Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Outsize snowchains

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone know of a company selling commercial snowchains? My Range Rover has 285/35/R22 wheels and I can't find any chains to fit. I've spoken with www.snowchains.co.uk and they were helpful but I would need to go down to Kent and get the wheel measured on their rig to see if anything would fit, which isn't that convenient as I am based in Leeds.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BGA, possibly easier to find in France, down towards the Alps, where any supermarket, or Halfords type place (lie Feu Vert) will have a big range.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BGA, I have used www.snowchains.co.uk in Tunbridge several times. They fitted me up with some low profile chains for tyres 245/45 R18. the handbook said they couldn't be used for clearance reasons, but the ones they made up worked perfectly.
With wheels and tyres that big on a Rangerover, they're going to be pretty useless in the snow & ice. I would have thought that you'd be better off fitting some cheaper smaller rims and winter tyres, with chains. also with such low profile tyres, any chains are going to destroy the alloys.
The only other option may be to try Spikes Spider.
You've got no chance of buying them off the shelf.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Another option, but much more expensive is get some snow tyres. i think Conti Winter 810s come in that size. Then you'll never need chains. I've got some on my 535d Touring and it takes the car from terrible to really quite good in the snow. I just change them over in teh winter.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snow chains on a range rover, Isn't that like fitting a propeller to a 747 ?

Winter tires is all you should need.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Downhill....corners!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hill decent control !
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ah..... very flash
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Royal wrote:
hill decent control !

Doesn't work if all 4 wheels are sliding. No substitute for Chains.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think a big thumbs up for actually doing something even though you have a 4x4....quite refreshing as so many peeps who have 4x4's think they dont need anything at all on their summer low profile tyres !

I must say though if you can afford the tyres then chains will never be needed.

SNOW TYRES.....less hassle and way better to drive on than chains.

Alex
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Royal wrote:

Winter Tyres certainly get you further, but when things get really bad Chains are still required and obligatory in France.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sometimes Winter tyres just aren't enough.Very Happy
[img][/img]
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hmm. Just had a look on the interweb and no joy finding winter tyres of the correct size. Other alternative of buying a spare set of wheels and tyres works out £2k. Autosock, Spikes-Spider not available according to www.roofbox.co.uk due to tyre size. Might have to rely on French Halfords option, or the HDC electronic magic. Should anyone be stuck behind a silver Range Rover doing 6MPH in the vicinity of Verbier, that will be me.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Spyderman, Its not a legal requirement in France. Equipment Obligitere is Chains or Snow Tyres...not both. For example in the Tarentaise it starts from Albertville that you need either. The conversation with the Gendarmerie sometimes goes something along the lines of you have to have chains, however if you quote them the above and show them the tyres i've not once had an issue in the years I lived in the Alps. Proper snow tyres are better than chains if they have lots of tread left. My current car can't take chains so I have little choice and last year had to travel from Chamonix to Verbier and did it all on snow tyres. Wasn't an issue and 40cm of snow had fallen.

ps...like the Land Rover....Bit different to the main raod up tp Tignes though !

Alex
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
BGA, honestly if you spend £800 on a set of snow tyres you will be able to get through anything the road to Verbier will through at you in a Range Rover.

You'll have them for future years etc as well. If my M Sport 535d Touring with 500lb plus of torque can drive in the snow then you'll sail past everyone with the right rubber. Finding the tyres wont be easy though as there is a massive shortage. Try calling continental direct and see if they have any stock in your size. Or the Michelin Alpin come in big sizes. You can get them from Costco at a good price.
ski holidays
BGA, Try the Landrover main stealers for take offs. If someone has upgraded their alloys, they quite often just bin the old ones, or try www.paddockspares.com they're doing 20" alloys with tyres from £217+VAT, so 20" rims for about £100 +VAT each, they may even do a deal for rims and winter tyres. They're totally reliable, I've been using them for Landrover parts for years.
Quite often New Rangerover alloys are sold on fleabay, maybe worth a look. Check Winter tyre sizes first, you just want ones with close to the same rolling circumference, plus compatible alloys.
latest report
Just had a quick check and found that 255 x 65 x 17 tyres are only 5mm diferent in diameter and I belive I have seen that size on BMW X5 or was it a Merc M series ? Use this link http://www.1010tires.com/TireSizeCalculator.asp to try out various sizes and then look for one that fits a more run of the mill size.
snow report
Will give Paddock spares a call after the hols. Oddly enough tried Costco in Leeds today but they didn't have anything in, and the YTS gibbon on the desk didn't seem to have much clue. Just had a look at the Michelin website, the Alpin only seems to go up to 19 inches. Continental do 295/35/R21, but will call them as well. Think best option is to try and get some standard wheels with winter tyres. Might look a bit odd with all Overfinch add-ons and standard wheels, but safety first I suppose!
ski holidays
BGA, How about Easyjet to GVA then Alpinexpress wink
snow conditions
I bought 5 original Toyota Land Cruiser 17 x 7.5 alloys off fleabay for less than the cost of one from Toyota, well worth checking but beware people have odd ideas as to what categories rims should be in, use all kinds of search terms. Total cost including 4 winter tyres £871 a bargin.
latest report
Quote:

BGA, How about Easyjet to GVA then Alpinexpress

Eight sets of skis to get out, plus all season's ski kit and clothes (and tuning equipment of course wink ) Probably cheaper to buy another Range Rover than pay the XS baggage charges on EJ rolling eyes
latest report
BGA, fleabay has this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Range-Rover-19-alloy-wheels-Tyres-BRAND-NEW-X-4_W0QQitemZ220187872543QQihZ012QQcategoryZ9888QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
snow report
Spyderman wrote:
BGA, fleabay has this: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-Range-Rover-19-alloy-wheels-Tyres-BRAND-NEW-X-4_W0QQitemZ220187872543QQihZ012QQcategoryZ9888QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
Good cost for the wheels, but you'd need different tyres !

"The Pirelli Scorpion Zero tyre is what we would describe as a car 4x4 tyre. If you decided to hit the farmers field you may need a rope and tractor to get out the other side! But this tyre is not built for fields; it is the new breed of Ultra High Performance 4x4 tyres. Found on the likes of the BMW X5 it gives the driver smooth ride and has a relatively long life. Really good in the wet and notably quiet at high speed"

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 1-01-08 12:00; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Thanks Spyderman, have e-mailed the seller about those. Can get chains in that size so might be a good solution
latest report
You could always keep the rims, take the Tyres off and stick them back on ebay, probably get £200-£300 for them and then buy new winter tyres.
ski holidays
BGA, Chances are that if you can get chains to fit the 19 inch wheels the same chains would probably fit the 22 inch rims, after all you don't need to change gear ratios, so rolling circumference must be close!!
latest report
BGA - I live in the French Alpes, I’ll take a look in local Auto Marts (Feu Vert) to see if 285/35/R22 snow chains are available - give me a few days, I’ll get back to you.
I have a number of (new) Landrover Defenders all carry snow chains and believe me, I’ve had to use them many times. Even though we drive “the best 4 x 4 by far” they still need a little help at times !!! My advise - if you're driving in snow always carry snow chains, better still fit snow tyres and still carry snow chains, regardless of the electronic gismo’s fitted (hill decent, traction control etc)
snow report
BGA, Leave the Ford take the Aston wink Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Frenchleave2,
Quote:
I’ll take a look in local Auto Marts (Feu Vert) to see if 285/35/R22 snow chains are available

I think you've got more chance of finding Rocking Horse Sh*t Laughing
snow report
BGA, BGA I might have some that you can borrow. When do you need them? PM me?
snow report
I have a lot of experience with this particular subject.
I run a Range Rover Autobiography with 22 inch wheels - I work with this vehicle in the ski resort of Courchevel throughout each winter season: www.courchevel-chauffeur.kk5.org

I've driven almost every brand of luxury 4x4 suv in ski resorts - some with normal summer tyres... and I can tell you all - it's no joke!

Now - first of all... there are snow chains available that fit Range Rovers (other brands are also available) with 22" Rims. I have a set and I seem to remember buying them in France. This particular model of chain are no longer available but they have been replaced. You can use any of the chains available here: http://www.tyreleader.co.uk/snow-chain-295-35-21/

- they all DO fit 22" wheels with tyres up to 295/35/22

Ok so that should help some of you who've found your way to this posting.
What I will add is that although there are chains available for your 22" wheels, be warned - these traditional snow chains will mark your lovely (and expensive 22" rims) - you'll need them refurbishing after you've used your snow chains Sad not good!

Secondly - having driven my Range Rover in the extreme fresh snow conditions - even at 3am before the 1st snow plough - with both snow tyres or snow chains at some point in the past - I can honestly say that at some point a snow tyre reaches it's limit far before a snow chain will. If you're driving a 4x4 with big wheels you're almost certainly driving on ''WIDE Tyres" too... this is why snow tyres in 22" aren't so effective. Anything wider than 255 in a snow tyre will perform badly eventually.

Third - Big 4x4's are heavy! Driving up hill isn't a problem even with normal summer tyres... but driving down a snow-covered mountain road is scary in a heavy 4x4... even with snow tyres fitted. For this reason I stared looking at designing a different type of snow chain. When I started my research I found that someone was already selling a chain similar to what I had imagined. The product in question is the MITA Snow-Chain made in Italy : http://www.blumec.it/product/info.php

Now - this type of chain requires some mechanical 'common-sense' to fit the first time... but after that it's just a case of fitting them before you hit the mountain roads. You can drive of dry roads with these chains which makes it a great choice if you're moving between resorts where the snow clears and then reappears on your journey. I even drive from Courchevel to Chambery airport and back with removing them - it's that simple. The wider your tyres - the better these are... so anyone driving on 'fashionably-big-wide' tyres will be happy they found this discussion.

What's really great about these chains is how they perform in comparison to other chains and snow tyres.

Snow tyres perform well on snow but don't like ice - so at night when the temperature drops and the roads freeze over, your snow tyres aren't so great... you need another set of 'studded tyres' for ice.

These Mita Chains grip on all surfaces... snow, ice, tarmac... I love them! I put them on at the start of the winter and only remove them if I'm heading out of the mountains for more than 24hrs (seems silly driving on them when you aren't expecting to need them).

I purchased 2 sets and use them on my summer tyres (all 4 wheels chained up!). I towed a motorhome up the mountain in fresh snow last season - people just looked in amazement as we sailed by... it was hilarious!

I would suggest to anyone with nice, expensive 22" wheels on their cars to fit these chains. When you see them you'll understand why they would be the best choice for any car and any snow / ice conditions.

Hope this helps anyone who finds this discussion.
Thanks,
Marcus.
snow report
Haha, perfect.
snow conditions
Spyderman wrote:
Royal wrote:

Winter Tyres certainly get you further, but when things get really bad Chains are still required and obligatory in France.

True, but if you are in a 4x4 and have snow tyres fitted, they'll wave you through rather than stop you and make you put chains on. I was in a Defender wearing General Grabber AT2s (with the mountain and snowflake symbol, so properly snow rated). Gendarmes just waved me through almost every time. Only once did they ever bother to check the tyres were proper snow tyres.

I never once needed chains, even when once I drove the (closed) road from Morzine to Chatel through the pass, in heavy snow and an unplowed road. That said, I suspect that conditions could have arisen where the chains were required. I certainly felt happier knowing I had them in the vehicle.

I carried chains. Never took them out of the case. They'll be for sale soon along with the snow tyres, as no ski season for me this year *sob*
ski holidays
Harry Flashman, How much are the tyres?
ski holidays
keeping in mind that this discussion is for snow tyres / snow chains for a Range Rover with 22 inch wheels - there's not a lot of choice for this size tyre in a winter-option.
Vredestein / Continental & Pirelli all make 22" options...
You'll be extremely lucky to see change from £1200.00 for a set of 4 snow tyres.
ski holidays
http://feifeichain.en.alibaba.com/product/531146472-200701898/Textile_Snow_Chains_Fabric_Snow_Chains_Autosock_Snow_Socks_Tire_Socks_Tire_Covers.html

Look at the cost for bulk purchase of snow sox. £7 a pair
ski holidays
BGA, All good advice above, but forgive me for mentioning it..... Aren't those rather daft tyres to fit to a range rover in the first place? They must be utterly useless on anything but Tarmac aren't they?
ski holidays
foxtrotzulu,
Quote:

Might look a bit odd with all Overfinch add-ons and standard wheels
snow report
blahblahblah wrote:
http://feifeichain.en.alibaba.com/product/531146472-200701898/Textile_Snow_Chains_Fabric_Snow_Chains_Autosock_Snow_Socks_Tire_Socks_Tire_Covers.html

Look at the cost for bulk purchase of snow sox. £7 a pair

Not a great product - yes better than a crappy summer only tire - don't count as chains with the local gendarmes - you would be asked to turn round and get some real ones -
snow report
Quote:

BGA, All good advice above, but forgive me for mentioning it..... Aren't those rather daft tyres to fit to a range rover in the first place? They must be utterly useless on anything but Tarmac aren't they?

That's what everybody used to say to anyone with 22" wheels fitted - low and behold - they're now standard equipment on the latest Range Rovers.
From personal experience cheap tyres really spoil both the ride and handling on the Range Rover - but a top-shelf brand tyre handles great in the wet & dry... but dragging this thread back on-subject... the Mita snow chain is my 1st choice in comparison to snow tyres / costs.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy