Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New skis and bindings advice please

Poster: A snowHead
I went into a ski shop today on the way home from visiting family and managed to purchase a new pair of Scott Punishers with the S10 binding. As it was a impulse(ish) thought about getting a new pair of skis but didn’t go out to buy skis, I didn’t have my boots with me, managed to set them up with boots from the shop in my size no problem. When getting home I compared them to my K2s I noticed that my Punishers had their bindings set to 6.5 and my K2 to 8. They were both done by ski technicians, K2 in resort last April. So my questions;

1. Is that too much variation?
2. If so what should my Din be? (aware of the problems of advising on line but just an idea)
Height 184 cm
Weight 110Kg
Boot length 339mm
Age 27
3. If the Din should be nearer to 8 do I need new bindings on my Punishers?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 31-12-07 19:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jtobin03, why would you need new bindings - surely the Din is adjustable?

were the boots the same sole length as yours?

there's loads of info about bindings in various threads - you could try a search.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The boots are one size smaller, thought i might need new bindings as if I need to be set at 8 this is near the limit (10) I was under the impression that the binding should be near the middle. looked at setting Dins and even more confused. Searched the ski on the web and every shaop has it with a different combo.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
jtobin03, ah well, I'm no expert - I'm sure someone will be along soom to give advice.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
hey i work in a ski shop

i think i know what the difference could be. the din setting is also dependant on your ability 1-beginner, 2-intermediate, 3 advanced. so if you are an intermediate your binding setting would be 6.5 but if you said you were an advanced skier you would be set at 8.

seems like a big jump but thats going off the salomon chart i have.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
jtobin03, I don't think you need to worry, most peoples complaints about din 10 bindings is not that they are near the limit but for their use they are over the limit. This is for very steep downhill Big air jumps and cliff hucks/drops where you would prefer to not release in a crash than to pre-release and fall to a possible severe injury.

Interms of your boot size I am not sure if this is wise to use some in the store. As everytime I've bought bindings they have asked for my sole length i.e. that 339 figure I guess which is imprinted on the bottom of the boot along the sole. If this number is the same as the number on the boots used in the store then you are fine.

A check would be to put the boots in the bindings and see if the mid point mark on the boots aligns with the midpoint mark on the skis.

According to the din calculator on the net the 6.75 Din is the correct one for 331+ 95k+ type 2 moderately aggressive skier. So I would look at ~ 7.25 as you are a good site heavier than 95k.

For more aggressive skiers the Din will increase quite dramatically ~ 8.25 for 331mm+ & 95k+ type 3 (big) aggressive skier. So i would look at ~ 8.5.

I think anywhere between 7-8 should be fine but ....... I am not an expert (in any way!)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
el capitan, Don't forget that chart has a limit that the top weight is 95kilo+ and 331mm+ sole length. 15kilo is a considerable extra weight.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
there is no weight limit on this chart at least not that im aware of, the last weight category is >/=95kg, and last boot sole length category is >/=330mm
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I put my numbers through the online calculator and got the same, but just wanted to see what people said first. So will a Din of 8 be ok on 10 Din bindings. I am going to get my skis rechecked anyway but the difference between 6 - 8 looked big to me. Just wanted some knowledge for when I go to get my skis serviced.

el capitan I wouldnt say I am an expert but would the tech in April have set them higher as I was skiing in heavy snow?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
im not sure, the type of skiing done never really comes into it for us. the ability numbers could also be influenced by how agressive you are as a skier, so if you put a lot of effort in to skiing you could be categorised as a type 3. hmmm, i guess different people just have different ways of doing it...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
el capitan, I ski with them on 7 and I would classify myself as an 'expert'. I have a very long sole length so the moment forces are different.

It's an individual setting that shouldn't just be cranked up.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
jtobin03, I think you're getting confused between boot length adjustment & the DIN release settings.

Boot Length Adjustment
Bindings usually fall in to 2 catagories, either flat or rail mounted. Flat mounted bindings are seperate toe & heel pieces that the screwed directly to the ski. Flat mounted bindings are fixed using a jig set to your boot sole length but the heel piece with have an amount of fore/aft adjustment (usaully about 20-30mm) to allow for changes in boot length. Changes larger than this adjustment will require the binding to be re-mounted at a different length setting.

Rail mounted bindings still have seperate toe & heel pieces but they are mounted with a track that is screwed directly to the ski. Rail mounted bindings have an almost infinite length adjustment & can be altered very quickly, often without tools.

So if your own boot length is different to that the shop used to set-up the bindings then then bindings will need adjusting in length. This is nothing to do with the DIN release settings.

DIN Settings
The DIN release settings are the amount of torque required to release the bindings & that depends on a number of factors:

Height 184 cm
Weight 110Kg
Boot length 339mm
Age 27
and also whether your male/female & your age?

The final piece of information required to use the DIN calculation chart correctly is your Skier Type. This is not an ability rating but a description of how you ski (ie, aggressive, timid, fast, slow) & the terrain your ski (ie, groomed or off-piste, steeps, bumps, gentle gradients etc. The Skier Types are:

TYPE 1 “Cautious skiing at LOWER visual indicator settings”
• Prefer slow to moderate speeds.
• Prefer gentle to moderate terrain.
• Receive lower than average visual indicator settings. This may increase the risk of inadvertent binding release in order to increase the likelihood of release in a fall.
• Type 1 settings apply to “entrylevel skiers uncertain of their classification”.

TYPE 2 “Moderate skiing at AVERAGE visual indicator settings”
• Prefer a variety of speeds.
• Prefer varied terrain.
• Type 2 skiers are skiers who do not meet all the descriptions of Type 1 or Type 3 skier types.

TYPE 3 “Aggressive skiing at HIGHER visual indicator settings”
• Prefer fast speeds.
• Prefer steep terrain.
• Receive higher than average visual indicator settings. This may reduce the likelihood of release in a fall in order to decrease the risk of inadvertent binding release.

TYPE -1 or 3+
These types were only introduced in the last few years to extend the range of options:
Type -1 are skiers who desire settings lower than settings for a Type 1 skier
Type 3+ are for skiers who desire settings higher than settings for a Type 3 skier

All the above information applied to a chart to give your your recommended release settings & your binding's toe & heel pieces are adjusted so that the DIN release number is indicated on the scale. It used to be recommeded for best performance that a binding was selected so that your DIN setting was in the middle of it's range, ie choose a 4-12 range binding if your DIN setting is 8 however this is old hat & all the latest bindings should perform accurately & consistently across their entire adjustment range. I currently use 8-16 bindings set on 9.

So if your two sets have bindings have set using differing criteria then the chart will give different release settings. For example, my chart reading based on a type 3 skier is 7 but it's 8.5 if I use a type 3+ classification.

Note, & this is were boot length & DIN adjustment cross over, that the release setting is only accurate when the seperate forward pressure adjustment on the binding's heel piece has been adjusted with your own boot in place. The forward pressure adjustment allows for individual variations in boot length & the fact that the boot length adjustment on either a mounting jig or in the rail system tends to be in 5 or 10mm increments that don't exactly match your boot length. In your case the bindings will have been mounted based on a 340mm boot length but your boot is actually 339mm long so the forward pressure allows for this.

As the store did not have your actual boot available then the forward pressure adjustment on your new bindings must be checked/altered as necessary before the skis are used.

Hope this helps.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
el capitan wrote:
...... i guess different people just have different ways of doing it...

NO! There are not different ways of doing it! That's why it's a DIN standard, so it's done the same by everyone everywhere for consistency & safety.

el capitan, out of interest has your shop sent you on a binding technician's course or were you 'shown the ropes' by someone else in the shop?

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Mon 31-12-07 20:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jtobin03, el capitan, Yes ... deeper snow will make a difference due to the increased forces required to either lift the ski from the powder or turn went still aprtially immersed in the powder which in essence is 'weight'

Din 7 should be fine but heh speak to an expert in resort.

I skied din 9 on my powder skis and din 8 on my carvers which was far too high so thankfully I didn't have a big crash ..... but ..... now the amusing thing. On small crashes at this exagerated din setting the skis released whcih suggests that the Din reading was not accurate as i should be ~ 7-7.5 max
snow conditions
spyderjon, I also find slightly amusing Lou Dawson's sites response that very few people fit into the type 3 category! ..... it's back to type 2 for me ... Sad
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy