Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How much is enough to live the dream?

Poster: A snowHead
First day back at work and miserable as sin...
Sad Sad Sad

So - how much would it take to live the dream of running a business in the mountains? Does anybody else get stuck in this line of thought? Some of you good folk seem to be doing it somehow.....

I'm thinking of "stake money" that would provide sufficient equity to allow bank borrowing to create / buy a viable
business.

Don't care what kind of business (though some would be more attractive than others I'm sure)

Are the Alps out of the question? - Is the cost of real estate so silly that you can't actually make any sort of sensible return?

Do local restrictions effectively prevent Brits from setting up or buying in?

Any thoughts would be more than welcome as I consider how much I could raise by selling the house / wife / daughters etc.

snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Would need to see pics of wife & daughters before I could accurately respond wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
..and is there a "Try before you Buy" promotion? Wink
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kewhoward,

You are likely to have more time and money to go skiing if you set up a sucessful business in the UK. Good business is normally kept by the locals, some foreigners survive but the "get rich and ski all day while living in the alps" is something a lot have wished for but nobody I know or heard about has ever achieved.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
DB, I know someone who's done that. Agreed it's not easy to pull off though.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kewhoward, the big issue for most alpine businesses is seasonality. You're pretty much dependent on 25-30% of the year to make your money. If it's a poor winter you can very quickly become unstuck and I reckon those who see the existance as a dream often fail.

Perhaps a short wife / daughters video on youtube would entertain us anyway.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
spyderjon wrote:
Would need to see pics of wife & daughters before I could accurately respond wink

Spyderjon - maybe you'd be better off sticking to the "hand tuning" wink

Meanwhile - I'm not setting my target at getting rich and skiing all day - there is a spectrum here and I'm looking for something between getting rich and skiing all day at one extreme and and working for less than nothing with no time to ski at the other. snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Why would you consider turning a hobby into a job "living the dream"?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kewhoward,
How many of us wage slaves are thinking the same, today of all days!

My plan is long term, early retirement in about 15 years when kids have (hopefully) left home, eke out retirement in the alps for the winter with a small business that wont make me rich but will subsidise retirement income...thats the long term plan anyway.

Any snowheads semi retired out to the alps?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Besides the obvious ones of being a multi-millionaire or a ski instructor, by far the best option is to have a wellpaid dayjob in a major city near a big mountain range.

Then one can ski almost every weekend for 4 - 6 months.

Even yearround if it is near a skiable glacier, such as Hintertux.

Top places include Zurich, Geneva, Munich, Lyon, Nice, Milan, Vienna, Venice, Tokyo, Vancouver, Denver and Boston.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
laundryman wrote:
DB, I know someone who's done that. Agreed it's not easy to pull off though.

Was it in the ski industry and / or could he/she speak the local language?

If anybody is thinking of moving to the Alps long term then it's never too early to start learning the local lingo - this may open up more job opportunities in the short to medium term too.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Martski - that's certainly one of the lines of thought - but how big would the pension pot need to be? What about the owner occupier chalet businesses - don't market forces mean that there is a relationship between rental income, property value and staff costs that makes sense - with financing provided by a comination of investment and borrowing - I'm not asking anyone to share their tax returns but I'll bet lots of snowheads would be interested in what it might look like...Or maybe it doesn't make sense and you've just got to subsidise it from somewhere else?

Certainly the seasonal nature is critical as Bode Swiller says - but a return to the UK to earn in the other 8 months is a possibility.

I'd just be interested in people's views and experiences

Little Angel
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yep, Vancouver has got to be top of that list whitegold, as you can ski every night should you want to at the local mountains.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dont forget to factor in the 'grass is always greener'.. or 'snow is always whiter'.. ratio.. jan2 is a great day to be thinking about a season in the mountains or even a life.. but its not all fun , there are loads of things you would miss in blighty and once you go getting back in the same standard of lifestyle is hard... try taking three weeks off and going, see if you still like it by day 19
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
norris, even Zurich has some night skiing within reach (conditions dependent) but if you can go to the mountains any weekend over 5 months + a days off or afternoon/morning on flexitime when the conditions are good why bother. Add to that what is considered to be some of the best quality of life around (admittedly Vancouver is often number 1).
ski holidays
I think Whitegold is probably right. You would probably have a higher income, and as much time on the slopes, as you would in an Alpine business. In an EU country there are no restrictions against Brits, as far as I know (I hope you have always strongly supported the EU, otherwise your question is hypocritical!!) though there are non-formal restrictive practices, not just against Brits. In some parts of France, Frenchmen from other regions have a bit of a hard time setting up a business and some smaller Alpine resorts are dominated by a few families.

It can be done, obviously, but it's hard if you have a living to earn. Learning the language would certainly be a very good start. If the idea of that bores you, you are probably not cut out for it!

I don't agree with CANV CANVINGTON that the novelty would soon wear off. We are about to start our 6th season, and are as excited as ever. But - the big but - I am retired, so don't have to earn a living any more. We finance our apartment, essentially, with the rent from having taken in a lodger. Once there, living costs no more than here.

Why not take six months leave without pay, rent out your house and give it a go?
snow report
pam w wrote:

I don't agree with CANV CANVINGTON that the novelty would soon wear off. We are about to start our 6th season, and are as excited as ever. But - the big but - I am retired, so don't have to earn a living any more. We finance our apartment, essentially, with the rent from having taken in a lodger. Once there, living costs no more than here.

Is your lodger in the French apartment or in the UK?
snow conditions
Cool thread. This is something that i've done a lot of work on as after years doings seasons my wife and I ARE going to set up business in the French Alps within the next 4 years. We were all set to do this 3 years ago but kids came along and we delayed it. We have both worked in the Industry for many years and also the property industry.

kewhoward, to answer your question I think the minimum you would need to setup is £250,000 in your hand available. That being the absolute minimum on my business model. That is based on buying a property to sleep 12 max and have a seperate annex for us to live (2 adults plus 2 kids).

I'd be relying on very good occupancy to make it work on that level of equity. £400,000 and its much easier. £500,000 and the pressure would be much less and the summer would not have to be a major source of income.

Biggest problem I found in securing the ok from RBS for the business loan is that you will be giving up work to do this and therefore the business plan has to be very solid and to get the mortgage you dont have a job as such other than your new business that hasn't made any money yet ! We are looking at buying the Chalet within the next year and then renting it out until we are in a position to move out properly and use both our current incomes to ensure the mortgage is paid !

Alex
ski holidays
Quote:
Why not take six months leave without pay, rent out your house and give it a go?

This was going to be our Plan A for next season to see how we liked it and consider our options from there. But fate has subsequently intervened and Plan A has mutated into Plan B whereby this early in the planning stage both my husband and I are aiming to continue our 'day jobs' working mainly remotely with the odd jaunt back to the UK and putting our son into a resort school for the winter

I appreciate we're very fortunate in being able to work it this way and to be honest it never occurred to us as a possibility as my husband spends most days ploughing up and down the River Thames acquiring data for shipping until he approached his boss about the possibility of a sabbatical and they got their heads together to come up with what is a better solution for all - though it does (obviously!) mean he'll be effectively changing his job for the period. Don't suppose there's any way you could do something similar????
snow conditions
Thanks Alex - particularly for being the first to put a number on it - though not sure if you want to indicate the loan size this would support? I'm guessing its £500k to £750k of borrowing to add to your own £250k?

Good luck with your plans and with RBS...
ski holidays
kewhoward wrote:
Thanks Alex - particularly for being the first to put a number on it - though not sure if you want to indicate the loan size this would support? I'm guessing its £500k to £750k of borrowing to add to your own £250k?

Good luck with your plans and with RBS...

kewhoward, No worries at all. yeah thats about right depending on the cost of the chalet. The lowest with a £250,000 match to my £250,000. But realistically about £500,000 extra. So a total investment of £750,000.

So much depends on which market you go after in terms of quality. From running many many different models the numbers seemed to work aiming for the higher end of the spectrum as naturally the income is so much greater, but the outlay doesn't have to be huge amounts more. We are lucky in that we both work in the Corpoate and leisure travel industry and have run chalets before and ski instructed etc. The bank were very willing.

Right....must win a few more accounts to pay for this project !!

Alex
snow report
Alex A, what about your children? How has that worked out? Thanks for sharing the figures.
As with most things it has to be a balance between what you borrow and have to payback and what you earn. I would imagine it's very hard at the start, but probably gets easier year on year. I too would be interested to hear the nuts and bolts of others who have done this.
snow report
Quote:

there are loads of things you would miss in blighty

I've got as far as 1. Playing hockey 2. Music and Firework concerts - you know the Last night of proms type

That's about it

Certainly right that 2nd Jan is the day to be dreaming of leaving the UK
ski holidays
DB

(1) yes - in the ski industry

(2) no - language not a strong point.
ski holidays
johnnyh, re the Kids ! Thats the tricky bit. We need to wait till they are both at the right age that we can have them in the local school etc. To be honest if there is one thing that will get in the way or persuade us to stay it may be the whole kids and having family so close thing. The amount of times we pool on my in laws is massive. Plus my parents would miss them so much.. The latst plan is definatley we would need to employ a chef and a part time chalet girl. I think with the kids you cant do it all yourself. This instantly makes it harder to make a profit ! But its a lifestyle move, with the added benefit that if it works well you can actually make a tidy profit and save an awful lot of money as you live off the business (maybe not tax legal !?)

Alex
snow report
become an IT contractor in the UK, get 6-9 months a work a year then enjoy the rest of the time off in the alps.
snow report
martski, I retired to the Alps 5 years ago but have felt guilty about not working. I've always enjoyed the buzz of business/making money but in the early years here, any business ideas were promptly kicked into touch by the grief (red tape mainly) and frustration of the French system. I now act as a selling agent to all the Estate Agents in the valley and have a French business partner, who for the rewards, is happy to take that grief. As we chiefly deal with buyers from the UK, my profit from the business is taxable in England.
From my experience, to answer kewhoward, you could start a business in the Alps for very little money but you need good contacts and come up with an niche idea that has yet to be mined.
ski holidays
nessy, In my opinion Vancouver way better - having the sea on your door step is fantastic.

swimming/sea kayaking in the summer
best mtn biking in the world on the northshore
incredible varied dining

the list goes on and on.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Top places include Zurich, Geneva, Munich, Lyon, Nice, Milan, Vienna, Venice, Tokyo, Vancouver, Denver and Boston.

Salt Lake City!

Don't forget Calgary.

Not for sissies who complain about the cold, though.
latest report
Lausanne gotta be up there i reckon. lots of jobs there and nice position on lake geneva
snow report
norris, but by Canadian standards wouldn't the Ligurian coast be on your doorstep Smile
snow report
not sure i get you nessy, Puzzled I presume you mean my current location!
snow report
I have taken a slightly different approach and I admit I was very fortunate in that my employer was already a global company and I was already working from home so it was relatively straight forward to move here. However there is currently quite a shortage of skilled workers in Alberta and so there is certainly a route for people to come out here and be employed in "regular" jobs and then have the weekends to ski. The immigration process is quite straightforward but there are considerable waiting lists especially if you do not have confirmed employment waiting. Of course the big advantage for us is a common (well almost wink ) language and certainly that has made the transition for the kids schooling a lot easier.

Realistically there are not any opportunities in this immediate area for operating chalets or simmilar short term holiday lets because of local byelaws and building restrictions. I believe this may be more feasible for example in Big White or some other resorts but I don't know anything much about this.

And yes it does get cold here, but I find it easier to wear more layers than to try to generate enough snow to go skiing in mid November in a warmer climate snowHead
latest report
kewhoward, don't do it Howard - keep climbing the greasy corporate pole(s) and take loads of weekend trips a year like me - Weekend Warriors rule!
snow conditions
Do the Canadians get the same sort of holiday as the Americans? (ca 10 to 14 days a year)
ski holidays
DB, holiday entitlements are generally lower, I have gone from 5 weeks plus 8 public holidays to 3 weeks plus 12 public holidays so lost 6 days. However I now get to the mountains every weekend! My wife just started a job with the local ski resort and gets 4 weeks holiday, but that is unusual without prolonged service.
snow report
DB, I hate you Toofy Grin wink Laughing
ski holidays
Quote:

Is your lodger in the French apartment or in the UK?

Julieanne, our lodger is in the UK. When my daughter went off to uni we converted her ground floor room, which had its own entrance onto the quay at the back of our development, into a bed sit/studio. Our lodger pays £350 a month, makes a great contribution to security as she has several different jobs and comes and goes at different times, and looks after the cat when we're away. It's a sustainable income. The original idea was to rent out the rest of the house and have the studio for ourselves, as a pied a terre, and use the rental income to supplement pension etc. for travelling. For a variety of reasons, not least the unplanned purchase of the Alpine apartment, the plan changed.

Boris, I can't think why you should miss music and fireworks concerts - the French are rather good at both and they invented "son et lumiere"! In Lyons you can even go to fantastic concerts in a Roman amphitheatre. However, if you were running a chalet, you wouldn't have any time to attend concerts in the winter. It's a 24/7 life for four months of the year.

I may be wrong, but I get the impression that there is something of an over-supply of catered chalets at the moment; there seem to be any number of special deals available for all but the few peak weeks of the season. Even small, family run, restaurants in our neck of the French alps seem often to have one member of the family doing a job for wages elsewhere - mostly down in the big factory in Ugine.
snow report
pam w, thanks for clarifying that. (I did wonder how you could fit a lodger into a French apartment-- as they are usually quite small!)

I am also thinking of creating a studio in my flat, renting it to someone I trust to look after the place and cats--and thus be able to spend a whole season in the Alps. It has been my dream for years! Little Angel
snow report
norris, no I meant my doorstep Embarassed At one time I would have loved Lausanne but never could get a job there (in software development)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy