Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sore calves ??

Poster: A snowHead
Just back from 4 days in Obertauern and was a bit surprised to find our whole party were getting really sore calves at night and first thing in the morning .... good intermediates and very good skiers a like. Walking to the bathroom in the morning universally produced loud grunts and groans !!

Don't remember this ever being so common before .. anyone know if it's a technique or boot thing ?? It was very hard snow the first couple of days and we spent a lot of the time on icy blacks ... we were wondering if maybe this could have somethign to do with it.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RichA,
Quote:

icy blacks

Yeah, I do ALL the wrong things on ice, including leaning back and gripping with my toes - both fairly likely to produce sore calves, I think.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
My calves are still suffering from my first outing of the season (about a week ago). going for a sports massage tonight which will probably make me cry.
for me, i think it's just the fact that i have quite inflexible ankles/short calf muscles. i try to keep them stretched through the year but the first bit of skiing is always a shock.
would be interested in responses from any "qualified people" in case there are any magic ways to avoid this. stretching and heel lifts in my boots have made a bit of a difference in the past but only make it a bit better rather than getting rid of the pain altogether
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Uddermint. Wonderful stuff.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My solution is to get the muscles warm (sauna, hot tub, whatever) train some water jets on them if possible (sort of low-cost massage) and then lots of stretching. And the next morning, hop out of bed, fall on floor in agony, apply Ibuprofen gel, swear a lot. Repeat ad lib.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
the confusing thing is that it can be caused by good technique and very tight calves (getting forward and stretching them after months of neglect) or weak technique (leaning back).

I have big, strong and not very flexible calves. I do try and stretch them but I'm still expecting pain when I get started. I do find it gets better after a couple of days though.
Incidently, the only way I can really pursuade my calves to stretch is to hang off a step on one foot - weight resting on the ball, heel hanging below my toes and apply my full body weight to one calf at a time for about a minute.

J
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hurtle wrote:
And the next morning, hop out of bed, fall on floor in agony, apply Ibuprofen gel, swear a lot. Repeat ad lib.

like it !!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jedster wrote
Quote:

hang off a step on one foot - weight resting on the ball, heel hanging below my toes and apply my full body weight to one calf at a time for about a minute.

Is that recommended? Only after a warm up I would think.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Ibuprofen gel

Is that good stuff. I'm only getting a long weekend in Feb and can't afford to be incapacitated. Any magic gels/creams that can be recommended (not sure about the Uddermint) would be appreciated.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
My personal (amateur) theory is that the condition is exacerbated by high-heel wearing (you know who you are guys! Smile ). If I even mimic the position of my calves in my normal shoes and then a forward ski-stance, it's fairly obvious that the muscles will be stretched far beyond anything they are used to. I tried doing calf exercises at the gym (on the edge of steps as described above) but don't think it made much difference to be honest.

Deep Heat was no good but the Ibuprofen gel my Mam gave me (Phorpain, I think) really eased things - especially as our loo was down a couple of steps from the part of the room where the bed was so the night-time calls of nature were seriously painful.

Rebecca
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My calves were kiiling me after the first few days this season. Then luckily they seemed to loosen up and sort themselves out. I put it down to old age (just turned 40)
I'm sure there must be some stretching preparation I can do, but just can't be bothered. I do lots of mountain biking too, so my legs are strong. But obviously this doesn't help for this problem.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jedster, all very familiar to me! i actually bailed out of the lift queue on the second day of my most recent trip and went to get physio on my calves! a couple of interesting things came out of this:

1. the physio said the problem wasn't just my calf muscles - it was also a lack of flexibility across the front of the ankle. she reckoned this exacerbated the stress on the calves.

2. she gave me a new stretch - you put one foot perpendicular to a wall (just use other foot for balance) then try to touch your knee against the wall without lifting your heel. you move your foot further from the wall to get more of a stretch. don't go so far that it hurts. she reckoned that this would help the whole ankle joint (not sure why but prepared to take her word on it). The good thing for me about this one is that it is measurable - i could never tell whether i was getting more flexible or not with the other stretches i was doing
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

I'm sure there must be some stretching preparation I can do, but just can't be bothered

Got a feeling this could go a long way to explaining why we all struggle with sore calves!

Can never replicate the ski action but could do better with much more prep - why is it so hard to find 30 minutes a day for this for a month before skiing? Anyway, I'm going for it this year - stretches every night until 7th Feb Confused
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
RichA, Could you be dehydrated - you need to drink more water than usual at altitude, & I've found if I get sore legs its usually because I havent drunk enough.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
geri, when I get sore legs it is normally becasue I have drunk too much Very Happy and fallen over Little Angel
ski holidays
CEM's website has some very good and simple strengthening and stretching exercises. I do a lot of Pilates, so am fairly alive to this sort of thing, but I downloaded them nonetheless, they're great. See here.
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
CEM's website has some very good and simple strengthening and stretching exercises. I do a lot of Pilates, so am fairly alive to this sort of thing, but I downloaded them nonetheless, they're great. See here.

Totally agree. CEM sent me the gastrocnemius and soleus stretches last year and this season I am religiously doing them in the morning before I put my boots on (carefully since I'm not warmed up) and they've made a huge difference. In the evening I've been doing them again and adding the quad stretch. Nevertheless, after a fairly hard day (for me) on Wed, I got to about 3pm and felt as if the top of my soleus had totally spasmed, which was very painful and only today does it feel like it's easing Confused
latest report
RichA, before i start i am no pro but i had a similar problem that was resolved by a pro. At the start of the season after the first few days I also could not get down stairs without cursing. As in your case the problem seemed worse if I spent those first few days on hard snow. I am fit, have calves of steel and no problems with ankle flexion. I mentioned this to a guide I was skiing with who told me to stop trying to grip the snow with my toes by concentrating on pulling the toes up. He explained that when you have not been skiing for a while you ‘forget’ to pressurise the ski with your whole foot (sole), putting a lot of pressure on the ball of your foot almost as if your trying to stand on your toes. I took his advice and have not had this problem since. To find my balance I also ski the first half a day or so with all my buckles undone.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy