Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sorry. Another "what ski for me" thread

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all

Sorry to do this but its time for new skis and it is so darn confusing. I would like some advice from the learned inhabitants of Snowheads.

Here are some stats about me. I am 45 yo, skied every season since 1982, am 5' 8" ( 173 cms) tall & 89kgs (198 lbs). Stocky but not fat.

Currently have been skiing on Atomic 9:18 (@ 180cm) for 6 years. I am going to Whistler for 2 weeks from Mid Feb 2008 and generally ski at Perisher Valley in Australia. I consider myself a reasonablely strong skier and can get around all of the mountain here in Australia and most of the mountain in Whistler (except for some of the double blacks). I like the groomed but also love getting off the beaten tracks too.

I have looked and searched and seem to think that the Atomic Nomad Blackeye or the Crimson fits the bill for me. Is there any other comments / suggestions / advice on other skis out there ?

if I go the blackeyes, what length ? If I go the crimson, what length for those? Or other skis / lengths combinations?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Regards

Paul O
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
poo_noo, welcome to Snowheads! I'm not much of an equiment-head myself but I'm sure there'll be a few more knowledgable peeps along soon!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
poo_noo, Welcome to snowHead Ive no doubt you will get some good advice from the equipment heads, but just to say my SO is around your height but a bit lighter and she used to ski on the same ski. When deciding to change skis and demo some others the chap in the shop checked her old skis and gave her a Volkl 5* to try. She used to use the 170cm and was reluctant to try the 161 but now glad she did.

Needless to say she loved it and I couldnt get em off her feet to give back until I found some to buy. Last year in Whistler she didnt have any problems at all sking groomed, trees and Double Blacks - in fact the only trouble they gave was to me having to carry TWO pairs of skis up Spankys etc as she struggles to carry them Shocked
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
poo_noo, welcome to snowHeads Paul.

The Crimson's are a great ski & the 176cm would be spot on for you're stats as it was ideal for me & I'm the same ht/wt. It's wider waist will be better off-piste than the narrower Blackeye with no real loss on piste.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
poo_noo, I suggest going to Whistler Village Sports and demoing some skis where you rent practically new skis which is the best way to find out which skis are good. I did that a couple of years ago and they knocked off the rental fee when I bought a pair from them.

They seem to know their stuff so would be ideal to ask about what skis to test out. Cool snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I got my skis from ExCess at the base of Blackcomb (the end shop opposite Monk's Grill and Blackcomb day lodge). I had excellent service, demoed a few skis and I had useful input from the staff as and when needed. They've got a fairly small yet comprehensive range of skis from good manufacturers. Definitely worth a look, and being almost on the slope makes for ultra quick turnaround.

One negative, not being an Intrawest shop, you won't be able to use the 10% discount cards you can pick up just about anywhere...

Oh yes, and welcome to snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks everyone for the info & tips

Regards

Paul O

EDIT I did a bit of online searching..... Looks Like Whistler Village Sports & Excess are the same company. Thanks to all snowheads for the input into my next ski puchase http://www.whistlervillagesports.com/contact.html Very Happy
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy