Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Car Hire in Austria - Do I need a 4x4

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hiya - just planning my first trip to Austria in February - flying into Salzburg on 6th Feb and travelling down to the Carinthia region - Bad Kleinkercheim is where we are staying but we plan to visit a few resorts in Carinthia area whilst we are out there. So Just wondering - do we need a 4x4 car to get around in Austria? I have read reports that the roads are pretty good out there - just wondering if we go for the cheap economy priced car if we are going to get into trouble and wished we'd upgraded to the 4x4?

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Def do not need 4x4 - make little difference on icy/snowy roads. Most important things is decent winter tyres which hire cars from salzburg should have as default.You want to opt for chains but unless your heading off on minor roads you'll probably be okay without.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agree with Waynos about 4x4s. Main roads are cleared quickly in Austria, but sometimes, if the weather is heavy with snow, the roads do not remain cleared. If this coincides with your airport return drive...................

You need to take snow chains. You hire them with your car. If you are really smart, once you have reached your resort, take 15minutes to practice putting the chains on one wheel. It's a beggar to do when it is snowing and that is when you have to learn.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

If you are really smart, once you have reached your resort, take 15minutes to practice putting the chains on one wheel.
Unless the weather is completely clear, if you are really smart, you will practice before leaving the airport car park!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I just got back from driving in Austria, and you dont need a 4x4. I was in Tirol and all the roads are very clear and well salted, and I was driving a 4x4 on new winter tyres but most cars there are standard cars. Given the recent change in Austrian law regarding winter tyres, I'd be very surprised if any hire company gave you a car without winter tyres on at this time of year.

Snow chains are like an insurance policy, you'll most likely never need them but if you don't take them then something's bound to go wrong. If the weather gets bad enough for the authorities to restrict a road which you were planning to use, then the police will simply not allow you to use it without chains. On the other hand, if you drive somewhere without having chains and then get stuck, at the very least you'll just look a bit of a tw@ but could possibly face prosecution depending on the level of mayhem that you cause. Take chains!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I think it is more to do with the places you want to visit and the weather at the time.

A 2WD car can loose traction if one wheel spins. A 4x4 looses traction if two wheels spin, generally one at the front with one at the rear. Thus one can regard it as an issue of probability assuming both vehicles have identical tyres.

A 4x4 has an additional 25 to 50mm ground clearance and the tyres are larger. Thus it is good for getting in and out of deep snow where normal cars may not wish to enter. Thus you do gain more options in choosing a place to park in a resort. Off resort on paved roads a 4x4 does not have advantage over a normal car unless there is snow on the road.

It is always the tyre that matters most. Block pattern "mud & snow" tyres are inferior when it comes to braking on a paved road but excels on a mud and snow ground. As long as one uses the vehicle as an equipment and be mindful of its limitations then one could get the most out of it.

I agree with others that carrying a set of snow chains is a good insurance policy, even on a 4x4.

I started about 10 years ago driving to the Alps to ski with a normal 2WD plus snow chains. I even put on a new set of tyres to make sure the car could grip well on the snow. I used the snow chains infrequently.

Now I am on the third 4x4 and used the snow chains only once. It is a lot less bother because a 4x4 can get through more roads without chains than normal 2WD cars. Personally I believe all vehicles will have to stop when the condition is really bad. I see a 4x4, with snow chains, being the last one to get stuck.

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy