Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

April in the Portes Du Soleil

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
How's the snow historically at this time of year? I fancy going back for some skiing but also to try out some more spring/summer activities as well?

I take it the slopes down into the resort are fairly sparse but maybe at the top of the chairlifts/bubble cars might be a starting off point?

thanks!
sarah
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
queen_sheba, obviously the earlier in the month the better. It varies hugely - there are usually some nice snowfalls in April, but they don't last long. If it's warm and sunny, the grass will be green in the bottoms of the valleys, and the spring flowers starting. If it's cold weather overnight, reckon on skiing a few hours hours, between, say, 10.30 when the pistes will be thawing out, and about 2pm when they will be becoming slushy. And try to find somewhere with some north/east facing slopes. Les Contamines could be a good bet at that time of year, from the point of view of slope aspect. More important than altitude, sometimes.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
You will probably not be able to ski the whole PdS in April, however for the last 6 years there has been fantastic snow in Avoriaz in April, would not suffer so much from aspect as in other resorts. A lot of North facing slopes that hold the snow well. Shame of you to be thinking of spring/summer activities when the snow is lying around!

I appreciate it is a generalisation but my advice would be, for April I would keep away from Les Gets and Morzine. January - March would be better to go to those areas,

When is your trip to the PdS? I read a thread that you are taking a group or have I mixed you up with someone else?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
lol...yeah fair point....although i saw people parapeting and it looked fun!

i was taking a group - we came back yesterday!! boo.... Crying or Very sad

but an amazingly successful group...18 of us and we all got on famously

yeah fancied going back to the same chalet in les gets...but as you say...april is gonna be questionable. i'm also toying with the idea of zermatt in summer but mildly put off by the altitude...
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you want an idea of where is consistently good, you might check Snow Report History on www.igluski.com/viewSnowHistory.cfm
This gives a month by month description of snow depth over 5/6 years, although it seems to have run out of steam a year or so ago. You can however make a judgement on snow depth consistency.

Zermatt is a must on your "go there sometime list". The altitude is not bad for most people, and even so, the effects seem to be alleviated once you start skiing. Went last year. going over the hill this year to Saas Fee.

However, before then, having one week in Bridet les bain, and two weeks in Niederau........ can't wait
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
queen_sheba, Morzine/Les Gets are both great in April Roy Hockley, is a little bit too generalistic with his comment.

We have had some of the biggest dumps in April and some of the best skiing - empty slopes, cheap deals - what more would you want!

Also you can enjoy more of the year round activities i.e. parapenting, the 'Fantasticable' in Plaine Dranse opens in March/April - before this it can be too cold.....

As pam w, the orientation of the slopes is a lot more important than altitude!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dave Mac, welcome to snowHeads Smile
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowandtrek, sorry I thought I agreed that slope orientation would be more important and I did say that over the last 6 years we have seen a lot of snow at that time of year. I have benefitted from it myself. My preferred time to go to the lower parts of the PdS would normally be a month earlier, I do accept however that the slopes are less croweded!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy