Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Longer poles for steep terrain or inclement weather?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
At first blush Embarassed this would seem a topic for the Equipment forum.

The primary evidence gathering thus far, however, revolves around watching ski movies so I thought I'd put it here.

Some time ago I had the thought that sizing your ski poles just a bit longer (4cm say) than advised by shop clerks would positively contribute to keeping the upper body still in powder snow. This seemed to be borne out when I tried monoskiing, so I somehow wound up with an extra pair of long poles with big baskets on them. snowHead

Now, looking around on the hill, I was wondering why no one else was doing this? One specific (monoski) occasion involved a total whiteout at the top of Snowbasin, and, by dragging the inside pole along the snow, I was able to fairly sense the snow/air boundary and thus carve without panicking.

So, I thought I'd look at ski films to see what the -really- good skiers were doing. I -think- I see exactly what I speak of.

For example, in the Chamonix segment of Warren Miller's *IMPACT*, Hillary O'Neill's poles appear significantly longer than normal shop sizing. ?
She is not skiing on powder in that segment.
?
Could this also be applicable to skiing in super steep (50-60 degree terrain)?
?
Could this be a visual artifact of filming of skiing on super steep terrain (the skier is so far back from the ski tips that the poles, by comparison, seem longer?)
?
Could we therefore be able to estimate the steepness of filmed terrain (notoriously difficult otherwise), by looking at this phenomenon?
?
What do you think?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
comprex, my understanding was that poles too long would make you too upright and more likely to lean back (like here), while the correct Skier's Stoop was encouraged by poles at elbow height (like here).
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Ah, Jonpim, cause or effect? How do we actually measure 'leaning back'? Visual guesstimate by chin-to-ski tip distance? Or do we actually look at the line of chin-hips-ankles and compare it to vertical? Can we even see 'vertical' in a ski film as the frame is so likely to bias us?

Laughing snowHead Laughing franzöischen Artois-Dragoner snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
comprex, The thing to do is buy a pair of adjustable touring poles, then you can find the best length for a particular set of skiing conditions.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I ski a lot of steep and deep and you cannot do pole plants on steeper slopes (unless you actually bend down a bit to do it) unless your poles are a bit longer than standard (Mine are an inch or so more, perhaps 4cm, as you say). I don't find them any problem on gentler slopes, and steep slopes are when I most want to pole plant.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
snowball wrote:
I ski a lot of steep and deep and you cannot do pole plants on steeper slopes (unless you actually bend down a bit to do it) unless your poles are a bit longer than standard (Mine are an inch or so more, perhaps 4cm, as you say). I don't find them any problem on gentler slopes, and steep slopes are when I most want to pole plant.

I have no doubt whatsoever that you are a better skier than I - but I would like to sort this one out.

Certainly I have to stoop when I pole plant in steep ground - but I have tended to think this good. Leaning down the slope for a good pole plant almost forces me into good transition, which I might otherwise tend to be too timid to initiate. I guess I am asking whether it might not be a good thing to have to do this, and hence stick with my normal length poles?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Nick Zotov, It is advisable to have longer than normal poles for steep ski-ing. It's often not practical to stoop sufficiently to plant your pole on really steep slopes as you would start to fall!pistemeister, has a good suggestion if you're going to do lots of different types of ski-ing, but I would recommend 2 pairs (poles are not that expensive after all), with the off piste/steep pair having larger baskets as well. I use Scott racers and find them a major pain off piste, pushing is useless too.
From the point of view of regular ski-ing, if your poles are too long then you will be too upright (read far back). Ideally, for balance and biomechanics you should have your centre of mass over the middle of your feet and your centre of gravity over your toes/balls of feet. If your shoulders are further back then you may start to stand on your heels instead of the balls of your feet, and thus get aching thigh muscles.
On very step terrain (especially in deep snow) the impression is that the skier is further back, and this is because the tips of the skis are not actually travelling down the line of the slope, but are "floating" in the snow. The skier may very well be in a good position in relation to his skis, but appear to be leaning back in relation to the pitch.
I'm sure this is as clear as mud! Little Angel
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
easiski wrote:
centre of mass over the middle of your feet and your centre of gravity over your toes/balls of feet.

Centre of mass/gravity are the same thing to physicists. I know you must be making a good point, but I'm not sure what it is at the moment! (Understood the main points, particularly the aching thighs, from which I'm a chronic sufferer for the reason you mention!)
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
easiski wrote:
.... The skier may very well be in a good position in relation to his skis, but appear to be leaning back in relation to the pitch.
I'm sure this is as clear as mud! Little Angel

Yes - I experienced that last season - pretty much the first time I had skied steepish slopes, properly (ish!) in deep powder. It took a lot of getting my head around the idea that, because of ski float, I was not skiing at the pitch of the slope. Effectively, the skis had a airfoil-like angle of attack to the slope pitch, it seemed. Hoping for more like that this season Smile

Thanks to you, pistemeister and snowball for the tip about the poles.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
"Longer poles for inclement weather", The other advantage of adjustable poles is, when everybody in the office has hung their brolley on the office hat stand, you can whip your (suitably shortened) poles, out of your pocket hook them on the stand, and gain valuable office/street/slope cred!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nick Zotov, Loosening up the top buckle on your boots might help you out a bit. with the deep-pow aches.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I always keep my top buckle on its loosest setting: gives me more flexibility and spring.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hmm, I'm learning more and more. Normally have had my higher buckles moderately tight.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy