Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flying From Manchester - Boots in Hand Luggage?

Poster: A snowHead
Apologies for the duplicate post (there is a similar boots in Hand luggage question below) - however, i am specifically after info from anyone who has flown recently from Manchester...

I have always taken my boots on as hand luggage and have never had a problem - however, the recent thread on here reports that a number of UK airports has placed a ban on boots as hand luggage, but there is no mention of Manchester airport.

Has anyone flown out this season from Manchester and taken their boots through security as hand luggage?

Cheers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Does anyone out there know? I'm flying out of Manchester in March so am also interested.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It may depend on the carrier you are with. I have taken on hand luggage with no problems (not boots) and at other times have had my hand luggage weighed (max is 6kg) and tested in the rack for size. I've never had a problem taking boots in a boot bag and putting them in the hold.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Going with BMI Baby.... have scoured the small print and no mention of ski boots or weight restriction at all.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
magic_hat, Why don't you call bmi Baby and/or the airport to check? Might be the easiest way and the definitive answer.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Calling BMI Baby is like calling my gran with dementia. A different answer every time, and all of them blatently guesses!

Tried Manchester Airport, but can only speak to switchboard and info desk. They didn't know, said i needed to speak to security but couldn't put me through!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
magic_hat, I'm travelling bmiBaby from Manchester also on Friday this week. I just spoke to Security at Terminal 3 and was told that they can't see any reason why I can't carry ski boots in hand luggage. They are not banned items. Also Manchester have just lifted hand luggage restrictions and are now allowing 2 bags, although bmiBaby's website still says 1 hand bag, but with no weigth restrictions.

I'm only going to put my boots in my hand baggage if my suitcase is over the 20kg allowance.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jo66, Cheers for that! Good news! Going to try and risk taking my helmet through as well.

You on the Geneva flight i presume? I'll be the person at check-in kicking off about my skis/boots/helmet!!
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
magic_hat, Yeah - me and a friend, Jonie, will be on the WW3885 at 0620 Fri 14Jan. Coming back Mon am. I'll be in a red O'Neill jacket, jeans, trainers. Short dark hair & glasses - say hi if you see me!
Where are you staying?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Both the same flights as me!

I've got a hire car booked and am off to Les Contamines in France. Will say Hi if i spot you!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Going from manchester on the 19th. Since we can now take a piece of hand luggage each, I'll be putting boots in suitcase and an assortment of clothes in a carry-on bag.
It makes sense to have a change of clothing available in case of severe delays/lost baggage anyway, so why take the chance?
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
youspurs1 wrote:
Going from manchester on the 19th. Since we can now take a piece of hand luggage each, I'll be putting boots in suitcase and an assortment of clothes in a carry-on bag.
It makes sense to have a change of clothing available in case of severe delays/lost baggage anyway, so why take the chance?

because in the event of my suitcase going missing I'd rather have to buy a change of clothing than be stuck without my ski boots!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

because in the event of my suitcase going missing I'd rather have to buy a change of clothing than be stuck without my ski boots!

Good point. Embarassed
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If in doubt put the boots in your case and fill your hand luggage to the maximum allowed.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
magic_hat, We're off to Avoriaz - got a transfer booked. Will keep an eye open for friendly looking people who could be Snowheads!
latest report
*Update* from bmibaby...

Travelling with ski boots? If they are not packed with your skis, you will need to add another bag to your booking in order to check-in your ski boots. Please note that bmibaby does not permit ski boots to be carried onboard or as hand baggage.
snow report
Russtavo, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Presumably they do allow boots to be carried in hold luggage?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy