Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Have you got equipment that's 'too good' for you?

Poster: A snowHead
It's purely a hunch this, but I reckon plenty of us must have gear that frankly is a little too much ski and boot for our abilities. Now clearly this can't apply to all of us and I know there are some very experienced skiers (sorry, that should be 'riders' these days, shouldn't it?) out there who definitley need those 'mega carve burners' allied to the 'stiff as f**k' clogs to speed down the blues but for a lot of us I reckon my hunch is correct.

The heart of this, I suppose, is perhaps a frank unwillingness to admit our fallibilities and limitations to, firstly, the salesperson in the shop when purchasing said 'mega carve burners' and, secondly, mild delusions of grandeur when we hit the piste and sadly discover that just like last year, we're still traversing the bumps field stiffer than a poker on a freezing day! We then blame the equipment, or the hangover, or the piste-basher, or the salesperson in the shop....but not ourselves!

Now can I admit to having gear that's too good for me? No way! Admittedly the items are about 15 years old now (in fact the jacket-a Nevica-dates from 1986!) so I have a technical kop-out!

What do you reckon? Are there 'punters' out there who cannot even flex their Doberman boots because they've only skied for 10 weeks?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, just spend £400 on wifes coat. Looks great but will she sweat enough to make use of the gortex xtr no way could she get a coat that kept her warm and dry for cheaper yes no problem but its not all about function theres fashion and looks as well. Everything I buy can do far more than my skill level from cars to boats to skis. The sad part is sometimes one may buy things that are so good they only work well in the hands of an expert and are just not suitable for beginners.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't ski to my equipments limits, I get close though, but I see plenty of people with gear so far above their ability, that it's actually hampering them. They would ski much better on gear aimed at their limited skill levels, rather than in Boots they can't flex and Skis they can't turn. Sure by kit that you can progress into, but be in the target audience when you buy it.
Stormriders rock.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kevin mcclean, it must be winter Very Happy Welcome back wink Laughing
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

What do you reckon? Are there 'punters' out there who cannot even flex their Doberman boots because they've only skied for 10 weeks?

I'm sure there are.

But I also reckon there're many skiers who's been skiing for 10 years and still using their 10 year old equipement. Granted, a few of them didn't improve much during the 10 years period and their equipment may still be "too much" for them. But others might already out-grown their gear without even realizing it.

What's the point anyway? Use what you got and get what you need. Why worry about what other got and what others are (in)capable of?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kevin mcclean, jealous Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kevin mcclean, you see it all the time! I had my doubts on purchasing my new salomon boots but if you are willing to put the power into them and ski aggressivley then they reward you and 9 times out of 10 i can do that-i only think they will benefit whatever progress i have to make. I did see a guy at the snowdome a couple motnhs ago who truly had "all the gear and no idea"-capped by watching him fail miserably to impress those peering through the glass.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Totally agree kevin mcclean,

When I bought my boots, I was sold a pair which were above my ability and thus harder. The reason was that I'd only been skiing a single week of my life (Val D, Feb 2005) and so I could 'grow into them' and the boots (Edge 9.8s) would not have to be thrown away as quickly due to me progressing to a level beyond what they'd been designed for. They also fit the best out of all the ones I tried. Though heel lift needs to be sorted...

I decided to get my own skis too. Aztecs, but not the Pros like Sharkymark has. One of the reasons for this ski was that they are less popular in europe, another was the cool design, another was the length was ideal, another was that the single review was a good one and that they were an easy ski to get on with and another was that I thought it would be nice to have a matching ski and pole combination. (Scott RS10 poles). Some sensible reasons, (such as size and ability of skier) and other less important reasons.

Have to say, I feel my skiing's improved over the last two trips but my skis will stay with me so long as their life permits and I'm not in a rush to replace them.

The clothes, well they will remain until they get damaged too - Salopettes will probably be replaced first. WRT clothing, how somewhere like S+R or EB can justify selling at prices of £400+ for the majority of their jackets, I have no idea. Thankfully there's a Tog24 outlet store in Brighton Marina which has some great stuff in and doesn't cost one's disposable income for 2 months.

I don't know many people in the ski world, but I think a lot of people can just get gear for the sake of having it.

My Tuppence. Smile snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmm, I just bought a pair of Dobermann boots.

Principally because the colour matches my skis and, maybe more importantly, they arrived in their own special carry case.

How cool is that?

Do you reckon I fit the description?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
David Murdoch, Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
When I decided to get boots I went to my local store and they sold me ladies Head Edge 8.8's same reason as Mr.Si, above, I was told that the cheaper boots would be something I would easily out ski and that this pair would take me further without needing replacement. They also fitted best out of those they recommended for me - though I also needed the heels lifted to make them fit round the calf. I reckon the boots are about right for me at my level.

My skis Elan's Wave Magics are probably beyond my abilities. I bought them 'cos they were cheap and 'cos folks here said that they were sufficiently easy to turn and forgiving that I could probably get on with them. They are also not over long I doubt I will ever need another pair though as I doubt I will ever outgrow them. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
David Murdoch wrote:

Principally because the colour matches my skis and, maybe more importantly, they arrived in their own special carry case.

How cool is that?

I suppose I should fess up to a new race helmet, bought because it came with a very lovely barbie-like travel case. I'm nowhere near good enough to crash in it, so I confess that the helmet is too good for me.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar wrote:
I'm nowhere near good enough to crash in it

Laughing

I've been looking at some damn cheap, but undoubtedly above my ability, 2 year old FIS standard, WC finish Atomic SL or GS skis. Now, they would be a bit of extra ski for my ability...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I suppose we could reasonably ask how many of us have any excess of equipment, superflous to what we really need? I have three pairs of skis (Atomic Arc 203cm, Rossignol Open XP11 for off piste and the first Salomon monocoque circa 1990) but I only use one pair. Why don't I just consign two of the other pairs to the dustin? But this is hard to do.......
snow conditions
kevin mcclean, excess or obsolete? I have more skis than I have feet, but I use all of them at some point during a season.
ski holidays
Oi, don't be ageist against me skis! They still work wonderfully, thank you very much!
snow report
kevin mcclean, Laughing
snow report
kevin mcclean, 100% agree yes and I am walking proof. Everything probably that I have bought / been sold except my first pair of boots are and have been a million miles above my ability level. I'm confident that if I had managed to spend the amount of time on snow that I hoped I was going to / hoped I would then I would have been fine. Now does anyone want to buy my kit!?!? any reasonable offers will be strongly considered .... snowHead

I think you can excuse ott purchases on things like jackets and goggles as that's acceptable under the fashion delusion category though ...
snow conditions
kevin mcclean, I have more ski's than I have the luxury to use properly rather than ski's that are beyond my capabilities. Skiing holidays take time and cost plenty and in a modern lifestyle it is hard to push more than 3 weeks skiing out of a year.
latest report
Kevin McLean, I would also submit that there are many folks out there who would benefit hugely from a kit upgrade. I know a few...

In my own case, I know I have a slightly "odd" and unfashionable taste in skis and boots. I don't much care what anyone thinks ....

They're just what I like...
ski holidays
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
David Murdoch wrote:

How cool is that?

I suppose I should fess up to a new race helmet, bought because it came with a very lovely barbie-like travel case. I'm nowhere near good enough to crash in it, so I confess that the helmet is too good for me.

You didn't want the helmet really, you just wanted the Case for your Make-Up wink
You are right of course, you're never going to be skiing fast enough to need that Helmet. Laughing
ski holidays
Hmmm, well when it comes to ski gear I just want stuff that fits, and does the job! Admittedly my new jacket was a bit eyewateringly expensive, but it really did the job the first time I wore it. Warm, dry, didn't get sweaty and withstood a howling gale at the top of Val Thorens. It's made by Tsunami, a make I'd never heard of before.

As for boots - they just need to fit and not leak hehe!

My skis are Head C140s, and they do me just fine, I don't think they're designed for experts (which I'm not!).
latest report
Picadilly, I have Head C140s too. And they are far too good for me. But I think they are a beginner ski. Might even be a punter ski. I aspire to punter status.

snowHead
ski holidays
skisimon wrote:
rob@rar wrote:
I'm nowhere near good enough to crash in it

Laughing

I've been looking at some damn cheap, but undoubtedly above my ability, 2 year old FIS standard, WC finish Atomic SL or GS skis. Now, they would be a bit of extra ski for my ability...

I got some Race dept SL11s for my recent slalom course. I may have been good enough for them eventually if we'd had more time on hard pistes, but they were clearly way too good for me in softer snow. In particular that wickedly stiff tail. That week included the two most humiliating days I've ever had on skis.
snow report
My skis are way too good for me - Volkl Racetiger SL Race. I'm not a racer, although trying to learn the technique. However they do give me confidence and that has helped my skiing to move on to a new level. So, yes, they are above my ability, but on the other hand they have allowed me to push that ability forward. I doubt I'll ever out-ski them! Wouldn't use them in powder unless I had to though!

My clothes were expensive (Killy/E&O), but being a size 6 limits availability very severely and only the very expensive brands do this size (Killy, Prada, Stella MaCartney).

My boots are about right for my level (Salomon Rush Cool, and my gloves are Hestra Army leather gloves and very good indeed - probably too good for me, but what price warm hands?
latest report
kevin mcclean wrote:
I suppose we could reasonably ask how many of us have any excess of equipment, superflous to what we really need? I have three pairs of skis (Atomic Arc 203cm, Rossignol Open XP11 for off piste and the first Salomon monocoque circa 1990) but I only use one pair. Why don't I just consign two of the other pairs to the dustin? But this is hard to do.......

One way to NOT accumulate TOO MANY gear is to buy the best! Otherwise, you end up keep buying the next level up as you progress.

That's why at some point you HAVE TO have equipement that are "too good for you", until you progress to be good enough, that is.

Double edge of a sword?Wink
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In the olden days, many years ago when I skied on pistes I had race skis. MyScott Missions, bought last season, are perhaps a bit soft in some circumstances, since I am a rather agressive skier, but in general I like them. My boots have become rather soft due to extreme age, but I can't be bothered to change them - though I'll have to soon as they are starting to break up. Skiing steeps off piste I like quite a lot of flex anyway.
I used to have two pairs of skis but I found I skied the same ones all the time.
snow conditions
kevin mcclean, But darling , you look so 'cool' with your legs-locked-together in that terribly quaint way. Of Course as the harbinger of all knowledge you know what is good for us .... wink

How can any professional 'accurately' advise on what we should do? Our self-estimation is normally to exaggerate so you would have us believe ..... but I've recently skied with someone who says he's crap ... but isn't. How do they really know? How do we really know what our level/ability/capability is ?

It's an intangible .... I'm quite prepared to matchh my 'real' ability to equipment and upgrade as-and-when I become 'non beginnner/piste-liability' ..... but respect those who aim higher and strive to grow their abilities into their equipment ... sound economic decision.

Now , where should I buy those Atomic GS / Hard-as-nails-me skis for an incompetent beginner?

Twisted Evil
snow report
Agenterre, I think you know where. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Not currently, but a fair few years ago, when I was a lower intermediate skier, I was persuaded to buy a second hand pair of Kastle super G skis length 208 with marker 46 bindings. These were very stiff and very long with race bindings.

To make matters worse practically the first run I did in them was the Canalone in Madesimo, a 5 kilometre unpisted monster that was a mix of steep powder moguls and crust. Perfected my turn in blind panic then recover before hurtling down the mountain technique.
ski holidays
Slalom gear that doesnt do what it is supposed to do.

Shin guards that never hit any poles wink

An expensive race helmet that is always hitting poles

GrahamN,
Quote:

That week included the two most humiliating days I've ever had on skis.

You didnt mention your short excursion on the Icelandic's Laughing
snow report
skimottaret,
Quote:
An expensive race helmet that is always hitting poles

Your Head has obviously shrunk down enough for it to fit now then? wink

How's the Barbie Make-up bag? Laughing
ski holidays
Spyderman, healed up remarkably well thanks and my eyebrow has gown back, make up bag is still in the garage but i do use the carrier sack
snow conditions
Guilty of this myself. Bought a pair of skis way above my ability because they were a bargain. They're stiff in the tail but I manage OK with them pootling down the piste although I kinda regret buying them.
snow report
My first skis were Head C140s and they were spot on for the first 6 weeks. After that I bought a pair of Head iC300s and they were a real handful the first morning I tried them but I soon got the hang of them. I'm still nowhere near being good enough to out-ski them though. Last week I got to use my new K2 Recons and I love them. I thought I might find them a bit tricky at first (going from 170s to 181s) but they were a delight to use. So much so that I may have to let the Heads go to a new home.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy