Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Are the Tarentaise resorts 'overcooked'?

Poster: A snowHead
The 'white gold' resorts of the Tarentaise are simply horrible, aren't they? Much of the piste skiing is bland (one only has to go to Tignes, La Plagne and Meribel to see this) and the resort developments are simply vile. It's no good arguing that there are exceptions to this because the generality applies. Why go to Belle Plagne or St Martin de Belleville in a pathetic attempt to appease yourself you're going somewhere nice when they're actually part of the sprawling Leviathans that are these ski areas?

Am I the only one who thought the addition of yet another 'Arc' (1950) was a cause for sadness? Is it really worth all the hassle to install a cable car that bridges Les Arcs and La Plagne? When you get to these places they're so amorphorous and sickly that it induces one to vomit.

I last went to such a place in 2004 (Val D'Isere) and was saddened to see the town strewn with drunks (all English and moneyed) and much of the Gallic influences extirpated. I suppose these places get the tourists they deserve.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sat 29-12-07 14:16; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
so you did'nt like it then ?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kevin mcclean, Yo ho ho and a merry Xmas to you Laughing Laughing

I like mileage so more links and bigger areas the better.... NehNeh NehNeh Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

they're actually part of the sprawling Leviathan's
the sprawling Leviathon's what? Armpit?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kevin mcclean, what did you get for christmas? Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Rossfra8, Don't think Santa Claus stopped at his house...... wink Twisted Evil
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kevin mcclean,
Quote:
I last went to such a place in 2004 (Val D'Isere) and was saddened to see the town strewn with drunks (all English and moneyed) and much of the Gallic influences extirpated. I suppose these places get the tourists they deserve.

Did they all come from Old Windsor? Shocked
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kevin mcclean, quite agree with you Kevin, I'll never go back to those ghastly holes. Ugly architecture, samey-skiing, staffed by morons, and the whole area strangely lacking in real Alpine granduer.

Gives us a few of your favourites by way of comparison
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
kevin mcclean, yep, I reckon they're over-hyped, overcrowded at the key times and staggeringly ugly (Les Menures must be worst of the lot). Sure, theres a ton of terrain but much of it very samey so why the absurd preoccupation many have with mileage? Decent accommodation is maxed-out on price, service indifferent, chalet food gopping. You're more likely to get your skis nicked, you'll pay way over the odds for instruction and be kept awake by screaming, puking floppy-haired idiots called Toby and Henry. I just don't get why folks flock to these places in such sheep-like fashion - they're almost begging to be ripped off, and invariably they are. Pound for pound Austria and Switzerland simply do it better.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
kevin mcclean, Totally agree best avoided just like those telepeage things, Toofy Grin every little helps to keep those lovely pistes empty Twisted Evil
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Where's Whitegold to give this thread a bit of balance Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The other problem with the likes of Val is that the tour operators take over hotels and staff them with stupid, provincial dimwits. When I stay in a hotel in the Alps, I want it to be staffed by mature, knowledgeable locals, not a bunch gap year tw@ts. The up shot of this is that we now have a thing called a chalet-hotel, just so just so the likes of Kevin and Donna, from the midlands, can have Wednesday off. Donna, of course, is a pox ridden whore, while Kev gets a bit punchy once he's had a couple of beers.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
PJSki, lol
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
All this only (to some degree) applies if you are an on piste skier. The area has a large proportion of the best off-piste in the world.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Great topic. If you want more from a winter holiday than skiing, I would tend to agree (although I haven't been to la plagne). But many of these resorts were purpose built generating new capacity leaving more spaces in other resorts for the rest of us. So I guess everyone is a winner. Cool
ski holidays
kevin mcclean,

Ok in fairness I will admit to one thing. Aime 2000 in La Plagne is the ugliest place/building in the world. How, what, why was it allowed to be built Shocked Shocked

http://www.aime2000.com/
snow report
kevin mcclean, But you did like La Rosiere, and that is in the Tarentaise Very Happy snowHead
latest report
Frosty the Snowman, He said 'white gold' not 'muddy brown' Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
gwaelod, http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=14990 was kevin mcclean's, report, if you are interested. snowHead
ski holidays
La Rosiere is not a white gold resort but now that's it's owned by Val D'isere it will surely be.......
latest report
kevin mcclean, actually, it's Val d'Isere not Val D'isere. Very Happy
snow report
PJSki, rolling eyes
snow report
While there is much to criticise about Les Arcs the piste skiing here is second to none. Anyone who thinks different has either never been here or isn't good enough to try everything that's available.
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, wink Laughing

A friend is arriving there next weekend, she is a very expereinced skier and is only venturing back to ski in Europe as she is going with her new partner and his kids. Will be interested in her opinion of La Ros snowHead
ski holidays
rob@rar, it's good as far as the Tarentaise goes (is that what you meant?), but second to none is stretching it a bit. Although you are advertising a chalet for rent I suppose. rolling eyes
snow report
PJSki, what do other resorts have which Les Arcs doesn't as far as piste skiing is concerned?
snow conditions
rob@rar et all, Even I would disagree that that Espce Killy and Paradiski have dull piste skiing. They have, along with the neighboring 3 valleys, been a huge success due to the quality of the skiing. If sold on skiig alone, they would have few equals.

gwaelod, Tell her to hire a guide or tag along with an off piste group. I am sure BernardC would have some names to ask for.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 29-12-07 17:17; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
rob@rar, Very restrained not commenting on his rolling eyes Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, you tell me. You're the one making the sweeping statement, not me. Time for you to justify your 'second to none' statement of 'fact'. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
gwaelod wrote:
rob@rar, Very restrained not commenting on his rolling eyes Laughing

If anyone thinks I'm pimping the resort beyond what it offers because I occasionally rent my apartment they should look at my posting record here. As PJSki is a relative newby I don't mind him thinking I'm simply here to sell. I'd be a bit concerned if someone who knew me rather better than that thought I was lying about the range of skiing here in order to gain commercial advantage.

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 29-12-07 17:24; edited 1 time in total
latest report
PJSki, It would be easier for you to mention somewhere with better pistes than Les Arcs.
snow report
PJSki wrote:
rob@rar, you tell me. You're the one making the sweeping statement, not me. Time for you to justify your 'second to none' statement of 'fact'. Toofy Grin

Laughing
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman, Whistler, in my opinion, has better pistes.
ski holidays
PJSki wrote:
Frosty the Snowman, Whistler, in my opinion, has better pistes.

What makes them better?
latest report
rob@rar, wasn't commenting honest guv, just impressed at your restraint at his obvious dig.

2 years ago when staying In La Plagne side we met in our chalet a very nice Aussie (I emphasise the nice as there are so few nice Aussies Laughing ). He is a very, very experienced skier and was over here for 3 weeks with his wife and son.

Was speaking to him on Skype Xmas day and he still raves about Les Arcs. He ranks it in his top 2 European ski resorts. He is thinking about coming back in 2008/2009. This season they are doing Japan. I was telling him about the Vanoise being shut and he wasn't concerned as he reckoned he could do a month in Les Arcs without getting bored.
snow conditions
I've only ever been to Val d'Isere; but haveing just come back from Zermatt, VdI's pistes would come a poor third in a two-horse race imho. PS .. there are drunken Brits everywhere ... the Tarentaise isn't unique in that respect.
ski holidays
rob@rar, in my opinion, they groom more, the terrain parks are better and the tree skiing nicer. Also, it's been a while since I've been to Les Arcs, but I don't remember any patrolled and protected trails through wooded areas that had had the trees thinned and dangers marked, like you have in Whistler.
latest report
Agenterre, But you are a much better skier now, and that will influence your enjoyment.
latest report
Agenterre, welcome back from Zermatt. PJSki, can't agree with you there, sorry and I am not a regular Tarentaise visitor myself any more. Of La Plagne, La Rosiere, and Les Arcs, I much preferred the Les Arcs skiing, and would love to go back again in better conditions (it was early April and not a good snow year).
snow conditions
Helen Beaumont, I did say it was good piste skiing as fair the Tarentaise goes. But best in the world? Bollox, in my opinion Toofy Grin
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy