Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What do I need to wear to keep warm??

Poster: A snowHead
Dont say clothes! Razz

I have been skiing once before and that was in March (Pamps) and I am going again next Sat and it seems January is a LOT colder (Borovets this time) how many layers will I need, and how many pairs of socks should I wear?? Sorry to seem daft but I really dont know!!

Also I dont feel confident enough to go into Intermediate - hubby is - will I be able to start group lessons from scratch again?

Thanks!!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ONE pair of thin socks. Never wear any more than one pair of socks and make sure they're socks and not those ridiculous tube things.

I wear a Helly Hanson LIFA base layer along with an Arcteryx sweater under a shell jacket. This is fine down to around -10c. Any colder and I add a thin North Face fleece.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
manx dawnie,

Bring a variety of clothing and choose each morning. I have a balaclava, but the only place I ever needed it was in Lake Louise when it was -15 for days.

On my most recent trip the chalet had a thermometer outside which I checked at breakfast, before putting on ski gear. I also find a hood on the jacket keeps the wind off.

I usually wear 1 pair of ski socks, Sallopets, Sweatshirt, Ski Jacket and Hat. (and pants). I tend to be quite warm compared to others. Everyone is different.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
manx dawnie, Welcome to snowHead . there is a good 'sticky' over in Equipment Review section about what to wear, might be worth a read

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=22621
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Good gloves and a warm hat/helmet are equally important and shouldn't be skimped on. If you don't spend £70/80 quid on decent gloves now, you will spend a lot more before you finally do!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You definitely need head-wear.

It's important to keep your head warm, so a decent hat of fleecy material tends to work well.
I erm would also recommend those fleece neck tubes, they're very effective.

Generally, for the main torso, you'd have different types of layer. Base Layers made from something like Merino Wool or Lycra which wick the sweat away from one's body. NOT COTTON!
Then there's the mid layer, which is generally a fleece material.
Then the outer layer / ski-jacket.

The thing is that more layers are better than one thick layer. It's a bit like double glazing in some ways.

There's quite a good article in this forum some where about to what to wear.

hope this helps Puzzled
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
remember that you can always take a layer off or undo zips / vents etc, once out on the slopes it's very difficult to put on more layers I find, so my advise would be many layers, I have been known to misjudge the temp and ski the afternoon without my jacket Puzzled
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Brill thanks folks!

Got Tchibo gloves, jacket and thermals - they seemed to do the bizz last time. Bought one of them neck tube things for hubby for Xmas - hid it so well I cant find the ruddy thing now!

Going to start packing tonight - only 6 sleeps to go! Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
manx dawnie, it's either in the loft or in the bottom of the wardrobe in the spare room snowHead
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski socks – these days they are thin with some padding in all the right places. Never wear two pairs, as the inside one will likely fall down and give you uncomfortable ridges which can cause bruises or rubbing, and they will become heavy/damp with sweat which in fact makes you colder rather than warmer! Perspiration is meant to transfer to the boot liner, which you then dry out overnight. (Hiking and fishing socks are best kept for hiking and fishing!) Never tuck your long johns etc into your boot, fold it back to just above the boot top as your shin should be flat against the boot – even a small ridge can develop into a rub/bruise.

Lots of layers are the key to keeping warm and give you flexibility. If it is cold merino wool base layers are pretty unbeatable. Mitts are a lot warmer than gloves. A ‘snood’ or ‘buff’ that comes in very thin material is small versatile to keep in your pocket, and if your neck is snug keeping the heat in this makes a real difference and can be pulled up over the face on chairlifts. If you keep your core or trunk warm, your body will not need to work so hard on this vital area, so can continue to pump blood to the extremities (fingers and toes) to keep you warm – so if you have cold toes, pile on an extra vest! Damp boots make for cold feet (and smelly boots) so dry them every night.

You can go back to beginner lessons no problem - confidence is usually more relevant than ability! You could tell them that you are not a 'day one' beginner, lots of people skied many years ago or did a bit on the dry slope but still prefer 'beginner' classes - a good school should usually be able to shuffle you up if you want to too.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Welcome to SnowHeads manx dawnie, The neck tube things (we call them NeckHats in our house) are VERY useful. They weigh nothing so not a nuisance to put on in the morning, but are very handy if the weather turns chilly or windy. You can pull them up to cover your ears under your hat and keep your face from windburn snowHead I'd definitely be looking for it now!

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 6-01-08 20:06; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

If you keep your core or trunk warm, your body will not need to work so hard on this vital area, so can continue to pump blood to the extremities (fingers and toes) to keep you warm – so if you have cold toes, pile on an extra vest!

I knew you had to keep your core warm, but I've never seen this reason as to why it is a good idea - makes sense though!!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
manx dawnie, the other point is, it's not necessarily masses colder in January! You can have rather warm weather in January (like right now in France!!) or rather cold weather in March. Yes, wear layers, absolutely no cotton, and if you are a cold mortal, don't feel you have to take the advice of people who tell you that they skied happily in minus millions in Canada in a thermal vest, fleece and shell. Some people just are colder than others. If you can find some of the little hand warmer "tea bag" things (usually on sale in ski shops) take some, and have them in your pack, or pocket, in case you feel cold.

On lessons, if you tell the ski school you are not sure what class to go in, and are a bit uncertain, they should be able to sort you out. If you want to do the beginners class twice, and be the star, go for it. I have done the beginners cross country lessons twice now, and am still hopeless at it.

It's a holiday. Have fun! It's nasty being dragged along in the slipstream of someone more confident and competent, but with the right instructor, you might surprise yourself.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I wear about 4 layers under my fleece, a mixture of Helly Hansen long sleeve tops, M&S thermal vests and thermal long + short sleeve t-shirts. I'm not much of a sweater. But I never know which order to put these on. Normal dressing dictates that a vest should go on the bottom and I would tend to think my thermals should go next to my skin to keep it warm, but again, the technical wicking layer should also go next to my skin. Or is the fact I wear so many layers, it doesn't really matter?

When I have shower after a hard(ish) day skiing, I'll get in only half undressed and as I take each layer off, I'll give it a good rinse. I find the radiatiors in ski hotels / apartments more than capable of drying my stuff by the next morning.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
justacey, I wonder if good heating is a factor in most alpine resorts - I stayed in two different chalets/appartments so far and both had excellent heating and never any cold conditions over the day. I would think if I wanted to I could easily get things dry on them.
latest report
manx dawnie, I wear icebreaker (merino wool) spaghetti vest, longsleeved icebreaker, then if its Jan or cold, a fleece layer as well, then a warm North Face jacket on top, then wool leggings, one thin pair of long socks & a lovely warm pair of lined Eider skipants. Warm Racer mitts - & I'm never cold Toofy Grin
snow report
An aside-what are silk thermals like? As i found myself buying some yesterday. Anyhoo a good fleece if its cold-i've got an Arc teryx number and its bloody excellent.
ski holidays
Rossfra8, Never worn them, so have no idea! I like merino wool - keeps your skin warm & dry. Good in this country too for bad weather dog-walking rolling eyes
snow report
Rossfra8, I had some silk liner gloves and some silk liner socks never really got on with the socks but I occassionally use the gloves if its really really cold and they seem to work !

(I did also have some silk undies once but they were definitely not thermals Blush Blush )
ski holidays
I cant believe how much some of you lot wear... maybe I am hot blooded or something? I tend to wear thermals under salopettes and thermal top plus one other thin layer. Then the jacket - thats it! I agree with those that say more layers of the thin type than a jumper. I would argue that unless you are at very high altitude or heading of touring in the middle of no-where (and I suspect as a beginner neither would apply in this case) you dont need "fancy" "expensive" ski-wear. Ordinary t-shirts will do just fine.
latest report
Ordinary t-shirts will do just fine.

I agree you don't need expensive stuff, but it does have to be the right kind of thing, and I can't agree that cotton T-shirts will do the job. Mostly they're cotton, and anybody who sweats and get them damp will then tend to chill. Also, watch the M & S thermals - I had a look at those the other day and they had cotton in too. OK for being around the house if it's chilly but probably not that great for skiing. I don't agree either that beginners are unlikely to need proper ski wear. If it's minus 12 with a wind blowing, which is not that rare on easy slopes in Europe, you need a lot of warm layers, whether you are a beginner or an expert. Indeed a beginner, who might be standing round quite a lot in a class, and/or falling over now and then, might get colder. However, it is true that the majority of people on their first ski holiday in Europe will probably find it less cold than they'd anticipated - last year it was certainly warm, almost all season. There is such a lot of excellent, and cheap, gear around in places like T K Maxx and Decathlon, Tchibo, etc that you can keep warm without spending a fortune.
snow report
I am surprised so many people mention thermals - I have always been too warm to wear them. I very seldom wear more than a wicking under layer under my salopettes and jacket - and if I do one extra layer is always enough. Being too hot when skiing is more often a problem with me than too cold - partly because I sweat easily.
A spare pair of gloves to change into if the first pair get soggy is a good investment.
snow conditions
pam w, I would endorse the TK Maxx, Decathlon route - some people pay silly money for gear. I got a really good Helly Hanson jacket last year for under £50 with all the airvents etc.
latest report
As a novice skier you'll probably to a lot of exercise and generate heat. Everyone need to find their own insulation needs. I rarely need thermals; my wife needs every layer she can. Make sure boots and gloves are warm and dry. Layering is the answer to insulation, and I would agree that good gloves are needed + most body heat is lost from the head so wear helmet/ hat (2 hats in wife's case).
If you have the energy check days weather first. I always take dog for walk and report back on temp. but also wind etc- it's usually much worse up mountain. If it does seem warmish and tranquil at least take hats, masks etc with you- won't take up much room in pockets- I always forget- it's probably better to be too hot than too cold.
latest report
Having read this, and the sticky - is it the case that people wear TWO micro-fleeces when it's cold? Last year I had no real idea and wore a long sleeved cotton T-shirt with a microfleece on top then my jacket. I took a thermal vest and a long sleeved polo neck/long johns that say they are a "base-layer" (Parallel, from Mountain Warehouse) but it wasn't cold enough to try them. This year then it sounds like I should keep the t-shirts for evenings & wear perhaps the baselayer polo & a fleece or 2 fleeces? I do tend to feel the cold and get numb fingers/toes unless I keep moving & of course in group lessons there's a bit of standing about.

SOmeone mentioned buying good gloves - what's the criteria? Mine are Tresspass "ski gloves" and have a zip pocket on top that you put a t-bag handwarmer in - my fingers did get cold though. People have said about silk liners but I am not sure there is room inside my gloves for another layer.
snow report
Wear what you think you can get away with. But put a spare fleece, inner gloves and balaclava in your backpack. Thermal pants too if you tend to get really cold.

If you're still cold with that lot on, have a coffee.
snow report
manx dawnie,

Been to Borovets three times, cheap and cheerful, going again next month. Where are you staying? Food in the hotels tends to be average and but plenty of good cheap places to eat and drink in the town.
Best place to change money is the little kiosks on the main street, best rates and they will haggle a bit.

If there is a long queue at the gondola get a horse drawn cart up to the Yastrebets 4 man chair lift which will get you on the mountain much quicker, a cheap but sometimes odourous jouney but can give you an hours extra skiing.

As regards clothing I only wear a long sleeve thermal vest, roll neck jumper and ski jacket and I am plenty warm enough. Very Happy
snow conditions
manx dawnie, The difference between absolute beginners and any experience, in Borovets, is that new beginners get shown how to snow plough etc on the busy nursery slopes near the Rila Hotel whereas, any experience, they take you to up the mountain and get you to show them a few turns and grade you into groups. I suggest you tell them you have skiied before but want to go in the lowest of the experienced groups or you'll spend days sidestepping again. Sad
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NickB wrote:
If you don't spend £70/80 quid on decent gloves now, you will spend a lot more before you finally do!

Agree with spending a lot finding the perfect glove, and I've got the expensive ones, but my favourite are M&S £9.50 wind proof ones that are warm but not too bulky. I can't stand the splayed finger feeling of ski gloves. Also, I always carry a spare pair after watching someone drop one off a chair lift and had to ski back down bare handed - Ouch Skullie
snow report
ta for all the advice everyone! This is a great forum site! Very addictive!

JP - We are staying at the Samokov (or similar lol) the couple we are going with stayed there last year. You been there? I am more interested in which are the best bars! I will need a drink or two to kill the pain!!

Wayne C - ta for that, I may do just what you advise, will consult my mate, think she wants to start from scratch again, so I may stay with her.

5 sleeps and counting! Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
We went to Borovets 3 times and stayed twice in the Samokov and had a great time. We always went to Pete's Bar straight off the slopes and then later on the Buzz Bar used to be the place to head for, but things might have changed. Oh nearly forgot, there's the Happy Duck too!

This is how I remember Borovets snowHead

I'm sure you'll be surprised how soon it all comes flooding back, like riding a bike, you never forget. It's just that first scary look down the slope, then your feet just do the right things.

Have a great time and let me know how you got on. Very Happy
latest report
I agree with WayneC, do not join a beginners group, tell them that you are an intermediate skier and they will do what Wayne says. Can't comment too much an the bar scene as I am an old f**t and tend to take the apres ski easy. I think the ski school at the Samokov is the best in the resort and although we can ski and know the slopes me and friends still use them. Have stayed at the Samokov but I now use the Ela across the road because it is more intimate and the happy hour lasts all night. P.s. best to make sure that you don't need the loo on the mountain as the facilities last year were few and basic.
snow report
WayneC, how did you manage to insert a photo? I tried and failed miserably. Puzzled
ski holidays
JP wrote:
, how did you manage to insert a photo? I tried and failed miserably. Puzzled

You have to include a link to picture already on the internet, ie at flixster or photobucket, using the IMG button above, or post your picture on the snowheads media zone, see http://www.snowmediazone.com/ . Then it gives you the code to insert in your message. Easy once it is set up. I'll try to find a better description on here for you.
snow report
Are you clicking PostReply rather than Quick reply to get the Img button? but there's more at: http://www.snowmediazone.com/snowheads/howto/userguide/menupage.htm about half way down

Links (to images on the web)

img]http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/images/snowheadsKlik3.gif[/img :

Again, for more info, see http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/faq.php?mode=bbcode.

You can define the size of your images by modifying the tag thus:- "[img=width,height]" , where the dimensions are specified in pixels. Please use this facility to restrict the size of displayed images in the forum.

Note:- Although it is possible to include images like this, we would ask you to refrain from doing so in your posts except on the "Après Zone" or "Buy, sell or swap" forums. These 'inline' images slow things down for those on dial up and, in our opinion, spoil the sleek lines of the piste. Small "Smilies" (see below) may be used but we would ask you to exercise self restraint in this respect!

Can't get txt to post exactly as the original because it keeps linking to original - so you need [ ] before img

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 8-01-08 12:48; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
WayneC, Thanks I'll give it a try next time. Very Happy
ski holidays
manx dawnie, welcome to snowHead s (you're right, it is dangerously addictive isn't it Very Happy )

a quick word about gloves (with apologies if I'm telling you what you already know) ...

if you're out cruising around and you stop at a handy bar for a quick coffee / vin chaud / beer / gallon of jagermeister* , and you choose to sit at one of the tables on the outside terrace, don't whatever you do take your gloves off and leave them on the table if the temperature's anywhere near freezing.

I made this mistake once lunchtime a few years ago, and my gloves froze stiff in just a few minutes. baording for the remainder of the afternoon with freezing cold hands was thoroughly unpleasant, but nothing compared to the thawing-out process which was downright painful. Embarassed

Now when my gloves come off over lunch or a brief pitstop, they go straight into the nice warm armpits of my jacket and my hands stay warm, Fairy-soft and a nice healthy pink colour instead of ending up as twisted swollen crimson claws. It's infinitely preferable!

*delete according to preference and/or footballing allegiance
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy