Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bulgaria?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I have been looking for cheap ski holidays and found that Bulgaria seemed to offer good value re lift passes and accomodation etc.

Bansko and Borovets are the ones I have been looking in to.

So, does anyone have experience of skiing in Bulgaria? Any recommendations?

Any help much appreciated!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes I've been to Borovets Embarassed

Advice - Dont go unless you have to Smile We did have a good week with 3 ft of powder falling on the first night and did pay £150 all in( half board Very Happy ,liftpass, airport suppliments, inc. insurance ) so worth it, otherwise I would pay that little bit extra and head elsewhere .
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agree with Bones. Went to Borovets once about 8 years ago. Cheap cheap cheap but awful awful awful. Maybe it's improved nowadays but, personally, I wouldn't take the chance. In the words of the Prophet...."You get what you pay for!"
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
look on first choice at mo good deals going snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Vixxy, I went to Borovets a few years ago (the rest of the family's first trip, so they wanted something cheap). The skiing is not the best, and it is fairly obvioys that you are in a developing country. But, if you're the right people it'll still be a hoot. Bansko is probably the choice of the Bulgarian resorts now.

My advice though would be (unless there's a lot of you, i.e. more than four) to book a last minute deal to a far better resort, for not much, a week or so before you leave.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Everyone to their own but we went to Borovets last year and are going again in just over a weeks time. We had a terrific time last season and are fully expecting to have an even better time this time around. The conditions are terrific at the moment, people are friendly and hospitable and it provides a good start for beginners / intermediates who want value for money whilst in the resort itself. If you want to conduct a bit more research then take a look at

http://www.skidvd.co.uk/
http://www.bulgariaski.com/

Both sites provide up to date information and views on skiing in Bulgaria.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We went to Bansko last year - and to say it is a building site is an understatement!!

The food was horrendous (hotel and restuarants)

It is as you say cheap though - and we used it to decide whether we would like a skiing holiday - we did - and this year have booked to go to France!

You get what you pay for!!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ClaireM, welcome to Snowheads, ClaireM. Glad you liked skiing despite the horrendous food. Hope you have a good holiday in France. snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Agree with everything said above.
Been to Bulgaria (Pamporovo) twice - would have no probs going again. Mainly suited to beginners/improvers. Have a couple of friends that rave about Borovets and are returning there again.
Skiing and hospitality good - food and nightlife downmarket.
Andorra is great value for money too AND the skiing is more extensive.
Some great last minute deals around at moment if you get in quick. I'm off next week to Rauris in Austria with a friend who hasn't skied before. So resort will be great for him but for me only one black run so might end up apres skiing a lot. But the deal - Half board in Alpenrose (2*) hotel, flights & transfers from Machester - only £197 !!! Ski pack for my learner friend £170 (I have my own stuff and don't need lessons!).
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would never ever goto Borovets again.

But would say its a "once in a life time experience". Just to realise how lucky we really are !

Some of the resort is really pretty and the locals were really friendly.

But watching the locals go through the rubbish tip (last weeks tourists rubbish) under the gondala on day one was just the first warning you were in a poor country with worse to come.

The food was horrible horrible horrible !!! After two evening meals we never ate in the "hotel" ever again ! even though we had paid for it ! The food in the restaurants in the main road was really cheep but so was the quality. But the staff were really friendly.

Two days the hotel water was dark brown and when we complained, we were told we get the best water and two days is not bad !!!! One day there was no electric for a few hours and "its usuall".

If the wind is up then the gondala is shut and cuts off half the resort !

Its truly a resort in a very poor land and whilst they give the tourists their utmost of effort and attention, you cant make a cake with rotten eggs and flour full of weavels can you ??

Like others have said maybe consider Andorra. Wont cost much more and a 2 star in Andorra will be much much much better than any 4 star in Borovets and the skiing area and resorts are fantastic !

Dont like to leave any negative comments about any holiday but think you should be warned of what to expect if youre planning to goto Borovets .. Pays your money.........
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Agree with all thats been said - Ski'd Borovets couple of years ago and loved it!
But (and theres lots of them), the food in the hotels isn't the best, the queues for beginners can be horrendous, the sex-industry is huge and very in your face, the hire equipment is poor quality.

Was very lucky - was in a great ski-group, we were out every night dancing, singing and drinking till the early hours - and still made ski-school on time! Aprés is VERY cheap. Found some very good places top eat for very little money. Most hotels are walkable to slopes (although, if it gets icy its a 'sport' in its own right!)

It is really a case of what you want from a holiday, and what you want to spend!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy