Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowboard or Ski???

Poster: A snowHead
pam w, I was serious but maybe it did not come over that way, times when I have been on a chair lift and a skier has fallen next to me (not my fault) the skier has been unable to get up quick enough and seemed to be unable/unaware enough to scramble to the side. The task of putting a board on sitting down means that you are quite at home falling on your butt, either with one foot in or two or at a chair lift or anywhere else for that matter, whereas when the skier has a little fall it looks quite dangerous, difficult and ungainly to get back up.

I was quite shocked recently when a skier had a litttle fall when approaching a chair lift - was struggling to get up - and all the skiers just stood there and looked at him, so as I got there (with my one foot in my bindings Very Happy ) I gave him a hand up. It was as if the skiers did not want to be associated with someone who had fallen in such a (simple) manner at a lift. I make a point of helping skiers who have fallen becasue it is easy to sit on my butt and pick up a ski or pole, and ride to the unfortunate soul, and give the ski back,

So there are some advantages being able to sit on your butt in the middle of a piste Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I board, my brother skis.

Definatly harder initially (1st day) on boards, but after 2-3 days you should be turning on all blues and most reds... Most skiers don't go on reds in the first week.
I managed my first turns on steep blacks at the end of my second week.

You don't need to be sitting on your backside, get some flow bindings. I stop for a rest on my knees (wear knee pads), or just balance somewhere flattish, but rarely sit on my backside.

Flats! ... thats what skiers have poles for? so they can tow boarders... TBH after 3-4 days you will be on reds... not many flat reds Smile

Skiers do seem to be able to hack it down a hill at stupid speeds. Im not really sure they are are in control tho.
Boarders seem to find more interesting things to do on the way down than break the sound barrier. Im always looking for bumps and cut throughs. There are also flatland tricks on boards (butters etc).

I certainly wish i had another two edges on icey bits. Skiers seem to breeze icy runs.
Lifts are a pain for boarders, you will fall over at the end of lifts ALL the time the first week you are out. You will get it tho. Best to stick to the modern lifts that slow down at the end and stick to the outside seat, so the lift doesn't come round and wack you.

Age is not relevant, I started boarding at 38.

As much as I respect skiers... there is on thing that boarding has that they cannot deny... Style.

Boarding just looks cool, feels cool, and ... well IS cool.

Tux
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rayscoops, I hope you're around next time I fall on my skis! We have a flat section to the top of our home run - I have sometimes been able to give a boarder a tow, when I am on skis. We are doing our best to spread goodwill and understanding, it seems! From my own experience it is often apparently "little", slow speed, falls on skis which do the most damage. The times when I have gone flying, skis everywhere, sliding miles down the slope, I have not hurt myself. Beginners on skis can hurt themselves very badly - one friend put himself out of action for the whole week last year, on day 1, in a private lesson! Awkward twisting fall in lumpy snow, usual thing, did his knee. Beginners on boards are unlikely to do themselves great damage - with the exception of breaking wrists, I suppose. You do need quickly to learn to fall without putting your wrists in jeopardy.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
rayscoops wrote:
Board is best ... If you have any doubts just go to the Bendzeknees section and read all the silly arguments about basic skiing techniques,skiers can not agree even what to do with the poles

Amen to that! While it wouldn't put me off ever skiing, it does mean that if I can only be good at one thing it has to be boarding. I want to have fun, not argue about technical minutiae. Having said that, I reckon there's much good to say about skiing, and many skiers are lovely and helpful, even to us piste-blocking, pants-round-the-ankles-wearing boarders NehNeh
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
tubbs, After reading Palegilt's neurosis about his ever shrivelling testicular function one must wonder if he'll ever pass puberty without his dick inverting. Though I think we should all be more tolerant of his affliction . . . it is rare to be approaching 30 and yet to experience any perceivable level of maturity.

He's actually and physiologically incorrect about the human body. We are capable of repair and to a considerable extent muscle training and (colloquially expressed) growth up until the age of about 80. It does vary with genetic traits, but on the whole it is possible to retain 80% of corpuscular flexibility and strength till that age . . . though that does require you to maintain constant high level of activity throughout your life.

That does mean that you may in your latter years, approach . . . with sensibility . . . an intensively active sport . . . just don't expect to perform as a teenager or recover from your efforts as quickly. Though after 3 or 4 weeks of continual exercise you will find a marked improvement.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Masque, Well said. I may disagree with your point re ski/board speed, but wholeheartedly endorse your view of BlancOr's afflictions. Laughing
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As a recent returnee to skiing (after 10 years of boarding) I can say that skiing is physically easier, less faff on lifts, faster, more comfortable in icy conditions and with my Scott Missions I feel no particular disadvantage in powder (and I used to use a 180 Rad Air Tanker board which floated reasonably well).

With boarding it certainly used to be easier to reach an intermediate level for energetic learners but I would have thought skiing would be not too bad with modern short skis.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nessy wrote:
As a recent returnee to skiing (after 10 years of boarding) I can say that skiing is physically easier, less faff on lifts, faster, more comfortable in icy conditions and with my Scott Missions I feel no particular disadvantage in powder (and I used to use a 180 Rad Air Tanker board which floated reasonably well).

With boarding it certainly used to be easier to reach an intermediate level for energetic learners but I would have thought skiing would be not too bad with modern short skis.

Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

If he takes up boarding, within days he can be sideslipping down the hill, looking atleast halfcool and in control.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Now we understand why skiers "hate" boarders. Mediocra boarders, that is. Smile

Besides, sideslipping down the piste is about as much fun as snowshoeing in a golf course! You get tired fast but don't seem to be getting anywhere.

As for the body repair part, learning to board will be more brutal to the body than learning to ski. Over the long term, I think both skier and boarder will fall and accumulate minor injuries. But the skier will spread out the falls over time. Boarders get through ALL those falls in their first week!!! (Though that's an arguement FOR boarding. Take the punishment NOW while you still can... Very Happy)

BTW, some people here makes it sound like it's an either/or situation. It's not. You can ski for a few years and then learn to board or vice versa. You're not starting from the begining when you switch. Having done one shortens the learning curve considerably. You'll find that out when you take skiing lesson with your mate who boarded for years. You're going to hate him because he'll pick it up SO MUCH faster than you can no matter how fit & coordinated you think you are. Shocked

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Mon 31-12-07 16:58; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
tubbs wrote:
Is it worth going to somewhere like Xscape @ milton keynes and getting half a day instruction on each?

I did just that. I now ski but can also snowboard. They're totally different in concept of how you 'see the mountain'. It's like the difference between riding a bike and skate-boarding. Both are good but you have to try both to see that you prefer.

Snowboarding is more fun, in a mucking-around-in-the-snow kind of way and quicker to learn. Skiing however is more challenging but you can do more with it once you've got the hang of it. It's easy to look good on a snowboard but people know you must be really good if you look good on skis!

Snowboarding is less fun if there are lots of flat sections to get across or if it's icy. However, it's better if you like nose-diving into the snow... Laughing snowHead
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:
If he takes up boarding, within days he can be sideslipping down the hill, looking atleast halfcool and in control.

Well apart from the fact that a boarder sideslipping down a slope just says to me that they can't board (and looks about as far from "halfcool" as a basball cap worn sideways) I would suggest trying both and concentrate on having "FUN" rather than how "cool" it may or may not look.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Well thanks for all your comments TBH it seems clear both have their pros & cons - maybe I am lucky enough to have the problem as to which to do - I plan to spend at least 4 - 6 weeks in CA each year let alone European resorts so I should be able to pick up both in time.

Age is hardly a factor IMO so I will ignore those comments - but thanks for them anyway! I will try not to dress like an 18 year old Whitegold, but I will never be a loser!

Anyway thanks to you all for making the effort to reply - all very useful.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Interesting to note not a lot of the obvious skiier's have bothered to reply, seems very much from my readings that Boarders are quickly jumping on to promote it.

That aside, I chose skiing when I started - no idea why - perhaps I didn't know much about it and didn't like the similarity to skateboarding (yes I know they're not the same but they're both 1 board).
My girlfriend wants to try Boarding - thats fine, happy for her to - personally, the better I get at skiing, and the more I conversely enjoy it, the less appeal Boarding has to me. Right now, I've little desire to do it - but I'll try it at some point.
Reason being, I started skiing, enjoy it, and don't want to spend my time as a beginner again. (my 1 ski trip a year is precious!).

If you've time to do both, definately do - in some ways wish I had, but I'm happy skiing - so not really bothered. You'll soon learn which you think you'll enjoy more, forgetting all the pros and cons for either - its irrelavent, its whatever you enjoy that counts.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

Interesting to note not a lot of the obvious skiier's have bothered to reply, seems very much from my readings that Boarders are quickly jumping on to promote it.

Let's face it. As much fun skiing is, learning takes a while and we all know people who gave up after a couple days (or even a couple of YEARS!) struggling on skis.

Boarders, on the other hand, don't have that perception. They either know people who board, or people who never tried. Boarding is still a relatively young sport... And when you look at a REALLY good boarder, you know he's having fun, AND you have to admit he look REALLY COOL!

I bet a large number of skiers are secretly wondering maybe they ought to try boarding!!! Very Happy

(I know I did. And I tried. I can now say I made an informed decision to stay with skiing. But I would encourage a new learner to try BOTH to decide for himself.)
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tubbs wrote:
My boarding mate is interested to learn to ski - I think he will be doing some lessons at Crabbe before we go.

Convince yor mate not to have too many ski lessons, and learn to ski together. It's much more fun having mates who are a similar level to yourself, and you cna laugh at each others wipe outs. If you go with boarding, he'll be doing all the laughing wink
snow conditions
Elizabeth B wrote:
tubbs wrote:
My boarding mate is interested to learn to ski - I think he will be doing some lessons at Crabbe before we go.

Convince yor mate not to have too many ski lessons, and learn to ski together. It's much more fun having mates who are a similar level to yourself, and you cna laugh at each others wipe outs. If you go with boarding, he'll be doing all the laughing wink

Don't think so. An experienced boarder will still have a huge advantage when learning to ski. tubbs will still be the only one who's falling constantly while his mate having all the laugh. Worse, he lose his excuse of being the ONLY beginer...Sad

In fact, it's quite easy to learn to ski once you've boarded extensively. You would simply use the one edge of the ski each time: the inside edge of your outside leg in the turn...PERFECT! How many skiers spend years yet still not getting that part rigth?

Having gone from skiing to boarding briefly, I was forced to deal with having only one edge instead of two. That helped me focus on how the whole idea of "edgy" planks work on snow, by it one plank or two. Without the distraction of two planks and two poles, one either learn or fall. No crutches, no false balance by standing on the inside leg... Wink

Coming back to skis, I found liberation! Haven gotten a better "feel" for balancing on one single edge using only body positioning, it's so much more powerful to now have TWO edges!
ski holidays
tubbs, at some point I'd definitely make sure you've tried both.
I spent my first 3 years on skis then tried boarding and have spent the next 3 yrs boarding.
I like the idea of being able to swap between the 2 if/when I choose.
I'm far from an expert at either, but DO have fun doing both.
One piece of advice though, do spend a significant time focussed on one before switching.
Had a boarding "taster" session during my 3rd ski trip and this put me right off the idea. A 3 hour lesson at MK snowdome changed that.

Whichever you do make sure you have fun, and good luck.
snow conditions
Because it's so much easier to board the offpiste (the board is a better tool for this) that 0.5 metre of fresh is often tracked out in a lift run or two. My best days on the mountain are when I've earned my turns, when I've reached a peak without just using lifts and then ridden down through various conditions (inc fresh powder). For this I use a pair of planks.
snow report
JonO_1001, what you said.
ski holidays
tubbs, do what your friends are going to do.
latest report
fads come and go, skiing lives forever Smile
snow report
tubbs, I learned to ski at the age of 46, so it's never too late to learn. Last year I tried boarding for the first time, but I really dislike being sideways on to where I'm going and particularly dislike all the fiddling with bindings, bouncing around to try and get started etc. I suspect that gets better when you get better at boarding, but for me skiing has been the way!
snow report
Hmm its a hard one. I can both ski and board but prefer to ski. I spend most of my free time wakeboarding (yes even in the winter, was out yesterday) but even though I really love board sports I'm not a big fan of snowboarding unless its deep off piste powder.

I'd say skiing is easier and less tiring. Keeping a snowboard on its edge all day is seriously hard work and i find when forced to do it I end up knackered and catching an edge. When tired on skis I can just slump forward in my boots and let gravity do its job.
ski holidays
JonO_1001, It's a bit like deciding whether to be str8, gay or bi. Skiing, obviously, is the str8 option wink
ski holidays
red 27, Laughing Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
red 27, Well I suppose boarders are better looking and more stylish! NehNeh
snow conditions
saxabar, Only to other boarders!
snow report
saxabar wrote:
red 27, Well I suppose boarders are better looking and more stylish! NehNeh

Puzzled Many female skiers look sexy, female boarders often look like blokes.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abc wrote:

In fact, it's quite easy to learn to ski once you've boarded extensively. You would simply use the one edge of the ski each time: the inside edge of your outside leg in the turn...PERFECT! How many skiers spend years yet still not getting that part rigth?

Yes I also found when coming back to skiing I was much better than before. I just treat the outside ski as a snowboard Smile The carving I learned on a board just happens on skis as well.
ski holidays
DB, It's what's underneath that counts wink
snow conditions
Quote:

It's what's underneath that counts

Yes..SNOW! Smile
ski holidays
red 27, Hmm ... so I started str8, tried gay, and now I guess I'm bi ... maybe it's just a mid-life crisis!
Wink
snow report
JonO_1001, you're not the first to switch to switch buses mid-journey Jono - are you Elton John in disguise? - or maybe a Tory MP? I guess I left out Telemark-ers - I think they're Necrophiliacs Twisted Evil
ski holidays
No sorry ski wings are the gay option

http://www.skiwings.com
snow report
tubbs wrote:
Age is hardly a factor IMO so I will ignore those comments - but thanks for them anyway! I will try not to dress like an 18 year old Whitegold, but I will never be a loser!

Age is a huge factor.

At 37, knocking on 40, your abililty to learn a new sport is vastly impaired.

You are not a teenager anymore, even if you feel like one.
snow report
Cor blimey Whitegold, you've got a degree in negativity haven't you?! Age only becomes a barrier if you let it. If people without all their limbs can learn to ski then I'm damn sure a 37 year old can learn to board!
snow report
Whitegold wrote,
Quote:

You wouldn't see James Bond on a board. It's got to be skis for the more mature man.
latest report
Tim Sawyer wrote:
Whitegold wrote,
Quote:

You wouldn't see James Bond on a board. It's got to be skis for the more mature man.

Yeah, but JB learnt to ski when he was young.

Old men who start skiing late just look sad, with skis, poles and arms flying everywhere as they try to plow down the hill toward loserville.
snow conditions
Whitegold, You have an unhealthy obsession with what other people look like! I would imagine a psychotherapist would have a field day with you! Smile
ski holidays
Tell you what Whitegold - once I have been I will post an honest opinion of how I get on, looks like skiing will be the priority to try first.

You are wildly generalizing but thats OK, this is a forum after all and you are entitled to your opinion.

Luckily enough I don't give a toss what anybody thinks of me, if I need to learn something it all comes down to application - I might look stupid to start with but hey it is the end result that matters. I instruct people of all ages in another sport and age generally is irrelevant - listening tends to be very important, I have seen "impaired" 20 year olds as well as "impaired" 40 year olds - the ones who improve the best comes down to listening and practice ultimately - sure natural ability can be a massive help but give me a person who wants to succeed any day, you will get the most from them, which also means they enjoy it!

And as for not being a teenager anymore - GOOD! I was unfit and skint!!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy