Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Packing light for skiing?!!! I'm a woman!!

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Ladies,

I'm used to packing with a whole car and a top box and pretty much within reason able to pack everything I fancy. Going to France next year with everyone I won't have this option, however I travel. Obviously I'll take a weeks suppy of undies, 2 or three sets of thermals to keep a pair fresh, skis, poles, boots, gloves (spare gloves?) and helmets, strong shoes, swim suit, sallies and jacket, wash bag and something comfy to lounge about in after skiing. Is more than this required towels etc? - remember I'm a lady and packing light doesn't come naturally. I'd be interested to know whether other ladies find that any more than this is necessary. What is it worth taking spares of (I've got spares of most things you see)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 6-01-08 16:19; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum wrote:
Obviously I'll take a weeks suppy of undies

Just noticed your location, I didn't think Essex girls wore ......... Toofy Grin
Merino wool thermals and socks don't stink until they've been worn a few days = weight saving. If weight is an issue many toiletries are heavy and can be bought in the resort.

PS How many pairs of womens shoes fit into top box? Wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Last year to La Rosiere for a week, i took a weeks supply of everythiing including different evening clothes for each night and a selection of boots and trainers. 7 sets of ski socks, 7 sets of thermals, a couple of swim suits for the sauna, towels, all sorts.

Just about scraped in under the luggage allowance.

What a waste! Didn't need half the stuff i took. I reckon your list is pretty much spot on - but take some towels as they're always handy.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Just take one of everything.

And a can of Febreze wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, two sets of thermals and mid layers. wash one, wear one. Ditto ski socks. But yes, take spare gloves; they're horribly easy to lose. I would also take silk balaclava and fleece neck thing. Sunglasses. Goggles. You only need ski boots, outside walking type boots, and slippers. Cut down weight in wash bag - take nearly finished toothpaste, etc. Tons of moisturiser though. And sun screen. Don't bother with make up; it looks daft on red shiny apres ski face! I do pack light (or did, in the days when I flew) but would take two comfy evening outfits. And at least two books - usually finished one by end of the first travelling day! Take paperbacks, then dump when finished - good thing to leave in a chalet. Camera? Easy top water bottle in case there's nowhere beside your bed in the chalet to keep the copious amount of water you need to be drinking.

Paracetamol. diarrhoea tablets. Small packs of tissues.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
2 sets of socks and underwear, wearing one set the other on the radiator after being washed the night before snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, You won't need towels as L'Oxalys provides them as well as robes and little mule slippers for the pool.

I take almost enough undies and wash them in the sink towards the end of the week, 3 pairs of merino socks, 2 pairs of thermals. You don't really need spares (except maybe gloves if you think you might lose one). You will need a hat for going out in the evening. check out the essential packing list, somehwere on here but I can't remember where.

I can easily get everything into a medium size case (except skis and boots) and usually come in at around 17kg.

....... aren't you taking your skis? wink
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, one set of under garments of any description - just pick them off the wall from where they were thrown and stuck the night before Shocked

deffo neck warmer but otherwise not far off the mark Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Some places you need to wear a swim cap in the pool.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ickabodblue, not L'Oxalys (at least, not last year)
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
holidayloverxx, Ah that's lucky, they're not the most fetching items are they? Place I went to last year insisted and the only thing I could find was this hideous flowerey number Mad
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
A week's supply of Earl Grey teabags and fresh ground coffee. And if I'm staying in an apartment, a couple of sharp knives - the ones in the drawer are always blunt. A couple of scented candles and holders, particularly useful if you're sharing with blokes Toofy Grin iPod and portable speakers, lots of ibuprofen, Travelwash.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RachelQ,

Oi...are you saying we smell..??? Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
JT, yes Toofy Grin But sometimes nice.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, Am I right in thinking you're going down in Spydermans car? If so, travel as directed by pam w, , & you'll be wearing your skijacket & outside boots to travel in, so thats a lot of the bulky stuff dealt with.
snow report
as above, wear the bulkiest items whilst travelling
ski holidays
For outside boots I assume ordinary walking boots will do - or should I be looking at something of wellyboot height?. Sorry I know this sounds daft, but there is no need to walk around the resort where I go for holiday, but VT is larger - do the large resorts largely keep the pavements as well as the roads clear. I'm still trying for the Spydie mobile, but their plans aren't finalised yet, so I reserve the right to make an appearance on the train if needs be. Is a spare set of sallies and jacket a good idea?
latest report
RachelQ wrote:
A couple of scented candles and holders, particularly useful if you're sharing with blokes

I'm hurt...

Wink
ski holidays
Megamum, At the end of April there's every possibility that the pavements and roads around VT will be completely clear. I normally pack shoes or trainers. Can't see there's any need for spare ski outerwear unless you're going to try to ski across the lake Smile
snow report
Megamum, I'm self-banned from this thread as 'Lady' packing and mine are at least one universe apart rolling eyes I will howver watch as UK-retail shares recover Little Angel
snow report
DB wrote:

28 in size 4 wink
snow report
RachelQ wrote:
A week's supply of Earl Grey teabags and fresh ground coffee. And if I'm staying in an apartment, a couple of sharp knives - the ones in the drawer are always blunt. A couple of scented candles and holders, particularly useful if you're sharing with blokes Toofy Grin iPod and portable speakers, lots of ibuprofen, Travelwash.
You take Coffee!!!! To Europe!!!! I bring back coffee to England. One of the joys of going skiing is getting good coffee everywhere.

And yes, you need to carry a second pair of gloves with you each day for when the first pair get soggy and when you drop one off a chair lift, So think how you will carry them (you mighty need a bum bag).
snow report
Anniepen wrote:
DB wrote:

28 in size 4 wink

Thanks, I think we will need a trailer or a sixteen wheeler.
ski holidays
I really feel the cold, but I don't think I would bother with thermals in late April, so would only take one pair... RachelQ, I can't believe you take coffee either, and my apartment had three Sabatier knoves, so I don't really feel the need. Very Happy
ski holidays
As a keen cook I can fully sympathise with the take a decent knife scenario - I'm actually rather hopeful that on holiday this year I can find in the appartment drawer the two decent ones that I had the misfortune to leave behind last year Embarassed - We do use the same appartment so its on the cards as a possibility. I also need to take a replacement glass and plate with me - this year I shall be taking plastic 'china' for my kids rolling eyes It's soooo embarassing not to mention, I think, very bad form to break something in someones appartment, but at least I can try to replace it.

Mmmm....only one set of outer wear - shall I take the Trespass orange set or the second hand orange/black spyder jacket and black Tchibo sallies - decisions, decisions Laughing Laughing

I'll also need to remember my contact lenses - in fact I'll just go and put them on my list, as not wearing them everyday they are easily forgotten.

Also, please tell me I'm not the only one who is now finding every excuse to go and look at my ski gear cupboard examine stuff and put it neatly away again, so far I've come up with to check that I enough of everything, that it is all clean, that the kids have enough thermals and socks, that the kids helmets still fit them, that the kids goggles still fit them, that the kids outer wear still fits them.......etc. I think I might have a problem Embarassed Embarassed
snow report
Megamum, And lists - I just keep writing lists of all the things I need to take for me and for the kids..... and checking that it will all fit
I'm not going away until March! Embarassed maybe if we got therapy together it would be cheaper
latest report
Don't forget a buff and lots of those small packs of tissues.
snow report
snowball wrote:
You take Coffee!!!! To Europe!!!! I bring back coffee to England. One of the joys of going skiing is getting good coffee everywhere.
Good coffee? In France? I've never been served a decent coffee in France.

Italy or Spain (or my kitchen) for good coffee, but not France.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
NickB, I only occasionally get good coffee in England but generally do in France and always in Italy. I am talking about what the French call coffee of course - ie espresso (or "express" in France - though you never need to say it you just ask for coffee)

I took long-johns skiing a few times but never worn them once. In my experience I am much more often too hot than too cold when out skiing.
latest report
Sadly, the French had to invent their own roast in an attempt to disguise the awful flavour of the cheap South-East Asian robusta beans they insist on importing. I stick to hot chocolate in France. At least they can get that right; especially with a tot of the cognac I carry in a small hip-flask (something else the French got right) Very Happy
ski holidays
Toiletries - I have 3 small bottles (was given set of Trevor Sorbie shampoo etc from Boots and kept them) and I refill them, so I get to take the shampoo/cond/shwr gel I like but the containers are small, lightweight & hold enough for a week's worth.

Aren't you taking your super duper boot warmer thingy? I keep meaning to ask you about that - how big is it? How expensive? I am flying with the orange beastie from Luton, so really have to keep the packing down, but suffer such cold feet that ensureing the boots are dry each night sounds well worth it.
ski holidays
Butterfly, Yes, I will try to fit the boot warmer in - if memory serves it was about £20-30, but it was worth shopping around on the net. In its case its as big as a small shoe box, but I'd travel it out of the box if I took it to France with me and then it folds down to about the size of a large shoe + its relatively lightweight cable and plug - it does make the boots lovely and toasty warm - mine's a thermic one
snow conditions
Ta for that info - suppose it'd travel in your boots?
snow report
They have Guatemalan ground coffee in Geant and Champion in Briancon and Sherpa in Monetier, and lots of Lavazza, but we do have lots of Italians around I drink the same stuff at home, Percol brand and Lavazza Club for the espresso.
ski holidays
Butterfly, Well that's where I'm going to try to stuff it, but haven't tried yet!!
snow conditions
snowball, I take coffee too wink 750g of Whittards Santos & Java (4 of us for 2 weeks) - we all have to start the day with a good expresso wink
ski holidays
http://www.ellis-brigham.com/thermic.htm which ones are yours? The £22 ones look quite small/light but are the £35 ones better?

Do you know if they are ok with heat moulded custom footbeds?
snow conditions
Megamum, A lot of places where you stay have ski rooms with boot warmers, so you don't necessarily need those. I've pretty much got my packing sorted - I can pack for two of us for about 35kg. For me - ski boots, 4 pairs ski socks, 2 x first layer, 2 x fleece, 2 pairs walking boot socks, 1 x smart pair jeans, walking boots, ski jacket and trousers, 2 silk shirts, 1 pair velvet trousers, 1 x dress, 1 cardigan or jumper, 1 pair heels, sundry make-up and sun-screen, bras & pants. I have a holdall that weighs about 2kg, if that. Little Angel
latest report
Butterfly, I've got the £35 ones; a mate brought them out for me as I found that, after I had been here a week or so my feet were getting colder each day. I figured it could be a cumulative effect of the boots not quite drying out each day, and since I've used the dryer I've noticed a considerable improvement.
ski holidays
Megamum, Do they not have water or shops in the resort? Shocked One tube of travel wash weighs and takes up less space than the multiple pairs of socks/underwear. I think you should do some ski touring where you carry all you NEED on your back. wink
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy