Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

I need the info. about that magic French Toll Road gizmo please

Poster: A snowHead
On here I've seen info about the gadget that you put in the windscreen of the car and it works the French toll booths automatically, but I can't remember its name to search for it. Can someone please point me in the right direction for the relevant info.

Also, I can't remember how it worked in terms of paying for it - do you register a plastic card that is debited as you drive along or is it pre-pay and you load it somewhere? Also, does one device do for all the roads in France or do you need a different one in different areas - We do Calais, Reim, Metz, skirt Strasbourg, come down through Alsace on the French side and go through Basel.

Any advice greatly appreciated as DH is quite keen on the idea since my telling him about it.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, mine is a liber-t fron Sanef

I registered with my UK credit card and payment gets debited from it. You pay a deposit for the box, 30E I think then about 2E rent each month you use the box.

One box does all of France but I think there is a small discout off the tolls in the area that it's from, Sanef I think covers the Calais and Reim area.

Well worth getting one!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Snowheads should be on a commission, they have done so much publicity that, at least in the Rhone Alpes, there are now queues for the telepeage and I find it quicker to nip through the carte bleu section most of the time.

If you have a RHD car and are alone the telepeage may make some good sense, although 2 euros per month on the months you use it is a bit steep.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Roger C, That's what I wanted - thanks Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum, just check that your car will fit through the automated tolls though. With roofbox on, our People Carrier is too tall which renders this option useless

As we tend to travel through the busy sections v early, I have yet to have to queue more than a few mins - which I can cope with
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum,

Thread here

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=20744&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=telepeage

We got ours through here

http://www.sanef.com/fr/ecommerce/particulier/souscrire.jsp#correspondance

Used for first time in October and was excellent snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof, You haven't got one ? Shocked Always quicker everywhere in 06 and 83 and saves me money Confused
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Boris, Shocked We'll have an Octavia Estate with topbox - I'll have to see if the web site says how high you can go.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Height is 2m.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
codger, Great thanks - we'll have a measure up Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, Our Grand Voyager with top box fittted under every rail last year. I very much doubt your Octavia is taller. If you do find a barrier that is too low you cabn always use the truck lane. Also if the telepeage fails to work (one barrier wouldn't detect), you can just hand it to the cashier and they will scan it for you.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We got one for our Xmas trip and it was excellent. So nice to fly past the queues at the busy peages around Lyon. I particularly enjoyed cruising past the GB stickered SUVs stuck in a queue of about 50 cars for the credit card gates which had been previously tailgating us to let them past on route. It was so fast through the tolls that it probably saved about 1 hour each way, in fact I wanted to change something on the satnav and couldnt do it until we stopped for lunch as we were so quick through the peage that I didnt stop for long enough to adjust it Very Happy

In terms of the height, we have people carrier with roofbox which comes to 2.1 metres with the box on and this goes through fine. They have a solid bar and then some chains hanging down or a wobbly plastic bit which is set to 2m which gets brushed out of the way by the box. There is some more details on what cars people have tried on the other thread.

Cheers,
Peter
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
thefatcontroller, The Sanef web site's all in French - not unexpected, though I kind of hoped they might have an English translation - My French gets me by, but is not brilliant I hope this is not too difficult to work through!!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Agenterre wrote:
davidof, You haven't got one ? Shocked Always quicker everywhere in 06 and 83 and saves me money Confused

nah I can pick up a ticket without stopping and in the 73/74 it is generally quicker to go through the CB exits than the telepeage due to the number of telepeage users nowadays.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have sent them a message apologising for my lack of French and asking if they possibly have instructions for the web site in English Embarassed

I got as far as entering my address and then gave up - how can I accept terms and conditions if I can't understand them? I can get by in French and wasn't doing too bad, I initially thought, with the web-site, but I just can't fathom quite enough!! Embarassed
latest report
Megamum wrote:
Boris, Shocked We'll have an Octavia Estate with topbox - I'll have to see if the web site says how high you can go.
2 m is the reported max height. I've been through just over that with no issues.
There are several lanes that show the 't' sign, that indicates the tag will work. Usuallay there is a dedicated lane on the outside. That is thes restricted height lane. The other 't' lanes are usually not restricted, but they also may have the queues.
ski holidays
Megamum, You may be better phoning them, they will find someone who can speak english. The following is a basic instruction of what to select to get the €30 deposit and €2 pm fee. Hope it helps. There is also a bigger thread that has much more info contained in it. Search for Telepeage

Alternatively try the following site http://www.totalfrance.com/france/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2036&highlight=telepeage

In the thread, are the following instructions, they worked for me:--
To sign up is not difficult. You need a UK credit card if you live in the UK. (You can call in at one of their boutiques on the motorway and change to a French CB later if you want).

Click on Particuliers et Professionels.

On the left click on Souscrire, then click on Souscrire en ligne, click the ad on the right "Offres", you might have to click again on Souscrire en ligne. At sometime you will have to click a button for societe or particulier, the latter is what you click for an individual.

Eventually you will get a choice of three forms of joining. The most commonly used is Formule mensuelle. This is €30 refundable deposit for the transponder and a charge of €2 per month, only for the months in which you use the card. Your charges for motorway use are then billed monthly to your credit card.

Then fill in the details of who you are, address etc., and your transponder will be on it's way.

It's much easier than it sounds and at least online there is no hurry and plenty of time to look up a word in the dictionary or use a online ranslation program.
snow conditions
A QUICK IDEA.......Get a liberty t box if you can rather than a Sanef one because they have more offices nearer the slopes. sanef always seemed to be closed when I drove through!
latest report
BMF_Skier, Thanks so much for fishing out the info for me - saved me time searching - busy mum and all that. I think I have suceeded. Well they've got my card details Shocked
snow report
AxsMan, our X-trail plus roofbox fitted under all barriers on the way there and back. I know we are over 2m, I think 2m 5cm or something.
snowbrainer, Liber-T is the company that does all the badges for all the autoroute companies. You only need an office if there is a problem with your badge, you can do everything else online or by email.
snow report
Quote:

although 2 euros per month on the months you use it is a bit steep

Flippin is, once again I have gone to France one month and returned the next so will have to pay twice! I really need to take holidays in the same month, but thats a bit difficult for Christmas and New Year I guess, so once again I'll get charged twice rolling eyes
and I bet th charges get spread across 3 credit card bills making it more difficult to check Sad

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Sat 5-01-08 23:37; edited 1 time in total
latest report
boredsurfin, Am I missing something here - in my head that's only a quid or two a month for convenience (a whole £4 max. if you go over two months) - isn't this...well....peanuts compared to the price of skiing holiday and getting their quickly and easily
latest report
Megamum, It quickly adds up over the year and as David says there are more credit card lanes and they are just as quick or quicker and free of charge
and don't forget that initial 30€ charge plus 4€ P+P it all adds up...

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sat 5-01-08 23:41; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
Megamum, No you're not missing anything and Yes it's peanuts. (and if it means you don't end up with £5 worth of small change Euros at the end of your trip it doesn't even cost that Very Happy )
ski holidays
boredsurfin, Hey each to their own. And in fact I'd like everyone to use the cash/credit card lanes because that would leave the telepeage lanes free for me Very Happy. Last season I reckon I saved well over an hour on each trip cruising up the empty T lane ahead of the long queues for the others Very Happy
snow conditions
AxsMan, Yep Toofy Grin wink
ski holidays
Megamum, and if you go to www.aprr.fr the gizmo is just 10 euros, postage free and only 1.50 per month. I got mine last month and the stamps added up to 9 euros! And its refundable if you ever get bored with driving through France, etc.
snow report
But why spend eeven that much whn you can use the empty credit card lanes for free Puzzled
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sproggski, Yes my deposit at Liber-T was only 10 Euro and it was only 1 Euro per month of use. It may have changed for this year I don't know, but to be honest, who's bothered?
ski holidays
boredsurfin, Good point. I think everyone should follow your very sound advice. wink Very Happy
latest report
AxsMan, Thanks, I know it makes sense Very Happy
snow report
sproggski, and others - I wish you'd posted this info about 3 hours ago - I've just signed with Sanef. rolling eyes
snow conditions
Megamum, Apologies, but someone else quoted figures for Liber-T so I assumed they must have changed this year. Still it's only a few quid Laughing
snow report
Where are the bad peage queues? Mostly I drive from Geneva to the Tarentaise and the peage tolls I go through there is almost never a queue of more than two or three cars. On the few occasions I've driven from the UK I can't remember being frustrated by the length of any queue at a peage toll.
ski holidays
rob@rar, There's one near Lyons that has taken us up to 40 mins on previous trips. I think they are at their worst at half term, which of course is when we have to go if the kids are coming with us Shocked Telepeage is a godsend. Er I mean, it's quite helpful, but not as good as using the empty credit card lanes Embarassed wink
snow conditions
We've never seen bad queues, but I like anything that means I can sort out the cash back in the UK and I don't like the idea of relying on shoving a credit card into something in case it doesn't work in France. I worry the whole time about my rapidly visually dwindling stock of Euros when I'm paying tolls and whether I'll have enough to get me home. So I'd rather sort something out ahead of time like this that means I don't have to pay cash at the time. Its the same reason I got the skis and boots - I paid up front, but I don't need to spend the cash I take to the resort of the cost of the hire gear for me whilst I stand there.
ski holidays
AxsMan, I agree about the Lyon ones, August was dreadful, even on the ones near St Exupery. I have had problems with my credit card before, bank refused it thought it was fraudulent.
latest report
rob@rar, Really bad queues are the ones on the A8 down Sarf during 'Black' weekends in July and August .... Spanish, Italians and hapless others .... can be 1/2 an hour easily , you only do that once.
ski holidays
Not with-standing the fact that I could have got it cheaper rolling eyes I must have pushed all the right buttons on the Sanef web site because our gizmo turned up this morning all ready to try out in February. Thanks for your help folks snowHead

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Thu 10-01-08 17:30; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Megamum, you'll never look back... actually you probably will, while laughing and pointing at the people behind you still waiting to get through the peage wink
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy