Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Test Websites

Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone please supply details on web sites featuring ski tests on the latest models, in particular freeride models and the new K2 Apache Recons and the new Volkl 724 EXP's.

The manufacturers sites are next to useless. So far I've tracked down the following:

SCGB Ski & Board Magazine, Nov 04 issue
Daily Mail Ski & Snowboards Magazine, Nov 04 issue
www.skimag.com
www.techsupportforskiers.com

I'm sure there must be more out there.

I know all tests are subjective but one of the problems I've found is the contradictory comments. For example in the Daily Mail test on the 724 EXP it says under 'Pros', "Made nice nippy short turns" and then under 'Cons' it says, "Struggled with the shorter turns". Go figure!

I demo'd both the Recon's and the EXP's yesterday at Castleford but obviously the slope is very limiting. I found the EXP's a lot easier in quick short turns than the Recons yet the Daily Mail test scored the Recon 1st in the 'Short Turn' category, ahead of the Volkls?

Hence my need for more info.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There was a recent thread over on barking bear:
http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=20015

Not sure how useful these other sites will be though...
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Try epicski.com.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon wrote:

I know all tests are subjective but one of the problems I've found is the contradictory comments. For example in the Daily Mail test on the 724 EXP it says under 'Pros', "Made nice nippy short turns" and then under 'Cons' it says, "Struggled with the shorter turns". Go figure!

The explanation is simple - most skis perform differently for different skier types (ie.varying in size, style and ability). So we often get apparently contradictory quotes. The fact that our testers' quotes don't always neatly agree should be proof that this is a genuine test, and not just a case of us spouting what our advertisers want us to say.

This year, we have included precise data on our testers, so if you look carefully you can see that the tester who thought that the 724 EXP "made nice short turns" is a 9 stone female "advanced-level" skier, whereas the tester who thought it "struggled" is a 13+ stone former British Team racer. Draw your own conclusions.

Martin Bell
Equipment Editor, Daily Mail Ski & Snowboard
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Martin Bell, ?Thank you very much for that info.

I have just looked again at the ski and board magazine and your right .....they do not mention the weight or height of the tester nor the ski length, only the sidecut measurements. Confused

I have bought some Head IM75 but not beacause of the report but because i tried them last year and thaoght they were perfect for me... Very Happy

I think that people should accept that the testing is to give people a guide but not a n answer as to what they should buy.

My opinion is that you should read the tests and then try for yourself before buying.............most resorts allow testing of skiis I think Puzzled
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Shawn Walmsley, certainly in the US one can get demos virtually anywhere. You may have to pay for them, though. Some areas do have complimentary demos available...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ssh, I knew that was the case in the US and know that you sometimes have to pay Sad I tried mine in Lake Louise and was told that I would get the fee discounted if I bought the skiis but they didnt have them in stock as it was the end of season Confused

I am not sure if it is the same in europe Puzzled

maybe they have the same conditions but definitely if you go to the US make use of the test days...........specially if they are free
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
check out also Ski-Review

not sure if the skis you're interested in are there but they're building a fair number of reviews on the site
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Martin Bell,

Thanks for the feedback. I understand what you're saying & obviously it's best for people to actually test the skis themselves.

The problem is that only a few comments are published from the large team of testers which means that punters like myself will still find it hard to interpret.

How about printing a table which at least shows how each tester ranked each ski?

Even better would be to have on-line access to the individual tester's reports on individual skis to enable readers to select reports by testers with a similar height/build/ability level as themselves.

BTW, I don't mean to have a go at your magazine - just trying to be constructive in helping you to produce the best ski tests published snowHead
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, those are great ideas and I will certainly press my editors to accept the first. The second is currently not possible as our parent company pulled the plug on our website a few years ago.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Snow and rock and Ellis Brigham are good places to start. You can get reviews online...
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
JT, one of the problems I have with that is beliving reviews from somone who wants to sell me something. With rare exceptions, I can't remember ever asking about a product stocked by a retailer (in *any* field) only to be told "it's rubbish, don;t bother buying that". Well, not unless they wanted to sell me a more expensive model, anyway.

"Independent" ski test might be a better turn of phrase.

this might be worth a glimpse
http://travel.canoe.ca/SkiCanadaProductTests/home.html
being a magazie though, it look slike they have;t got this year's skis there, I know they were in Fernie in March. maybe soon?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Shawn, in answer to your question, I've never had a problem in testing skis in France. Mostly I've had to pay, but then have always been told that they will knock off the price if I buy the skis.

Occasionally last season Rossignol had ski demo days at Alpe d'Huez where it was possible to try different skis free of charge. I've seen this elsewhere in France too with Salomon and Dynastar.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
nbt, Yes, I know what you mean but as a reference they are pretty good.
I'll try your site as I need some skis...Thanks
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
www.skireviews.co.uk
ski holidays
spyderjon, apparently DMS&S now will have a website again after a hiatus of several years. It is supposed to go online next week. I have forwarded your suggestion to my editor.
snow conditions
I bought 724 EXP last season...I tested them against Rossi' B2, Head IM75, Fischer Big Stix 76.

The 724 were head and shoulders above the rest for me.
I am a good skier (but not expert), I can do anything on piste, manage any moguls (but with reduced style), and have fun in the deep stuff (with significantly reduced style). I am 5'11", weigh 13 1/2 Stone (and hoping to reduce that!).

I found the 724 to be exceptionally lively, terrific feedback at all times, great fun for short turns (I like quick turning "slalom" style), carve very well at speed, stable at speed (HATED the B2s, tips flapping around like flappy things!). Good in moguls (I went for the 175 length) and OK off piste (though I also bought ex-demo Atomic Sugar Daddies for those real powder days).

I'd say go for the 724 EXP (especially as they are last years ski now, so they should be cheap) I loved them....but remember it is all your own taste: I thought the B2s were awful, but they are the biggest selling ski of the last few years, so a lot of other people would disagree with me.
snow report
spyderjon, It's great to have the feedback from Martin Bell; The team they put together for the DMSS mag seem to be a reasonably wide set of opinions (only lacking a aging, tithead as a 'control' . . . hint, hint Madeye-Smiley ) so, as a baseline their reviews can be seen as a starting point to limit your own range of testing. I'd do a 'Vordeman', two from the top and one from the bottom. The only all mountain stix I've ridden are some old K2 Axis (which were very forgiving of my limited skills) and the K2 Apache Recons at the MK test which gave me the impression that they'd suit whatever level of competence/incompetence I wanted to exercise at the time . . . from early morning hero to late afternoon booze hound. I've no connection to K2 'cos I bought Atomic SX10's (and love'm to bits), but they cannot be called 'all mountain'

Just ride as many as you can this season and have fun doing it. snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy