Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

pocket rockets

Poster: A snowHead
I am a convert to PRs thanks to U brain - I even used them more than my blades courtesy of the Salomon demo guys at La Plagne.

Next trip is the States - Jackson Hole - anyone know if you can rent PRs there.

Question oh I do love the emoticons Smile
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
U are very welcome John - if only I were on commision from Salomon! Cool

If I was U Wink , I'd check out the 'Salomon in the States' thing carefully via the net b4 U go. I know the exchange rate seems good but that also makes foreign goods more expensive for the US to buy in. If U were hoping to pick up K2's for example you'd most likely be up for a bargain. But, from what I've seen (not an exhaustive survey by any means) Salomon seems v.expensive in the States.

Of course, the more expensive the kit, the less hire shops will stock it. (I think)
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Was in Jackson 10 days ago (just for the weekend).
I bought a pair of next season's Seth Pistols in Snowbird.

http://www.theskishop.co.uk/Ski/Ski%20images/pistols.JPG

- there was just too much powder for anything narrower. Certainly in Utah there is no problem getting PRs for rent, but I'm not sure about Wyoming.
If you get the chance, go to epicski.com, and contact a guy on there called Bob Peters. He is an excellent skier who lives and works in Jackson. If he has the time, he'll show you the mountains, including the back country.

And here's some photos:
http://www.theskishop.co.uk/ski/resorts/epic04.html
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How did you get that photo there?!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
You've two options:
1. Use Quick Reply, then edit your post, tghis will take you into the full reply editor, and allow you to use UBB codes, such as image insertion
or
2. Scroll down to the bottom of the page, and you'll see a button called Post Reply. This will also take you into the full editor.

Never mind how I did it, how cool are the grahics on the skis? "Never mind the Rockets - it's the Seth Pistols" (or something like that, I was only a kid in the 70s when punk was around)
Mr. Green
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Great to see those colours on an American made ski! Surely they've got USA writ large on them somewhere?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:

I was only a kid in the 70s when punk was around

It never went away Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
markP, no, they've got tartan, they've got the Union Jack, but no "USA" that I can see.

marc, maybe not in Yorkshire, but the rest of the universe has moved on since then. snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shocked Shock
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Good to see you will be flying the flag when you fall over Fox - reminded me of a boxer that went into a fight as the definite underdog. He had sold advertising space on the sole of his boots Laughing
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Back on topic slightly, what length do you recommend? currently ski a 170 carving ski, should I go up to 175 ro down to 165? Just that I've seena rather good deal on the 165...
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
where were you planing to ski them?
If it is purely as a powder ski, then go longer. If you are going to be on piste with them, or plan to try them in the terrain park, then go shorter.

What is your height/weight/ability?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
5'9", 11st 7lb, 5 to 6 on the snow and rock scale - classic intermediate. Would be primarily for the fortnight in Fernie where it would be 50/50 piste / powder, I'd hope - if I don;t get on with them after that, I'll sell them (assuming I haven't missed the deal).

Based on that, buying them seems a good plan - 240 for one-week old skis and bindings off ebay.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
165s would be fine for you.
If you are using them as your only ski, then definitely go 165. The 175 will tire you out on piste. (trust me on that!)

£240 is OK for them, but you may want to check out REI.com, gartsports.com, or some of the canadian sites (and maybe even try telemark-pyrenees.com in europe), becuase given the current exchange rates, you may be able to pick up a new pair for not much more than that.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
am waiting on my local ski shop to get back to me as they may be able to get a pair from salomon - that had 1 pair of 165s on the clearance list
plenty of scream 8s in various sizes and 151 1080s, too, if you;re interested
latest report
My thoughts exactly - am waiting on my local ski shop to get back to me as they may be able to get a pair from salomon - that had 1 pair of 165s on the clearance list, plenty of scream 8s in various sizes and 151 1080s, too, if you're interested
snow conditions
Update; bought the 165's off ebay. They shold be with me on Monday. I'll take them to the shoip to get the bindings set then I'm off to Fernie next saturday for a week of playing in the snw Very Happy
snow conditions
have fun with them.
What bindings are you going for/have you gone for?

Here's a little insight - both Rossignol and Look do bindings which are a bit different to the normal Salomon/Marker type.
If you're getting powder skis, and plan to ski powder, I'd reccomend the Rossi/Look bindings (they are the same, just different label).
Anyway, what makes them special, and what makes them great in powder is that the heel binding is big. Very big. Big to the point that if you come out of the ski in powder, you can pull the binding back onto your foot by pulling the binding, even if the pow is so light that you can't make enough downward pressure on the ski to click in.
ski holidays
They just arrived - that have s912ti bindings fitted. Oooh, talk about excited. They're just soo fat!
latest report
I've not tried pocket rockets, but wondered whether these these are close.....
latest report
Do they come with bindings? (if you'll pardon the pun)
snow report
You're a very naughty boy Mr Hunter!
snow report
skanky, I don't know, but could the first one be any use in slushy conditions?

And the 4th one has some intelligence system allowing for 3 separate speeds.

Hard and fast I can understand, but not sure about the others.....
latest report
Just get the waxing right for the environment you'll be using them in.
snow report
So a bit of fartage is quite acceptable then?
latest report
I was thinking more about hilly, tree-line skiing, or bare, flat glaciers.
snow report
Ahhh, no wonder one needs 3 settings. I suppose a nice slow rythmic motion as one moves down the valley and into the tree-line area is essential to avoid a sudden spill...
latest report
This could end up as a discussion about wearing helmets again.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Well I imagine that all depends on whether or not one is cavalier about the whole thing
latest report
Or a roundhead.
snow conditions
Mark Hunter, I leave you alone for just and hour or two, and look what happens

And so unfair on us workers who miss out on all the fun when a thread goes romping off.

I knew the girlies were always going on about Pocket Rockets - I thought they were talking about skis, but maybe not! I had never heard of the term being used for a sex toy : it seems I am just out-of-touch.
You might have thought the Snigger-factor would prevent the term being used elsewhere. But no: a Google search shows Pocket Rocket is used for a wide varaiety of items: electric motobike , bicycle , a sporty subaru , and there is even an artist called Pocket Rocket (rather distubing work I think). And someone has managed to get the T-shirt .
Somehow the Salomon skis will never be the same again.....
snow conditions
That artist obviously has some issues Jonpim, that really is disturbing. Almost as disturbing as all the guys bragging about pocket rockets and
the varois sizes they're recommending. I can only assume (and hope, quite frankly) that they're using metric, although for the life of me I can't see what difference there is between 160mm and 175mm Shocked
snow report
Mark Hunter, the difference is shown here Wink
ski holidays
Come on Jonpim, surely that's yet another vice! As if the poor people in here haven't enough to worry about. That said, here's another form of "dick" vice Wink
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy