Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Arcs - good for beginners?

Poster: A snowHead
We are planning on going to Les Arcs this year - probably Arc 2000. There will be one, maybe two, first timers in the group and I am very confused about whether it is suitable. Looking at the various websites, the suitability for beginners seems to vary.

So on Ifyouski.com slope suitability is given as:

Beginner: 9%
Intermediate: 42%
Expert: 49%

On Igluski it is given the following ratings:

Advanced:**** Intermediate:***** Beginner:*****

J2Ski gives the following:

***** for Expert Skiers
**** for Intermediate Skiers
**** for Beginners

So who is right?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kosciosco wrote:
So who is right?

We are! Laughing

I think the figures on ifyouski are for the percentage of runs that are suitable - it's not a rating of how good the resort is for that level. As Les Arcs has many, many pistes then 9% will give you a pretty good choice of easy runs.

Les Arcs is unusual (IMHO of course) in that there really is excellent and well laid-out skiing for all levels. We feel, in particular, that the coverage for Experts is exceptional - with many genuine Black runs and great off-piste - hence the five stars.

There are many long and well-connected Blues and (generally) easy Reds to suit Inters and cruisers, and there are also good beginners areas.

Arc 2000 used to be exclusively the preserve of good skiers but recent years have seen the addition of a free chair-lift and a green run of good length just above that centre. A confident beginner should be able to tackle some of the lengthy blues in the 2000/1950 valley by the end of the week. Given the choice I'd probably recommend 1800 over 2000 for absolute beginners but I think you'll be ok in either.

Rob@rar is (one of) the local experts and I'm sure he'll be able to give you more info.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would put Arc 2000 as my personal number 1 for beginners. The nursery slopes are right in the middle of the action and there is immediate and well-graduated progression on to easy blues. You can also get around the resort quite easily and experience different scenery etc. I was there with a mixed group and we found it easy to keep in touch with or beginners having been off to a nearby steeper slope.

snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I would suggest 1600 or 1800 for beginners, though it's possible for wobbly novice skiers to get around the resort on plenty of green runs that go places, whilst the heroes take the steeper route to the same place.
I would say Les Arcs is an excellent beginners resort.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kosciosco, Welcome back - I've not seen you around for ages! snowHead

I'd say Les Arcs is good for beginners - good for varied levels in the party as there is something there for everyone
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I agree with J2Ski - I think the resort caters equally well for beginners, intermediates and experts. Arc 2000 is now a good choice for beginners as it offers lots of easy slopes right on it's doorstep. Arc 1800 is also good, as is Vallandry. The village hich is least well suited for beginners is Arc 1600 where the runs are either too steep or just easy tracks rather than wide open pistes.

I don't have any experience of the ESF in Les Arcs, but I can definitely recommend New Generation Ski School if you are based in Vallandry or Peisey, and I've heard good things about Spirit 1950 which is easy to get to if you are based in either Arc 1950 or 2000.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
geri, Thanks, its been a very busy year, lots of stuff going on, so not been around much, just sticking my nose in now and then, should be a bit quieter from now on, hence the holiday plans

I was thinking Spirit 1950 looked good for the ski school.

What would Vallandry be like second week in March? Looks a little low and how is for access to the rest of the area?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kosciosco, I think you'd be OK in Vallandry at that time of year. Lots of artificial snow-making down to the village, and that part of the domain is open until mid-April so I don't think mid-March is at all 'late'.

Easy access to the Les Arcs domain from Vallandry (a fast 4-seater and a fast 6-seater chairlifts out of Vallandry; one lift to get to 1800, two lifts to get to 1600 and two lifts to get to Arc 2000 bowl).

Vallandry is also base for NewGen ski school, so another bonus point for it Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'll allow you to have carte blanche here

If you could stay anywhere in Les Arcs, where would you stay

And if I told you I loved Courchevel 1850 (although not the prices) where would you tell me to stay?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Courchevel 1850 is my favourite resort, so my recommendation would be to stay there Smile In Les Arcs I think Vallandry, 1800 and 1950 are fairly equal in terms of advantages and disadvantages, with a preference to Vallandry or 1950 if ski school is important to you.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
kosciosco wrote:
[What would Vallandry be like second week in March? Looks a little low and how is for access to the rest of the area?

Great Toofy Grin I'll be there then. We usually go at that time of year & havent had a problem with a lack of snow. Sometimes it can get a bit slushy at resort level at the end of the afternoon.

Access to the rest of the area is easy - Vallandry or Grizzli lift up in the morning. We tend to stay high during the day mostly.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
geri, I've been looking for places to stay in Vallandry but without much luck, have you got any recommendations?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
kosciosco, I'd add my vote to Vallandry - stayed there last three years and off again this Sat!! Plenty of suitable runs for the kids, who were beginners but now better than me rolling eyes

Also easy access to all of Les Arcs

Try skiamis for places to stay, otherwise the Peisey-Vallandry web site has links to all the main apartment lets. For larger chalets try ILS Chalets, a Dutch run company we have used a few times
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kosciosco, How many of you are in the party - catered/non catered - will you be organising your own transport?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Look out Les Arcs - my son and another eleven members of Tavistock Young Farmers Club hit the slopes next weekend Toofy Grin
snow report
hi - I went to Les Arcs last year for 8 days after a grand total of 4 days skiing the year before (in Chamonix, where I taught myself as I couldn't afford lessons.) So I wasn't very good at the start of my Les Arcs hol, (Chamonix was the worst place to go for a total beginner) but I found it to be the perfect resort for me.

There's not many green runs, true, but there is a huge amount of really cruisy blues all across the whole of the Les Arcs area to hit after working out the basics on the nursery slopes that there are.

Just booked again this year and this time taking my boyfriend who has only done the same 4 days as me in Chamonix and I know that he will love it. (He was put off going last year after a scary descent on day 2 ever of skiing, down a mogulled red run in a white out in Chamonix after we got on the wrong lift and it was the only way down!) But he is convinced to join me this year after seeing my vids and pics of the cruisy runs in Les Arcs - it's not at all intimidating for a beginner.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy