Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What gloves have you got? Do you get wet hands?

Poster: A snowHead
DaveC, wink
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
DaveC, Very Happy Very Happy

spyderjon, NehNeh NehNeh Neh, Neh, Na, Neh, Neh, NehNeh NehNeh Laughing Laughing
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum wrote:
DaveC, Very Happy Very Happy

spyderjon, NehNeh NehNeh Neh, Neh, Na, Neh, Neh, NehNeh NehNeh Laughing Laughing

YEAH ditto! wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DaveC,
Agree.

On certain trips and jaunts, you might think that the ability to lose gloves is just not a good idea. You don't want to lose any kit, anyhow, so ties/leases etc are just the start of making things a bit easier...or fewer things to go wrong.

You might carry a tool for adjustments and eventualities, for example, but you don't cater for a dropped glove.... Puzzled Puzzled Shocked Puzzled
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
well, i carry a spare pair of gloves in my pack anyway Wink but that's only after a buddy lost a glove in a big big fall and a totally numb hand w/ frostbite potential was the last thing extra we needed in the situ... plus, they're nice on wet days.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Last season I treated myself to a high quality pair of gloves (can't remember the make) at about £65. I also bought a pair of gloves from Lidl at about £5.99. Of these, which did I lose one of on the third day of a ski week? Sod's bloody law rolling eyes

The Lidl gloves were bought just for resort use but have turned out to be warm and dry in some fairly foul conditions on the mountain. Just a little short in the cuff for my liking - I prefer a gauntlet type so that I can avoid a chilly gap between glove and cuff. I also got some good fleece shirts in Aldi at a modest price. The problem with these stores is that they seem to have particular themes each week, so if you miss the ski week you've had it till next year.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Picadilly wrote:
I refuse to spend £70 on Spyder gloves or anything that expensive, but I just wondered if anyone had any suggestions.

You really do pay for what you get with gloves, arguably the most important piece of ski clothing in my opinion, bad leaky or cold gloves equals an unpleasant days skiing. An extra £20-£30 on gloves is a small price for not spoiling a couple of days of your expensive ski holiday.

I have a pair of top-end £70 Patagonia gloves for cold and wet days, and a cheaper £35 pair of Salomon gloves for spring conditions.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
BrightonSki wrote:

You really do pay for what you get with gloves, arguably the most important piece of ski clothing in my opinion, bad leaky or cold gloves equals an unpleasant days skiing. An extra £20-£30 on gloves is a small price for not spoiling a couple of days of your expensive ski holiday.

I have a pair of top-end £70 Patagonia gloves for cold and wet days, and a cheaper £35 pair of Salomon gloves for spring conditions.

Mehhh, well if I spend a large wedge on another pair I am STILL not buying Spyders cos they don't have leashes and there's no way I'd risk losing one of them! Will look into some getting Hestras and keep my other ones as spares. Thing is, my Scott ones were originally £50 (half price in a sale though!) so I thought they'd stay dry inside. Ah well.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
So it's not cool to have a cord up one sleeve, across the shoulders & down the other & have your gloves dangling from them when off your mitts?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Only if it's elastic so people can twang 'em. Idiot Mittens (TM) are so in for '08.

Level gloves are the best I've tried recently - seperate inners too, so they don't turn inside out and can be taken apart to dry overnight.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I wear cheap gloves and have never got wet hands Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Reusch for skiing and Flexmeter for boarding. Warm dry paws at all times.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Level for boarding and now I have taken the biomex out, for skiing as well. Bombroof and warm. The outers are mitts and the inners are removable fingered fleece gloves. I had Hestra gauntlets before and the Levels are better.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
After my Dakine gloves gave up the ghost, I bit the bullet and bought a pair of Hestra Army Leather XCR Gloves. I love 'em. I suffer from sweaty hands now and again, but it doesn't seem to happen with these.

For the fashion-conscious, the leashes are removeable. They also come with a little carabiner that you can use to hang them from. There's even a small leather loop on the little fingers so you can hang the glove with the opening downwards so you don't get snow inside.
ski holidays
I got some excellent phoenix gloves (most cheaply in the sale Smile), they are really comfortable and I'm panic struck about losing one, even though I've never even dropped a glove, let alone lost one.

I have some cheaper (lesser quality) gloves for the backpack should one be lost and I'm seriously considering getting out some elastic and a needle & thread! Ooh!

Edit: I have only ever got the wet sweaty hand discomfort from cheapy gloves.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 8-01-08 15:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
My old Lowe Alpine mountain gloves are on their way out now, after 15 odd years of winter climbing and a few of skiing. I put my own wrist leashes on (often have to take them off and let them dangle fiddling around with gear - the same holds with chair lifts). I did find that buying gloves designed for mountaineering was a lot cheaper in the past but now they have started to attract the trendy price tags... guess I'll make mine last another season and buy cheap in the spring sales.
snow conditions
I use Marigolds, and never suffer from wet hands..... rolling eyes
ski holidays
DaveC, I like that I can answer my phone on a lift
Burn him! Evil or Very Mad
snow report
I always have warm hands and feet so insulation is not a big issue when I am skiing so I wear some leather motor cycle gloves. The ones I use have lasted at least ten years of two weeks a year skiing. I got some more for Mrs Trenmold last year from our local hairy biker shop and they were about £30 for high quality, soft leather ladies gloves. Certainly better than being ripped off for £50 or more for so called "skiing" gloves.
ski holidays
Skied for nine weeks in Argentina so did the whole season, freezing weather through to warm and my Dakine gloves stood me good for the whole season. A group of 40 of us all with different gloves so it was a good test. The dakines I got were £70 off season and have a removable fleece inner (perfect for taking out and washing if you get sweaty palms.) One issue a few of the guys found was carrying freshly edged ski's in the palm of your hand will slice a rip into some of the less quality gloves, notably rossignol gloves tended to rip really easily. Mine stayed perfect so my vote is for Dakine. .....although they are really snowboard gloves rather than ski gloves.
snow conditions
Soooo... how come Snowheads doesn't have a 'report spam' link anywhere obvious on posts or discussions? Is it really that infrequent here?

It is just a case of 'pm admin', or am I too blind to see the magic buttons?
latest report
Serriadh, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=58222&start=2640 wink
snow report
My north face gore tex gloves work really well in all weathers. I think you're going to have to suck it up and buy some technical ones.

If you want to look at some bike gloves try Gore windstoppers or sealskinz winter gloves, I've used both riding in the winter.
snow report
fixx, cheers. I'll make a note for next time!

homers double, check the date of the OP...
snow report
Darn these thick gloves, I appear to have hit the "delete" button Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Ha, sorry.
ski holidays
I get stupidly warm hands, I use the cheap and nasty £1 one size stretch to fit gloves you find in bargain bins everywhere, I carry a couple of spare pairs in my pockets, if they get wet I swap them over. I do carry a pair of waterproof mitts just in case it gets crazy cold but they have only been out of my bag a couple of times whilst in Canada in January, I didn't need them whilst actually skiing but it would have been purgatory on the lifts or waiting at the bus stop in the minus 28c temps.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Another vote for Hestra. Mine are leather and while I have a problem with cold hands, these are the best gloves I've found for wicking moisture out and away from the hands Very Happy
snow report
What about the Dakine Rovers? These little guys are under £70, they are last years model but cheap imo, most places they are 4 out of 5, just a thought Smile
http://www.theboardbasement.com/snow-Gloves/Dakine-Rover-Snowboard-Ski-Gloves-2011-in-Black/960
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy