Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Marginal amount of free play in heel binding plate - normal?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
OK, they are (as you all know wink ) Elan Wave Magic (160cm) fitted with Elan ELW 9 fusion binding. I've got the skis out to go and be waxed tomorrow and I've just noticed that there is a marginal amount of free play in the heel binding plate - you can pick hold of the black plastic plate and it wobbles slightly - up and down and side to side - the skis have been used once - is a small amount of movement in the binding plate normal?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, the plate should be screwed tight to the ski. If they were mine I'd remove the screws & clean off any hard glue then re-glue/re-seat them to the correct 4.5Nm torque. I'd suggest getting the tech to do it while they're being serviced. I'd also get them to ensure that there's no raised lip around the screw holes that's lifting the mounting plate off the ski.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
spyderjon, Thanks so much for getting back to me tonight, with that advice I'll certainly point it out to the Skee Tex chaps when I drop the skis in for their wax tomorrow and ask them to sort it - they claim to be Elan dealers and to have this half decent Wintersteiger approved (the Wintersteiger web site implies that means they're the mutts nuts) workshop so we'll put them to the test. The movement is not in the thin metal plate which is (visually at least) in direct contact with the ski, but is in the black plastic plate that sits above it - there is movement on both skis though slightly worse on one of them.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
spyderjon, I've got this years model, they are an integrated binding so does the above apply as they are not on a plate?

Megamum, maybe email Gavin at GBR sports www.gbrsports.co.uk and ask him if this is normal if the fab spyderjon can't confirm.

I'll keep an eye on mine........... 3 sleeps.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
minx, Yes, the web site shows that the binding sits into the body of the ski - that part of the assembly - the metal part as noted above seems fine. If you've got some the movement I have is in that big black plastic chunk that forms the majority of the heel binding and sits directly above the shiney metal plate and has the words 'Fusion - true integration' printed on it
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Megamum, I've just been and wiggled mine, brand new never skied on. If I grab the very back of the binding it wiggles about 1mm either way. They are on a sort of rail which is embedded in the skis so would think this amount of movement is ok. But get the tech to check yours tomorrow.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
The bindings as fitted are the rebadged Tyrolias and mount on a rail intergrated into the ski. Megamum, Mount your boot in the binding and check again, I doubt there will be any movement. Mine wobble abount until the boot is in place.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
minx, Yes, that's the movement I'm on about - as I said its only a marginal movement - reassuring that two different sets do it though I think. I did wonder if it was due to the link-up on the slot together mechanism - I'll ask the tech tomorrow, and try to remember to report back so that you know for your pair on your trip. I'm off to bed now, but thanks for hanging round to pass comments on tonight
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dypcdiver, minx, Hi both - Don't know why I missed the post about the boot in place, but thanks for the info - I will check when I get them back - as we are assuming the ski tech has indeed confirmed that this degreee of movement is indeed normal for this sort of binding - thanks everyone.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks Megamum for the reassurance that it is normal.

2 sleeps Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
minx, Have fun when you go and enjoy your skis Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy