Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

lessons in la plagne

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
going out to Plagne 1800 on 5th jan with my 2 daughters 12 and 14. (wifey giving it a miss this year)
i did 4 weeks skiing as a teen in scotland, didnt ski for 26 years and then went to la plagne with the family 3 years ago and also to peyragudes (fantastic place) in the pyrenees a couple of times. the children both have their ESF 3 star awards and are confident on pyreenean reds and some blacks. i'm fast and reckless, with no style but what the hell. i had decided to go to la plagne and just ski as a family without lessons, but having read various threads here i suspect that we would all benefit from lessons........................so, sorry if i've made this question longwinded, but any reccommendations for good ski instruction in La Plagne?

finally, just incase anyone reads this thread who hasn't skied for donkeys years and is wondering if they can still do it, after a break of 26 years i put the skis on, launched missen (cacking missen Embarassed ) and then to my delight found it was just like riding a bike, as they say...........so go for it Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sequoiaboard wrote:
launched missen (cacking missen Embarassed )

lol.... You'll be wanting someone who speaks Glaswegian then...

La plagne is a dump of course - see Tarenteise thread - but I did have the best ever ski lesson there about 100 years ago - the guy (old, short, bald, beard, could have been called Jean-Louis??) taught me to always be on one edge or the other - the basics of carving I guess, but transformed my skiing from 'idiot' level to 'punter' level.

enjoy....

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 1-01-08 21:13; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
sequoiaboard, would thoroughly recommend Oxygene in plagne centre. They learned me to ski, so must be doing something right. My pal runs the Cristina in Plagne Centre for Mark Warner, and they put all their guests thru oxygene due to the quality of instruction.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
[quote="red 27"]
sequoiaboard wrote:
launched missen (cacking missen Embarassed )

lol.... You'll be wanting someone who speaks Glaswegian then...

sorry, my "teen in scotland" quote was refering to me being a teen, learning to ski in scotland,,,,,,,,,,,,not a scottish resident learning to ski Laughing
i'm actually a yorkshireman, but now living in the SW , sadly without even a trace of my mother accent, even when drunk or angry .

oh, and la plagne isnt that much of a dump , is it? ever been to bridgwater? Shocked Shocked Laughing
and no, i dont live there.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

the guy (old, short, bald, beard, could have been called Jean-Louis??)
sounds like an instructor I had there once. The roof blew off our house, and husband was flown home courtesy of insurance company, to deal with it. I thought it was a bit of a waste to come home too (to a house without a roof or central heating!) so I stayed on and joined in a class with this old, short, guy who the others in our chalet were raving about. I was one of the two weakest skiers in the group, and I do remember him getting a bit exasperated with me on a mogully run called something like Kamikaze (?) but he was a good instructor. ESF, he was. I asked if I could join the class, but said I wasn't sure I would be fast enough, and didn't want to hold them up. "You can ski fast enough", he told me after the first 10 minutes "but I'm not sure you can ski slow enough". He then headed down a steep slope, doing short turns, and told me to stay in his tracks two metres behind him. "If you overtake me", he said "you'll have to go down into the next class". I learnt a lot about control that week!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy