Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Racing in UK

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Okay, asides from dry-slope racing, I can't find any racing in the UK. I mean of course, indoor slope skiing, not Scottish (although it would be interesting to know if they do hold races up there).

Does anyone know of any indoor (i.e. snow) races in the UK? I've spotted the the British University Snowsports Council run university races indoors - anyone else?

I've e-mailed the indoor slope companies to find out.

Would any snowHeads be interested in a couple of recreational race meets?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skisimon, Lions Ski club run a race series in the Xscape Snowdomes. Look here.. http://www.lions-skiclub.co.uk/.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
skisimon, in addition there are a couple of indoor races on the race calendar for summer 2008 on http://britski.org
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
A list of races from Snowsport Scotland is available at http://www.snsc.demon.co.uk/calendar/alpine_calendar.htm
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
^ good to see a few held on 'real' snow in Scotland.

I remember a time when there was talk of getting international slalom races on Cairngorm, that'd be back in the 80s sometime, dunno if it was pie in the sky though.

They do a kids race at Tamworth every year, my daughter did the last one but can't fro the life of me remember when it was...
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank you all. I'm looking into all the options. Might try and head up to Scotland at some point, I've been looking for an excuse for a while now wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We do race training for our work ski team most Tuesdays at our local Xscape (Glasgow). It's the night they have the slalom poles out so we have to fight our way down amongst the other "racers".

I have to say though, our definition of "race training" is very much at its loosest! We have two decent-ish skiers (one an instructor), me and another guy I would classify as intermediates and another early intermediate.

It might be worth checking out your local Xscape...
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
roga, the 1998 Europa Cup was the last attempt to hold major FIS races in Scotland and unfortunately it probably put a serious dent in the hopes for doing so in the future unless there is significant investment in snowmaking.

1998 is right up there in the Scottish Hall of Shame, and if not for the amazing turn of events post easter in late April it would have gone down as the worst season on record in snow terms and skier days terms for CairnGorm Mountain.

The 1998 Europa Cup was a total debacle, the events were to be split between CairnGorm and Nevis Range, with the reasoning being that if the East didn't have the snow, the West would. The event was scheduled for the first half of March, can't remember the exact dates.

Obviously the FIS was watching snow conditions closely, and it was becoming increasingly concerned. The English Half Term holidays arrived, and on Feb 14th it was too windy for the chairlift, so myself and a couple of CML staff walked from the Daylodge to the Ptarmigan in T-shirts via the Home Road, Zig Zags, Cas and Traverse without touching snow to open the Ptarmigan Restaurant for walkers. On our return we were able to sadly report to those gathering in the Daylodge Bar at the start of half term that the Ptarmigan Bowl had broken up. It's the only time I can remember there not being skiable snow in the second half of Feb, I think it might have been the only time since the 60s.

Concerned that Nevis and CairnGorm had both closed for Snowsports, the FIS sent a delegation over to inspect the ski areas. The decision to go ahead or cancel was left with CML and Snowsport Scotland, the verdict was to go ahead. The FIS panicked and didn't believe that conditions could change around in 3 weeks and cancelled the event, moving it to a back up resort in Italy.

Fast forward 3 weeks, and the back up resort in Italy had insufficient snow to host the full event...... Shocked

CairnGorm Mountain had full cover and unbroken bluebird weather on the days the event had been scheduled for! rolling eyes
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
PS the saddest thing about the above is that not only had the event gone ahead with the superb conditions that occurred over the period the event was scheduled for would have seen blue sky full cover shots of Scotland broadcast all around Europe, but that the top tier FIS world cup slalom, GS and possibly Super-G would have followed. Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Winterhighland, not really on topic, but I heard on the radio over Xmas a rep of the Cairngorm lift co (I think) saying pretty much that skiing at Aviemore (and Scotland in general) was a dead duck for the future apart from for people based locally. Her view was that no-one from any distance away would commit themselves to skiing in Scotland if they had any sense. So far as she was concerned, the lift co's future lies with non skiing activities.

I see her point and she may well be right, but I was surprised and a bit sorry to hear such a frank point of view. Any comment?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
You have to wonder if CML is either purposefully doing down snowsports for it's own ends or it simply hasn't got what it takes or the will to operate a ski area. Five weeks after the ski area opened, and six weeks after the Ciste Fairway was complete, CML were doing summer maintenance (I kid you not) on the West Wall Poma yesterday, a lift which could have been serving that run all through Dec!! Shocked
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Bit of a ridiculous comment given that this weekend all 5 centres in Scotland will be open with almost (CML excepted) maximum uplift available. CML for whatever reason seem to be downgrading their investment in snowsports, yet last weekend the Lecht and Glenshee had 5000 skiers/boarders between them. Yes, you can't ever be sure of good snow in Scotland, but if you're getting an abundance of snow like it is just now this early in January when usually Feb/March are the best times, then it has all the hallmarks of a great season. Comments like that really just some up CML - in comparison, they managed a paltry 400 skiers despite having enough snow to open more uplift, they don't consider it a high enough priority. I hope it changes, there's certainly enough feedback to illustrate the need for maintaining snowsports there. On the positive, it looks like they'll be opening the West Wall Poma this weekend which will offer up a lot of indermediate/advanced terrain.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy