Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The Nordica NS 720 makes a return......

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
.........in an easyjet ad! Yes, those classic RE boots from 1984, forever consigned to the dustbin of skiing history, have made a return in Easyjet's latest campaign to get us to fly to the Alps (see the back of Ski and Board). Although I never saw them in offensive orange, it does take me back to the RE craze (I myself had a slightly more advanced pair of NS 850's with an extra couple of dials and so on) and how these sorts of boots were going to change the world-they didn't.

Now if you're still part of that rarer spotted species of RE boot user (as well as the powder tool that was the monoski) then be brave and come out-NOW!!!

We know who you are..........
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The most comfortable pair of boots I ever owned. They did not take off because of the marketing machine behind the racing fraternity. They were fantastically comfortable, could dance all night on tables with them!

Never good enough to ski a mono board however.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi Roy.

It's an interetsing point whether or not they did take off. I can remember the whole mountain, for a decade, being overwhelmed by these boots. In 1979 Salomon introduced the absolutely amazing SX90, a boot that was stiff but yet personnified simplicity. After this, Salomon led the way and the rest followed. But you are right in saying that they failed because 'serious' skiers didn't adopt them. Even so, David Goldsmith, from about 1980 onwards was probably correct in suggesting these sorts of boots were suitable for the vast majority of skiers, even very good ones.

Could they make a comeback?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kevin mcclean, Possibly as they were very very comfortable, and after all the majority of us out there do not ski in races and the extra performance that is gained by super hi tech boots would not be of benefit to recreational skiers. Comfort for me wins every time!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's surprising how important the 'macho' factor is in skiing. Let's face it, most keen and enthusiastic male skiers in the twenties are probably purchasing boots that are superfluous to their ability levels using carving skis that they cannot carve on. With this type of aggressive market, RE boots might struggle to make an impact because they are pereceived to be beginners boots.

Funny that. Ploughing through my old ski video archive I can recall Patrick Vallencant hammering down infeasibly steep slopes on a pair of SX 91 E's, Glen Plake, Hattrup and Schmidt carving up Chamonix on SX92's. Some beginners they were!

Comfort for me too is very important, even more so now when I'm more concerned about the quality of skiing these days rather than how many meaningless miles I can pack into a day. I'd certainy give them a go again.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Big cars, for small boys with small .......
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy