Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has skiing become more dangerous?

Poster: A snowHead
I get the impression that since the introduction of the new generation of carving skis, life on the piste has become decidedly more dangerous. The main reason for that being the speeds that even fairly novice skiers can attain while maintaining at least the appearance of remaining in control. Add to that the fact that with carvers one tends to use the radius of the ski more fully, meaning that skiers use up more room on the piste than they used to. Add Alcohol and you've got an explosive situation on your hands...
This is confirmed by statements from an Austrian surgeon ( I forget the name ) who operates in Innsbruck. He stated that the kind of injuries he sees coming in off the pistes these days resemble motorbike injuries more than the skiing injuries of latter years. And he sees more of them as well.
Any opinions on that? Given that most injuries involve alcohol, should slaes of alcohol be restricted to the Apres rather than the Intra-Ski?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mike Lawrie wrote:
Given that most injuries involve alcohol, should slaes of alcohol be restricted to the Apres rather than the Intra-Ski?

I didn't know that. I'd be pretty p..d off if alcohol were banned in mountain restaurants. I enjoy the occasional beer at lunchtime: never more than two small / one large, and I don't think it turns me into a safety hazard. What is the attitude of insurance companies? If they didn't pay out to anyone significantly under the influence, that might deter some. I guess that would need breathalysers, urine samples and so on. Does that happen now?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Viewing this from a 40-year perspective of sliding around mountains, there's no question that the collision risk has increased. The high-speed collisions, which certainly didn't happen in the 'old days', are of particular concern. If people want to enjoy speed they should do it very early in the morning when the pistes are empty. It's a huge buzz to ski deserted mountains.

I regularly implore people to train seriously. A serious two-week application to learning the fundamentals of controlling skis pays dividends and radically reduces the risk of personal injury and injury to others. Work up to an instructor's licence if you really want to make a lifetime investment, but this really requires spending a whole winter in the mountains to get the miles, strength and fitness up.

What an appalling proposition, I know.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The reason skiing has become more dangerous (and it definately has) is because there are more people on the slopes, in the same way that the increasing number of cars on the roads has made driving more dangerous, of course the fact that people spend less time taking lessons might be a contributing factor as well
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
D G Orf, do you (or does anyone else) have any statistics to back up these claims, i.e. it's more dangerous, there are more people (thought there were less in the last couple of years in Europe?), fewer people are properly trained etc?

I'm not really doubting your points, but it would be nice to see some figures.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Going off on a tangent, I came across the following on the Bupa site, quoting Vanessa Haines, spokesperson for the Ski Club of Great Britain ....
Quote:
According to one report, the chance of injury while skiing is lower than even angling.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

According to one report, the chance of injury while skiing is lower than even angling

This may well be true, and while i find angling very boring, the fish hook in the finger is somewhat preferable to being hit by someone on skis
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The Austrians will never ban alcohol on the slopes. That would be commercial suicide . Its all part of the "gemütlichkeit" .

Many skiers/borders (especially from non-german speaking countries) are a liitle naive regarding the allready existing laws & very harsh penalties for skiing the slopes seriously under the influence in Austria.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
laundryman, I have no proof whatsoever just anecdotal evidence, however I do agree that given the high speed nature of snowsports we have a still fairly low rate of accidents. I suspect that the ski industry would rather not tell us just how many injuries occur in different locations each season, it would be interesting to find out though
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
SteveG wrote:
Quote:

According to one report, the chance of injury while skiing is lower than even angling

This may well be true, and while i find angling very boring, the fish hook in the finger is somewhat preferable to being hit by someone on skis

I thought it was a totally daft thing to come out with, if indeed the SCGB spokesperson was correctly quoted in the first place. What kind of angling? Harpooning sharks while scuba diving? Fishing for minnows in the local pond? What kind of injury?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I was under the i8mpression (although my statistics might be a bit old), that ski-ing is 4 times safer than playing football. However, if you add snowboarding into the statistics the rates change dramatically. Unfortunately (as far as I know) all the statistics are now made up to include both sports.

The nature of ski-ing injuries has changed along with the equipment. Very few people now break their legs or ankles, and there are lots more soft tissue injuries (knees - acl) and dislocations from collisions.

The answer is not in the speed, it may be in the alcohol - remember that 2 small beers at altitude are equivalent to approx 2 big ones at home, but is largely in the "me" culture of today.

Many holiday skiers are not taught how to behave on the pistes as often as they should be. They don't take enough lessons and become "good" skiers - they just fly around thinking they're good because they're going fast.

Fast and steep DO NOT equal good.
CONTROL does NOT equal slow.
CONTROL EQUALS GOOD.

Rant Over!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
laundryman wrote:
I guess that would need breathalysers, urine samples and so on. Does that happen now?

Skiing while "impaired by alcohol" is already against the law in Colorado:

http://www.dora.state.co.us/tramway/SkierSafetyStatute.htm#109
(scroll down to Para 9)

And in the Nathan Hall case, Hall did have to undergo a blood test, although his alcohol levels came out below the limit (apparently he had only had one beer), which I think is the same as for driving.
The case is mentioned here:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/1148155.stm
By the way I agree totally with the quote there from "Conrad Bartelski", who is probably closely related to Konrad Bartelski.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Mike Lawrie wrote:
Given that most injuries involve alcohol

Ugh, whatever happened to going to the mountains to get away from it all? Puzzled

TBH I never quite got Apres Ski - first lift up and last run down and my bed is a short distance the other side of a large pizza (hmm, interesting mental image I'm conjuring up - must see an analyst)... I can get beered up 100m down the road but I sure as heck can't ski big mountains in Kent (ok, there's Diggerland but it's not quite the same).

Are there any first-to-last skiers left out there? Or am I just getting on a bit... Crying or Very sad

Seriously, alcohol and skiing mix about as well as alcohol and driving.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I don't think that there's anything wrong with the occasional beer at lunch time, and nothing beats a few Vin Chaud sitting out in the snow at the end of a long days skiing.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
"first-to-last skiers out there" > This isnt very a good policy most people are physically done after 4hours of non-stop skiing especially if it is there once a year 1 or 2 week holiday.
A large majority of accidents happen when people bodies become fatiqued .
Best practice, get up early first lifts with the locals , ski hill fast as a previous post mentions. Its amzing how much vertical you can do in 2 hours with empty pistes & empty liftlines. Then relax with the tourists in the liftlines listening to them moaning about the Q's, etc knowing they will never match the vertical you had competed before they reached the lifts Smile
snow conditions
I once saw a program about the influence of alcohol on your ability to drive. Basically they took some men and women out on an airfield, put up a slalom course and told them to drive round the course. All of the participants managed to do it without any problems. Then they each drank a standard measure of vodka (equivalent to one pint of beer), waited twenty minutes and ten drove round the course again. The results were pretty amazing. Although every one of the participants thought that their driving ability was at 100%, every one of them ended up knocking over bollards on the course!
Best of all, alcohol gives you a kind of 'tunnel vision' in that your field of perception becomes narrowed after even small ammounts have been consumed. And if you consider that when skiing on a crowded piste, with people coming at you from left and right, your peripheral vision is more than a little bit important to you. Well what else needs to be said?
The only collsiion I have had in 40+ years of skiing was after a very gemuetliche lunch at the Rodlerhuette in St.Anton. Never even saw the other guy! That's when I decided to restrict my drinking activities to (at the earliest) the Krazy Kanguru on the last run down!
snow conditions
stanton, I always been a 1st to last skier Usually have 2 breaks 1 before lunch and 1 after lunch that way you get the quiet early start and smaller lift queues at lunch time. It does become hard to avoid the mad rush at the end of the day but I just try and not leave to many lift connections to get back. I do however refrain from drinking alcohol during the day. I find it does affect me even a few small ones so I don't drink now. Makes the bar at happy hour even more tempting
ski holidays
Mikes original hypothesis was that carving skis have made skiing more dangerous. It seems to me that the main impact of carving skis has been to make it acceptable to ski shorter skis. You certainly don't see them being carved very often.
snow conditions
neilswingler, They are easier to turn, Does this make less experienced skiers over confident or make then safer where they would have been otherwise out of control, because lets face it if they are at the top of a run they usually come down it
ski holidays
neilswingler wrote:
Mikes original hypothesis was that carving skis have made skiing more dangerous. It seems to me that the main impact of carving skis has been to make it acceptable to ski shorter skis. You certainly don't see them being carved very often.

I reckon you're 100% correct, I wonder how many would agree with you/us though. Carving isn't actually always a very useful technique it turns out anyway, while it's fun it doesn't always aid us in the things we're really mostly bothered about, ie speed and direction or avoiding other people Very Happy
latest report
Am I missing a beat here? Surely carving skis do aid speed, by offering the least amount of resistance by virtue of skiing on an edge. Similarly, carving turns for changes in direction surely provide more stable turns, as the edge digs or rather cuts into the slope.

As for avoiding other people, if they chose to occupy the same space that you do at the same time, then a collision is inevitable. The only question is about who has the right to be at that spot at that time. And that is the lesson skiers and boarders need to understand when learning. Maybe the first lesson should be a sort of mountain highway code with some supporting literature. An expence perhaps, but a lesser one than the medical and insurance bills if the problem gets worse.

The "sexing up" of the sport may well now appeal to younger skiers/boarders than has historically been the case, and there have been plenty of discussions that have suggested that this could be where part of the problem lies.
ski holidays
easiski wrote:
I was under the i8mpression (although my statistics might be a bit old), that ski-ing is 4 times safer than playing football. However, if you add snowboarding into the statistics the rates change dramatically.

I'm not sure that's true. I think you'll find the age bracket of the riders has a greater correlation to the accident rate than the type sport.

Here's one study http://www.tf.org/tf/lib&data/ski5.html

and another http://www.monmouth.com/~dschutz/accident.htm which states : "Based on their observations and evidence, skiers run into snowboarders more often than the other way around"
snow report
Carving skis may be something to do with increased ski-ing accident trauma, but I remember when in Colorado 5 years ago, there was the threat hanging over you that if you were spotted ski-ing recklessly in beginners' area, or an area approaching the end of the run you ran the risk of having your lift pass taken away. In this day and age unfortunately self regulation doesn't work, so it is perhaps time to put in place regulations on speed on certain parts of the mountain. I am not an advocate of the "nanny state", but I certainly believe reckless skiers should be held to book if they cause accidents which cause serious personal injury. I think (correct if I'm wrong) but many US resorts don't tolerate reckless skiers, and perhaps European resorts should be made more accountable for the behaviour of their patrons on the slopes also. Difficult balance though Sad
ski holidays
Sadly for me, neither instructor nor coach am I.

IMHPO, carvers haven't made people speed freaks. Carvers have made it easier to learn to ski, initiate turns, etc. So is there a snowboarder like lack of experience on the piste. That is, is it much easier to progress faster without gaining respect for speed, others, gradient... & is may be a factor.

That said, it seems that the common failing of 10 years ago, not being able to complete a turn, still applies. Again IMHO, Carvers aid initialisation, not completion (don't they?), so you might intuit that Self limits still apply ("I'm scared, I'm going too fast") because I haven't completed the turn and can't slow myself down. They don't, per se, make people better skiers, just make one of the hardest elements easier.

From above, do people use more room on the slope than they used to? I reckon they use just as much...

Can I suggest that the problem maybe simply down to a much increased use of the slope, particularly at weekends (blaming cheap airlines)? (Not that I want for an instant to make it more difficult for me to weekend on snow). It seems to me that slopes are way busier than they were, say, 10 years ago. That would seem a much more obvious reason for "motorcycle like" injuries than carving skis.
snow report
easiski, has it right CONTROL is the important factor
snow report
D G Orf, The problem is that there is a difference between thinking you are in control, and being in control. Carvers definitely give you a sense of being in control at speeds where on 'old' skis I would have started to feel uneasy about things. When I bought my first pair of carvers (Voelkl P30) I found myself hammering down the Kandahar in Garmisch at speeds where I would normally wear a helmet. It was easy. On the old skis there always came a point where I felt that things were just getting too fast. On carvers that point comes a lot later. Whether that is due to the shape of the skis or because skis are made of more advanced materials these days I don't know, but I do know that the overall speed on the piste has increased, and that that is causing accidents to be more severe than they, on average, used to be.
ski holidays
We shouldn't blame the tools. People's attitudes and lack of proper education/coaching/knowledge of piste etiquette, combine to make this sport more dangerous than it already is. Alcohol compounds the problem. The carving ski gives you greater control, not less. It's up to the skier to use this extra manoeuvrability responsibly, surely.
ski holidays
I think that after a couple of weeks sking, the majority of people tend to think that they don't need lessons anymore. People do seem to think that they are invincible. I suppose that carving skis and snowboards both of which allow for fast progress and resulting perhaps in people think that they can tackle a black after not being on snow for 12 months. Its like anything - general public en-mass can lead to more 'mis-haps'.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I would agree with PG, on his last point. A lack of education would appear to be the root cause. I for one, enjoy blasting down the piste, but only from the viewpoint that I've invested quite heavily in lessons and coaching and taking proper note of the "skiers code". That won't protect me from those that believe they're in control enough, when they clearly aren't, but there's not much I can do about that.

I wonder, with the increase in skiing and boarding among the general populace, what the situation would be like had carvers not become the ski of choice, and the old "straights" were the accepted model. With the mindset of some people, carnage I would have thought.
snow report
Improved grooming has also tempted people into skiing faster. IMHO, one of the most dangerous places on the mountain nowadays is at the edge of a groomed, tree-lined, blue run.
snow report
I would like to see more piste patrollers in areas of bottle-necks or well known black spots who are prepared to have a quiet word with the more reckless element and remove their passes if necessary!
snow report
Diarmuid, these are interesting papers, but sadly as out of date as I thought my information was. The first paper refers to many others (which presumably had the real "meat" in them). If I get a chance I'll ask a friend whos a PhD biomechanist and race trainer if he can shed any light on the issue.

Mike Lawrie, It's really very simple - if you're going so fast (even if that's actually very slowly) that you can't take in everything that's going on around you, then you're ski-ing out of control. You should be able to see not just in front but to the side, and you should be able to look a good way ahead and judge where someone will be by the time you get there. Most people look at a point about 2m in front of their skis - what chance do they have of seeing anything?

sarah@alpedhuez, sad, but true. However I blame the ski teachers (myself excluded of course!) Poor tuition, lack of care by the teachers and people don't want to carry on with lessons - they can't see the point. If the beginner is properly brought up he'll go on having lessons for most of his ski-ing life. snowHead
ski holidays
I've never snowboarded drunk, but it sounds like a good way to end up hurting yourself and others. It is about as cool as driving drunk, except without the airbags.
latest report
I will note that in Italy over the last few weeks it was just as well that the usual holiday crowds weren't around. A lot of people skiing way to fast for their abilities on hard packed and icy pistes. I have to imagine that this is partially due to the "pseudo-control" that carvers pretend to impart.

I reckon that, say, 10 years ago, the ski felt less in control and people skied more slowly.
snow report
I would say that at speed carvers don't feel any less scary than old straight ones.
ski holidays
Martin Bell wrote:
Improved grooming has also tempted people into skiing faster. IMHO, one of the most dangerous places on the mountain nowadays is at the edge of a groomed, tree-lined, blue run.

Indeed - like a Motorway hard shoulder - only quieter and cleaner air!
ski holidays
As a non snowboarder I dont have any real idea about this.....

Can a snowboard turn and swerve as sharply as skis?
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, you're clearly: a. not Italian, b. not there or c. on different skis wink
ski holidays
David Murdoch, I think you're right, but the pistes were not a flat then - wonderful what a few bumps can do for the general speed of the less competent skiers!
snow report
It would be interesting if there were any data to support Mike Lawrie's impression. I thought all the major French resorts sent in data of every accident to a central database. If so, there should be evidence one way or another.
But I am inclined to agree with Mike. For 2 reasons:
1. So many skiers rate their day not by the fun they have had, but by the distance they have travelled, the number of pistes they have "done" and how many Reds and Blacks they have gone down.
2. Resorts are encouraging more and more people to stay by building more and more chalets and hotels. In Olden Days with rickety lifts this would have just meant longer lift queues, but these days of six-person chairs with Warp Drive the queues are being transferred to the piste, which means more crowded pistes. Crowded pistes means accidents.
I reckon the rot started when it was no longer "cool" to go out in multicoloured day-glo suits. Skiing is not about Cool. Skiing is about snowball fights and tree routes and funny hats and laughter. Skiing is about Silly (but not Stupid).
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy