Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Economics.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Any one shed some light on why the Pound is taking such a beating off a very strong Canadian dollar? I remember an aside made that they dont matter as it makes very little difference but this time one year ago you received 2.3 Canadian for your shiny Pound, now its 1.87, by my reckoning I have lost not just a small amount due to exchange rates but nearly 1000 dollars!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rossfra8 wrote:
Any one shed some light on why the Pound is taking such a beating off a very strong Canadian dollar? I remember an aside made that they dont matter as it makes very little difference but this time one year ago you received 2.3 Canadian for your shiny Pound, now its 1.87, by my reckoning I have lost not just a small amount due to exchange rates but nearly 1000 dollars!

Could be worse, we are in the process of the emigration procedure to Vancouver Sad
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Damn, last week I leant some English friends $1000 and said they could pay me £500, I thought it was back to the 2:1 mark Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
no where near unfortunately!! then I would have had another couple hundred Sad
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rossfra8 wrote:

for the same reasons its taking a beating from other currencies.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Rossfra8, Interest rates were high and the UK was seen as a good place to keep money. Now interest rates have dropped and it now seems certain rates will drop further putting money tino the UK doesn't seem such a good idea?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof, clever answer but if you dive away from your witty one liners and realise maybe I am not aware of the reasons-then you may be able to come up with an appropriate response in relation to the question posed. Thanks for being constructive. thefatcontroller, thanks for the response-your time for an explanation is appreciated-maybe davidof could learn a thing or two from it.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It's more or less two things: interest rates and oil. UK interest rates are relatively high but are considered to have peaked and the general view is may drop 0.25 percent at next mtg of wise men. Canada is relatively oil rich (where as UK is no longer) and with oil at current high, in order to buy that oil, people have to pay in CAD (oil that until relatively recently it was economically not worthwhile to extract). Money/funds exiting sterling (a bit) + high cost of oil.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Rossfra8,

A few things are coming home to roast and the stewardship of the economy hasn't been all that. Plus of course, despite Brown boasting that we have had a good growth period, he spent it all...instead of trying to reduce debt, which any prudent chancellor would do......!!

So now, with a few factors like a credit squeeze and nervous banks, we have no room to manouvre...and the choices are inlation or reduce interest rates.
The country is demanding a reduction but at what cost...

Typical short-term Brownism. He had hoped this wouldn't come apart on his shift but when it surely will, it will have his sticky prints all over it.

What are the bets of him never getting voted in.....?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Rossfra8 wrote:
davidof, clever answer but if you dive away from your witty one liners and realise maybe I am not aware of the reasons-then you may be able to come up with an appropriate response in relation to the question posed. Thanks for being constructive. thefatcontroller, thanks for the response-your time for an explanation is appreciated-maybe davidof could learn a thing or two from it.

Maybe you could learn to use the search function? there is a whole thread on this.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've got a shed load of Canadian Dollars that I didn't change back. Bought them at 2.25. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
davidof, for your information my search function does not work-it just throws every post back without a refined search-so how about your learn to have a little respect for those who might not have the same knowledge of the subject as you do. Spyderman, wish i'd thought of that! Crying or Very sad
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Rossfra8 wrote:
davidof, for your information my search function does not work-it just throws every post back without a refined search-so how about your learn to have a little respect for those who might not have the same knowledge of the subject as you do. Spyderman, wish i'd thought of that! Crying or Very sad

go to Google.com (it is a search engine):

exchange rates site:snowheads.com
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Rossfra8, I think Davidof is referring to the discussion on this thread about Euro exchange rates: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=33995

There's a bit on there about the Canadian dollar and general economics stuff about why Sterling is suffering on the Forex markets.

I'm concerned about the purchasing power of my pound too as I'm off to Banff at the end of Feb.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Im really anoyed, I thought about getting my money for my Canada trip back in September (when it was still $2+ for a £) but instead decided to put it off till i had earned the money (rather than raiding the savings)
Once it fell below 2 - 1 I kept holding off hopeing it would improve, now its a week to go till i fly to whistler and looking like i will be lucky to get 1.87 Sad Im just glad that for the past year a lot of relitives have gone to canada, and I have been given their left over money, ended up with about $200. Had hoped that it would cover food/drink for my extra week before the course starts, but looks like it will now just cover the money lost by not buying in September.....

Off to the bank/postoffice/where ever has the best rate to go and get my money changed, just hope it will be enough to last the 3 months...
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy