Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car hire from Geneva

Poster: A snowHead
Not sure if this should be in trips or resorts, so I've posted it in both.

Flying into Geneva and driving up to the French resorts of the Portes du Soleil. Where to hire the car - French side or Swiss side? Discuss.

Thanks in advance
CW Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi CW

I asked a similar question recently and after lots of responses am picking up a car this Friday, hired via HolidayAutos.co.uk (using the discount link) from the Swiss Side.

Explanations of why are here - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=33950

and here - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=33000
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Advise the swiss side - this has been discussed a lot on the forum before. If you hire from the French side it's very difficult navigating yourself thru to France without going on the Swiss motorway for which you would have to buy a vignette
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
OK - I've just hired a car via the easy jet site. How do I know what side I'm on - didn'ty take that into consideration....
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
dandtd, It'll tell you on your auto email confirmation ... 99% likely to be Swiss unless you chose France ...
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I hired a car via easycar last season - requested Swiss side of GVA but when my confirmation turned up I noticed I'd been allocated a car from the French side.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks guys,

..and particularly magic_hat for the links to those other threads

Cheers,

CW snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Agenterre, you are of course correct - so how do i know what side i fly in on!!!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
dandtd, If you come from UK , you arrive in Switzerland;

only French-flights 'arrive' in France and then you come out in Suisse anyways !! ..... 'of course' and 'correct' are seldom used in the same sentence where I'm concerned .. wink Confused
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Agenterre, thank you once more, Geneve will never ever confuse me again until next time!!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi

Help/Advice ??
I've just tried to booking a car through holiday autos from the Geneva, swiss side for 20th Jan - I got right through to the confirm booking page and couldn't see how to add on snow chains, so I phoned holiday autos only to be told they had no cars left from the swiss side until the end of January - when asking why it let me get so far with the booking was told - "its a problem in the system !!! - I wonder what would have happened if I confirmed my booking and then got to the airport to find no car available - Is a problem anyone has encountered ??

I was then told they did have a car available from the French side but it would not have any winter tyres.
Having driven from the French side in the summer I know how much of a nightmare this is. Will driving without winter tyres be a major concern ?

Anyone know of any reliable hire car companies which might be available from the swiss side ?

thanks
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
LisaM, I never bother adding the "winter equipment" option to cars hired from the Swiss side of Geneva. They (almost) always come complete with chains and always with winter tyres. I'd be tempted to try to complete the booking with Holiday Autos (ignoring the winter equipment option) to see what their system does. You should know fairly soon whether they can source a car for you as you should receive their voucher for the hire company within a day or two of making the booking (although normally much quicker than that). I'd be really surprised if they couldn't get you a car as January is low season for skiing. You could also try travelsupermarket.com which is also a broker agent and checks with a large number of rental agencies for prices and availability.

If you do end up with a non-winter tyred car from the French side it will only be an issue if the roads are snowy, in which case you'll have to put chains on more frequently than you would with winter tyres. Not ideal, but not a complete disaster either.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
got a great deal from Auto Europe for 3 days in Feb from the Swiss Side. I got a compact for £66. However, I just checked, and it has gone up to £88. I only booked 2 weeks ago!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LisaM, I would try and complete the booking anyway. HA are agents/consolidators and use National / Alamo in Geneva ( Swiss side) .. their 'allocation' is obviously full but this wont stop them trying to get additional cars if they have the bookings !! If that fails try National / Alamo themselves ... but it will be more expensive ( odd but true!)
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Agenterre wrote:
HA are agents/consolidators and use National / Alamo in Geneva ( Swiss side)

They occasionally use other rental companies as well. I've got cars from Budget a few times and, IIRC, Hertz on one occasion.
snow report
rob@rar, Agreed ,, they'll get from whoever they can ; but primary contract is/was with National / Alamo ...
ski holidays
Agenterre, yes, most of my rentals through HA are with National/Alamo.
latest report
All things being equal I hire from the Swiss side. But, if I can get it cheaper (and I often can) then I go to the French side (which is not that difficult to get to/from despite what you may of heard) so long as you can read a map Smile A couple of years ago the French side was half the cost of the Swiss when I booked! Worth considering. The girl on the (French) Hertz counter was extremely helpful with directions etc.
HTH.
snow report
LisaM - I've just completed 4 bookings for January with Holiday Autos for the Swiss side. Personally, I think the person is more likely to be wrong than the system.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy