Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Andorra - Buying equipment

Poster: A snowHead
Does anybody know the prices of equipment in Andorra? I need some new boots and am wondering whether it's worth going to Andorra and buying them there? If they are significantly cheaper I may consider it but I don't want to spend half my holiday shopping to save £10.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I think you should find significant discounts compared to buying in the UK and clearly you can test them too. I bought some Salomon Crossmax V12 skis in Pas de la Casa for the very reason, cost me almost 200 euros less than in France or Snow and Rock. There are a lot of shops in Pas de la Casa and there is a huge supermarket-style shop in El Tarter
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, I have been to Andorra in summer and winter so know my way round the place. I need to go at half term so self drive (won't pay UK tour operator prices on principle). Andorra is a place I like anyway but won't necessaarily go there if I can get adeal on a hotel elsewhere.

I only want a pair of boots. I probably need a contact out there who can put my in contact with a few shops. As I said though, I don't want to spend the first day shopping to save £10.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
MickKnipfler, if you have the chance, it is worth having a look around. I regret not buying some skis when I was there - when I got back and compared prices I reckon I would have saved around 40-45%
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
MickKnipfler, I wouldn't have any qualms about buying discounted gear in Andorra... with the exception of boots, unless you have a really good recommendation of a boot-fitter over there.

As far as I can see, bad boot-fitting is the thing most likely to ruin your holiday due to either pain or inappropriate choice of level or size of boot.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes thanks for the warning Nick, don't worry it's not my first pair.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
MickKnipfler, if you let me know what type of boots you are after I will have a quick look I am of to Soldeu on the 14th Jan and let you know which shop and how much
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
MickKnipfler, sorry if I was teaching my grandmother to suck eggs Embarassed
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
That's great jase. I'll let you have a couple of models just to get rough prices. Where are you going?

Don't worry Nick good advice is still good advice
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
MickKnipfler, I've bought 2 sets of skis and a pair of boots in Soldeu over the years ... (will happily sell you them all ... !)

I think it is a good place to pick up gear but for boots as discussed above you know the story .... I'd rather pay 250 squid for a great job than 175 for an average to pish job. I'm sure there is a really good boot fitter there but in the 4 times I was there I didn't hear who it was. If I were you I would email the ski school in which ever resort you're going to and ask their advice for a bootfitter - obviously some of the instructors make on referrals but at least you might get a lead and it would always be up to you as to whether you bought. the shop I liked best was out of the gondola across the road turn left down the hill about 75m ish ... can't quite remember the name but it would come to me. the big shop at the Gondola had a big range of kit but it always seemed like selling candy to babys to me. Soldeu is a small place and if you get in with a few instructors they'll give you the low down on kit ... many are reps as per other resorts too. ... bla bla bla more wine vicar?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
MickKnipfler, I am going to Soldeu pal snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Adamski, I think you are talking about Pic Negre. Best choice is to be had at the huge shop on the right just about 1km down the hill from El Tarter and opposite La Cavas massive supermarket. But as far as boot fitters go I think you would be hard pressed to find a good one. The shop in the Gondola station once showed me a S & R catalouge and told me that all their prices were 10% less than S & R, he was not happy when I pointed out that it meant that they were making 7 1/2 % MORE than S & R because there is no Vat in Andorra. rolling eyes I buy all my gear in Andorra though. But beware it is not profit free, so bargain hard. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Dypcdiver, thats the one. the boss there is a good guy and he'll do better deals than Calbo.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Adamski, Pic Negre, one of the few places that issue "chupitios" even if you don't buy anything Smile
The Calbo family seems to have lost the plot, which is a shame as I have known them for 30+ years.
Soldeu gained its reputation on giving good value for money (that doesen't mean cheap) but they have become greedy.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Does any one know the name of that shop near el tartar? i think I went in there a few years ago,as i remember it was cheap. We go on the 27th jan and my mate wants some new skiis. On another note..we are driving up from Barcelona,last time we drove through andorra la vella and encamp etc, is it quicker to go up through porte puymorens and pas de la casa? i don't know what the roads are like this way though.Is there anything I need to be aware of this way? huge toll fees, dodgy roads etc . Which is the best way!!??Thanks.
snow report
Jase,

I'll probably be looking at the Salomon Impact 8, Nordica Speen Machine 8 or Technica Flame Ultrafit. If you can find any of those prices, I'd appreciate it
snow report
andyjc, As it is mid week, for Andorra la Vela then all you need worry about is is not arriving at rush hour ie. 13:30 ish and 16:00 and the evening 18:30 to 20:00 outside of these times your OK. The roads have been improved recently with bus lanes and some new one way roads. If you choose to come in from Pas side then you will have to pay for the Envalira tunnel if the road over the top is snowed in. Your choice Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Thanks mate....27th is a sunday though! change over day for andorra, make a difference?
latest report
andyjc, Ooops my "Snow-forecast.com" calendar starts with December so I have been a month adrift since the beginning of this year Embarassed
You should be OK at any time as the traffic will mostly be going the other way ie. the Spaniards returning with their duty free's. The tour Ops use the French airports so they won't cause you a problem, they go out through Pas.
I should be there until the 2nd Feb, pity about the rain yesterday but loads of time before you travel, have fun.
ski holidays
If you want to buy in Andora go to Andorra La Vella !!! (The main town)

Its only 15 - 20 mins down the road from Soldeu in a taxi and the shops (not being in the resort) are REAL value for money !

In the resort, the price is at least TWICE even more !!!!!!!!!

Its only an hour or so "there and back + brousing" But it will save you loads !!!

Well worth the Savings as opposed to time off the slopes Mad
snow report
Yeah, thanks Tim. I have been to Andorra both in summer and winter. I always do my shopping in Andorra La Vella. There is also a bus...
ski holidays
Try in resort - buy in Andorra La Vella! I got my Board, boots and Bindings for £280 all in- MUCHOS cheaper than in UK or France.
snow report
Has anybody got any contacts so I can chck the prices?
snow report
MickKnipfler, i will have a look and let you know snowHead
latest report
Thanks
snow conditions
I recommend the shop by El Tarter too - you can't really miss it, on the right hand side as you're leaving El Tarter heading towards Canillo. I bought my boots there two years ago and my husband bought himself some new ones last year - I've also bought a new ski suit (ripped mine on the slopes), new gloves (the ones I bought in the UK were crap) and a new hat. Boots are comfortable and sooo much choice.
snow report
Yes, I'll check that one out. It's opposite the place that sells booze, fags, trinkets etc & the perfume place right?

The only thing is I went past it in the summer and it didn't look like it was still open. It was full of Paella dishes etc. Maybe just a summer thing
ski holidays
MickKnipfler, Yep that is its summer role, by late Nov it was restocked with ski gear. They must have a contact with someone who gets them last years gear which they display alongside this seasons stuff, some real bargains can be found if your not a fashion slave.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
OK, I'll check it out. Thanks
snow conditions
we bought ski's and boots in andorra and they were definatly cheap. If you know what you are doing with regards fitting of boots then i don't see a problem but both me and hubby ended up buying new ones from snow and rock in the end as the ones we bought out there weren't fitted properly, but that was our fault for not knowing enough in the first place.
ski holidays
Andorra is amazingly cheap for gear especially after Feb when the main season is over ............ I've bought goggles, boots, ski's / poles over the years and would recomend waiting - you'll save more than £10.00 ............... all my purchases were made in Arinsal.
ski holidays
Are you back yet Jase?
snow conditions
Sorry, just joined in order to bounce this thread Embarassed

I'm currently in El Tarter and wanted some cheap gear. Yesterday we drove to Encamp where there are 4-5 shops along the main drag. Not impressed with any TBH. I assumed Encamp, being closer to Andorra la Vella, would be cheaper.

We were unimpressed with ALV when we popped in for an afternoon last year, and without a specific recommendation, didn't want to waste time looking.

Google brought up this thread, so I popped into the recommended shop in El Tarter.

And came out with two large bags and €500 less in my bank account Shocked Google suggests I've got some bargains.

If I am allowed, I'll post up 3-4 examples of prices? I don't know the advertising rules here, so trying to be polite
Blush

But I thought I should return the favour of info. Thanks all.
latest report
I'm going to be staying in Andorra la Vella in late January and want to buy a pair of skis. I'd be willing to travel to any of the villages to a good store and of course want a good price but I want to get Alpine Touring (AT) bindings (preferable not tech) with skis that are 60% freeride and need a store that will give expert advice. Any suggestions for a store which is not just cheap but expert? All of the posts except for the one above are now 7 years old!
snow report
@chaketz, Same advice still stands, they have all sorts of touring bindings, large number of skis available, some are last seasons and sometimes they don't have the full range of lengths, however well worth a visit.

If anyone is interested in a boot fitter in Andorra I can now recommend the guy in Cubil Sport. Located 2km down hill from El Tarter and on the right, it is quite small but has it's own car park alongside. He fitted my touring boots and whilst doing it about a dozen of the mountain staff came in to pick up/drop off boots to him.
snow conditions
chaketz, welcome to sH! (And belated welcome to Orange200; I missed your post last spring! If you're still around and still have that pricing info, I'm sure it'd be a useful addition to the thread.)

You should try Esports Les Planes which is just outside of Ordino on the left-hand side of the road when driving towards Arcalís - that place really is the business. Small, but knowledgeable, and oriented towards freeriding and I guess touring. I think there's also another shop in Ordino itself, on the unavoidable double roundabout thingy where you'd turn left to go to Arcalís.

And apart from the Cubil Sport guy that Dypcdiver mentioned, the Italian ex-racer guy in Sant Julià de Lòria, who's on the back street behind Hotel Co-Princeps, is good - but I don't know if he speaks English (and his Spanish is peppered with Italian!). I mentioned him in another thread specifically about bootfitting, but it's worth adding it here too.
latest report
Sorry @Pyremaniac, I deleted the pics, but will be back there in at half term and will take a few more. Youngest has grown out of her jacket so we'll use that place to pick up another.
snow report
Google street view confirms the place is called Comerc Espunyes. They seem to get a lot of recommendations on Spanish forums too.
ski holidays
The locals I've talked to have also pointed me to Espunyes, if you know what you want/need.

Thanks for boot fitter recommendation, Dypcdiver, Cubil Esport is definitely the guy to go to in Andorra. Says he's looked at moving closer to the village but the rents are exorbitant and he owns the building he's in now. Prices are reasonable. Only seems to speak a bit of english though, so it helps if you know french or spanish. The nearest bus stop is Creu de L'Aldosa.
latest report
Was in Espunyes today. Got new goggles, gave him a price and a lens style, and he handed me Julbo with snow tiger photochromic lens, I think the frame is Revolution (not sure!), for €118. Black strap with silicon, orange writing, side hinges, and a chrome badge at one side, if anyone is a Julbo expert?

Took two photos of ski price labels.
1. Rossi pursuit 16 ti, 2014-5. €399
2. Fischer superior pro, 2014-5. €398

I was running, so don't know what lengths or whether they included bindings. Took those as the discount seemed bigger, others were 'only' cut by 15%, but no idea if they were already low to start with Smile

Hope this helps someone Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy