Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Just made some home-made volume reducers for my boots

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Following on from a previous thread CEM suggested that I could cut some liners for my boot shell to try and reduce some of the excess volume in them. I made some cardboard templates this morning and DH went shopping to try and find some suitable material for me to make them from. Poundstretchers came up with a £1 doormat with a rubberised backing.

The goat foot shears did a splendid job at cutting the stuff and I've currently put two layers below the boot liner. I tried the mat backing side upwards first, but the rubbery backing didn't let the liner slip back in so I turned them carpet side up. I buckled the boots up tight and wore them for 1/2 hr and they certainly felt more snug. I can still wiggle my toes but there is not so much heel movement up and down. After 1/2 hr they were getting tight across the arch of the foot, but that could be because I had buckled tight and wasn't moving round in them, but there is plenty of adjustment looser if I need it.

Unless anyone can think of a good reason why a rubberised backed doormat with a thin fibery top surface might not be a good idea I think I'll leave them in and try them, I can always take a layer out if I've overdone things.

Any comments?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 28-12-07 21:54; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Megamum, very impressed-hope it works well for you-if it does i cannot see any reason why you should not leave them. You dont have to tell anyone you have doormatt in your ski boots!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Megamum, it should be finr, but I would have probably used some sticky-backed chiropodists felt myself, or some thick insoles.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
it's not everybody who has a pair of goat foot shears about the place.... snowHead
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Helen Beaumont, I looked at using insoles, but was surprised at how large they needed to be to fit the base of the boot - esp. across the width.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ooooh this'll have the emails flying between Bicester and Chamonix... can this be allowed to happen? Has Megamum accidently stumbled upon their big secret?

Megamum, if it works for you then great. I used to use carpet tiles (cut out of course... and without the goat).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, Good luck snowHead after this season I'm getting new boots Very Happy I may even get them 1/2 a mondo point smaller than the ones I have now Little Angel
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Megamum, Is this liek your Xmas present to the board! I await the maelstrom!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Bode Swiller, I doubt it, i've been following her bootfitting story with some interest, how many days skiing for a beginner did it take to start going down the volume reducer path? Cool
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
SMALLZOOKEEPER, on the defensive? The game's up mate. We can all boot fit now thanks to Poundstretchers and our edible friends. Ha!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bode Swiller, "You blew the whistle in the blag, you slag." Rough Cockney type accent. Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, "You're only supposed to blow the bloody shell out" in a Michael Caine sorta voice...
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER, Bode Swiller, Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
SMALLZOOKEEPER, I've been reading and learning (I hope!!) Cool snowHead
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thought I'd see how the boots were today - still getting numb feet - so I took a layer out - I think its my very high instep that's the problem. Right one still better than without, but the left one is no back too loose - if I flex the foot the boot the heel was still lifting - so I've gut a heel shaped bit out and put it in the heel under the home made liner - will now trial to see if its any better - it has cured much of the heel lift, but I can now feel the boot against thetop of the arch of the foot. I will have to see whether I get numb feet again.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy