been skiing for years) is a happy experience for them. I skied Flegere/Brevent with a Chamonix based friend in March two years ago, after the "Big Snow" and found that the red runs there, covered in gigantic heaps of snow and more skiers than I'm used to in my obscure French corner of the Alps, were quite challenging. I was grateful that my friend - a much better skier than I - had a sciatica problem so had to take it easy and suggested we ride down in the lift, rather than taking that black run! Paying for good quality instruction could make the difference between a great experience and a rather scary one. the smaller roups make a big difference. I have skied with BASS in Les Gets/Morzine and one of the instructors I had on a course in Tignes, with another company, was from the Avoriaz centre. There are some contrary views elsewhere on Snowheads, but personally I had no complaints.
latest report
PhilG, as far as I know they meet you on the slopes.
I do know that group lessons can be a slow and ultimately expensive way to learn if the group is big, I saw an instructor (not bass) today out with nine, needless to say the kids at the back were getting nothing apart from cheap babysitting. The instructor I was out with Derek is a BASI examiner, and he was really good.
snow report
Cubby wrote:

Any other ideas or things to do/not to do in Cham??

-There is the ice hockey or skating
-The alpine museum
-Photographic exhibition.
-Top shopping (go to footworks and get some boots, the ones you have are two sizes too big).

Most folks seem to spend most of the time in the pub.
latest report
jbob, If you're right, i'll donate 20quid to snowheads, provided there's a purchase.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, off-topic but not worthy of a thread - I'll be in your establishment, and exposing my feet to your machinations, on Sunday afternoon. I've had the benefit of your advice (and of others like CEM) from here, so figured I'd return the favour - any little tidbits like pork pies that you want brought over from Blighty?
latest report
Best bar and restaurant? Value for money and atmosphere top priorities.

Very Happy
snow report
Cubby, for apres see above. Personnally later at night is a bit disappointing, Avoid the night clubs
ski holidays
Two other questions have come up, wonder if you knowledgable lot can help?

I take it the streets of Chamonix are usually clear of snow, unless of course in the middle of a snowstorm? Just need to advise a coupl eof our group on footwear required.

And secondly, are there any lockers at Le Tour, or any of the other areas for that matter where you could stash shoes and a bag maybe?

Smile
ski holidays
Cubby, It's quite low so streets are generally snow free but there's always the odd bit of ice to watch out for as I found out embarrassingly last year. Main thing to watch out for on the pavements is dog poo...not pleasant.
snow conditions
awksquawk wrote:
Cubby, Main thing to watch out for on the pavements is dog poo...not pleasant.

Shocked Shocked Shocked
ski holidays
Cubby, a few recommendations for you:

Restaurant L'Impossible in Chamonix Sud - In my opinion this is the best restaurant in Cham. Lovely staff, a beautiful cosy, beamed room and a great atmosphere. Not cheap but great for a treat.

Restaurant Atmosphere on Rue Doct. Paccard - Great restaurant for all the Savoyarde specialities like fondue and raclette. Again not cheap, but really good. May need to book.

Le Privilege on the Rue des Moulins - Great, lively (but not too manic, as Chambre Neuf can be) bar for the evening. Sometimes has music.

Patisserie Richard on Rue Doct. Paccard - This cafe does the best hot chocolate I have ever tasted and the cakes are amazing. While you're there pop into the Peak Performance shop over the road to drool over wonderful ski and sporty clothes.

I've stayed at the Balcon de Savoy and they are excellent. Quite big and well located for the town and the buses.

I concur about Le Tour being the best spot for skiers of mixed abilities However, I don't think there are any lockers there. Not sure I've seen any lockers at any of the lift stations in Cham. Others may be able to help on that.

Hope that helps. Have a fab time.
latest report
Anyone know if Goofys (?) is still open?
ski holidays
Cheers Goaty brilliant stuff.

Getting all the gear out this weekend and will be deciding on whether to get new boots or not (decision is already made in reality! wink )

Not long now!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy