Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Learn to Board in a day" - Experiences

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys I've decided to take the plunge and move over to the dark side or is that enlightened and take up boarding after many years to 2 planks Very Happy
For xmas my wife has given me a days "learn to board" session at a snowdome in preperation for our week in Alp D'Huez at Easter. Any hints tips or otherwise on these days, things I should look out for. Tamworth is probably the closest but as I have to travel anyway are there better snowdomes offering these type of lessons. I'm assuming mid-week is probably quiet so the best time to choose. Thanks in advance. BS
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
bladeski, no first hand experience, nor comparative info, but I've heard good reports from everyone I've spoken to who's done this at MK.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Mrs Hoppo got me a 2 hour taster session for my birthday a few years ago; the most important advice I can give you is "GET SOME PADDING FOR YOUR AR$E"!!! Seriously, I was told this before hand and thought I'd act on it if I took to snowboarding - within about 15minutes of starting I'd made a rather heavy landing on my coccyx which twinged for weeks afterwards. On similar lines you might also look into getting gloves with wrist support in them.

Despite this, I did enjoy my snowboard taster session, the highlight of the session was towards the end when I managed to link a couple of turns - mainly to avoid my fellow classmates - who had fallen over. We didn't take to snowboarding, probably because we can just about get around a mountain on skis now and the thought of going back to square one was a bit daunting - the other factor was that even when you do it right, there's an awful lot of falling on your ar$e and then getting back up again.

I think we did our session at Castleford...
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
bladeski, Docsquid did one at Tamworth - PM her if she doesn't spot this.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bladeski, I did one. Very hard work (but I am very old, which doesn't help) and I ached for days afterwards, but well worth it, and I enjoyed it enough to keep going. We spend lots of time in the snow because we have an apartment - I'm not sure I'd have bothered if I only had a week a year. Not because of worrying about being "a beginner" again - I enjoyed that - all skiers, but especially those who tend to find themselves skiing with beginners or less competent skiers, should do a couple of days on a board to remember the terrors that an easy slope, or a chairlift, can hold! But because it is physically quite demanding till you stop falling over constantly. It was really enjoyable on the nursery slope, with other boarders (mostly at least 40 years younger than me), all falling over and exchanging rueful grins. I also found more experienced boarders helpful and encouraging - e.g. when I asked about the best way to do draglifts. The lift attendants were excellent too, and generally it was a fun experience. I thought I'd arrived when a little girl beginner, on the lift behind me, was told by the lift attendant to watch how I did it!!. I'm still pretty useless, though.

Yes, get padding for your back bottom, but more important is to learn to fall properly - once your coccyx is in serious pain you stop plopping down in seated position with arms behind you (also likely to break your wrist) and fling yourself over onto your hips/shoulders with arms across the chest. Anything to avoid more pain. The Dainese armoured knickers are fine, but you will still bash your coccyx if you "sit down" instead of doing it properly. Wear a helmet. You will fall a lot, and though most falls are minor - toppling off the front edge frontwards, or the back edge backwards, when you catch an edge and get catapulted forwards or back you don't half hit the ground hard.

It remains harder work than skiing, or at least I think so, and my son, who is pretty expert at both, says so too. It is also very difficult, even for a good boarder, to have a good time on hardpack snow and ice. If you can ski already, it probably makes sense to continue with both, rather than switch. I only go out with my board for half a day at a time, when the snow is nice and soft (they're great in spring snow) and only on easier slopes. When it finally comes together and you can link turns down a nice slope, it's very satisfying. Maybe this season I might make more progress.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My Boyfriend was a complete snow virgin so went on a learn to board day at Milton keynes before our trip to Andorra and it was definately well worth it. Agreed with the back bottom padding stuff, also take wrist guards and knee pads- theyre not expensive and pretty vital, your knees will thank you.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As above, you'll appreciate the butt protection. For knee pads have a look in DIY stores as some have an uncanny resemblance to my Dainese. Might be worth checking if they lend these out first though.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
saxabar, would you seriously want to borrow some sweaty knee pads? ewwww, but maybe thats the germ freak girl in me coming out. But if you're booked for a week in Alpe D'Huez you'll need them anyway- so may as well get them soon. Mine were like 18euro I think?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
saxabar, you can get bike or skateboard knee and elbow protection, cheaper than snowboard stuff. But some of the wrist protectors are awful. Try them on, but you might find they won't go under fairly close fitting gloves - so try them on with your gloves, or buy both together.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
thanks guys bought some wrist and knee pads and will be getting some padded pants before going. Everyone I know agrees with the padded shorts. Toofy Grin Can't wait to get on the snow now fake or real its been a long time coming.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bladeski, have fun and try to fall up the hill if possible Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bladeski, when I was learning I fell on my backside ALOT, now it tends to be face first, im not sure which I prefer Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My Mrs got me a couple of 2 hour sessions at Tamworth and they were very good and I took to boarding pretty quick after that.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
does anyone know if a particular day is normally quieter than others @ Tamworth. I'm going to avoid Friday and weekends but they don't run toddler club on a Tuesdays etc.
Thanks for all the info so far really am quite excited and realising how much I've missed the snow bug over the last 2 years. Kids who'd have the little darlings. Toofy Grin
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy