Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Piste names in France

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Now my French is pretty limited to the usual Hello, thankyou, goodbye, large beer please etc... but I have noticed that there seems to be quite a few Piste names that are prevelent throughout quite a few French resorts - i.e Cretes, Marmottes, Col De Balme etc.

Are these just coincidental, or am I missing something with my lack of French speaking ability? What do they translate too?

Stoopid question I know, but I am just curious.

Ta.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Peaks ( Crests) , Little sweet furry animals which live in holes in the Alps , Peaceful hilltop ..... so I assume all have an 'alpine' flavour and are for marketing bizzazz ?

I prefer it to the Swisss 'numbers only' .....
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IMT,

As said above.

Marmottes are common animals leaving in the nountains

Pic, Col, Crete, Mont etc are all names of mountainous terrain features ( as per peak, ridge, hill, mount etc..).
The names often refer top what locals used to call a particula area of the mountain side..
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Marmottes taste like chicken.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Cheers all, had a feeling it was something like that. Like I said, stoopid question, but at least I didn't get stoopid answers. wink Yet!

Wear The Fox Hat, but with more than 2 legs eh!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
IMT, Balme is Savoyarde dialect, not French. It means grotto.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rjs, My fault Embarassed Much more evocative ...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
So the pistes in the Les Arcs domaine translate:

AROLLES; ARPETTE; VIEW-POINT; DRINK WILLOW; HIDING-PLACE; CLEARLY WHITE; CLEARLY WHITE RED; VALVE; CLOCHERET; COMBETTES; COMBORCIERE; TWO HEADS; WHITE ZONE; GOLLET; BARNS; GARDEN MILLERETTE; GARDEN PIERRE BLANC; MALGOVERT; MOUNT BLANC; LILY OF THE VALLEY; ROUND SLICES; SOURCES; VIOLETS; CARRELEY; CHAMETTOGER; CHANTEL; CHARVET; COLLAR OF THE HOOPS; SPACES SURFING; COLD FOUNTAIN; LARGE FOX; LARGE MELEZES; GARDEN LAUZIERES; GARDENS CHARMETOGE; SMALL FOX; RECHES; VAGERE; ARANDELIERES; WATERFALLS; COUNTRY COTTAGES; COLLAR OF CHAL; COMBES; PEAKS TOOTH OF COMB; DOU OF MAN; DROSET; EDELWEISS; ELDORADO; GENEPI; LARGE COLLAR; LAKE OF COMBES; LANCHES; MARSH; MARMOTS; PLANE BEAR; PLAGNETTES; GREEN REFUGE; TEPPES; TUFFES; VALLEY ARC; SWITCHES; RED LILIES; PLANAY; PRE; RHONAZ; SOLLIET; VILLAROGER; EAGLE; BARMONT; WEASEL; BLANCHOT; BUMPS; CABRI; COMBE; COCKS; SQUIRRELS; FLAKE DRILL; THRUSH; MAITAZ; MOREY; BILBERRIES; BEAR; PLANE; PARTRIDGE; BEAR; CUB; DRINK; FOX; RHODOS;

I'm disappointed that Babelfish didn't manage to deal with Malgovert, Charmotteger and Comborciere, but am tickled by Clearly White and Clearly White Red. Little Angel
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Martin Nicholas, Two Heads is a good 'un too, as is Peaks Tooth of Comb! As for Cocks and Thrush, well..........
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy