Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski-Boards or Ski-Blades

Poster: A snowHead
Looking to try out some ski-boards or ski-bades next week, (what ever you call them). Any advice on a rental pair?
Heading to Whistler/Blackomb December 30, 2007 to January 6, 2008.
Anyone out there know who rents them in Whistler Village?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What would possess you to use blades in Whistler at the moment, there's more snow than you could imagine (unless you were there last year). I suspect most of the usual places will have a snowblade option.

Having said that, I rented a pair for a day in Soldeu when it hadn't snowed for a while, good fun.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks for the reply. I am in Whistler every year and last year was great. I ski my own Atomic GS-9.21s on groomer days, and Head Monster 103s on big snow/mountain days.
I have seen, but not tried ski boards so I thought I would. The Whistler-Blackcomb web site does not list any for rent.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Here we go... Affinity Sports (bottom option on the drop down menu) is probably a good place to start. But also try Can-Ski and the others, as there is a good chance they'll have some too.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Gracias Senior, and "Howdy" from Austin, Texas
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Montyhh, try www.skiboards.com or www.skiboardsonline.com i think both of them offer a demo service for there boards
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Montyhh wrote:
Looking to try out some ski-boards or ski-bades next week, (what ever you call them). Any advice on a rental pair?

Is "Don't rent a pair" too cliche now? Anyway, don't. Why would you go to experience some of the most awesome terrain in BC and then strap on pretend skis?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
yawn, its kinda funny the attitude of some people here, they still think skiboards cant go in deep stuff. i wonder how many have actually used a pair of true skiboards.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
graeme, I've got some 120cm wide skiboards and they can go into powder but I look like that guy in the New Video from Rax thread (not very stylish, twitchy and nervous). In the same powder on my Apache Chiefs, I almost look as though I know what I'm doing.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
chris, and i have 110cm boards that are fantastic in powder, maybe its my skill level. do you have the spruce 120's?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
They make powder riding far more accessible to those who would'nt usually be able to do it so well Wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Cptsideways, but to ride skiboards well you have to have very good technique.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
graeme, I think the point I was trying to make is that skis are the way to go in powder. I am not biased, having around 12 weeks experience on s/boards (the same time off-piste on skis too). S/boards need steep angles to work well (they sink quickly when the slope flattens out) and they need speed to help turn. IMO powder is not as pleasant an experience on ski boards as skis. Have you tried skiing to the same level as you can s/board? If you have, I'll be surprised if you have come to a different conclusion to me.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chris, chris i have skiboarded for the last ten years, was a skier for the 5 years previous to that, basi qualified instructor. why are skis the way to go in powder? maybe your just not good enough to get the best from skiboards, what boards did you have? i have skied on and off piste on both skis and skiboards and prefer the fun factor of skiboards. i have no troubles at all riding any of my boards in powder. i started skiboarding because i was sick of skiing, it wasnt fun anymore. i was bored with teaching, sick of the basi structure. skiboards offered me something that i never got from skiing. a massive grin from ear to ear, and no it had nothing to do with technique. i had absolutely no problems attaining qualifications, i found that side extremely easy.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
graeme, I can't argue with that. You did ask if anyone had tried a pair of skiboards and I gave my opinion. Personally, I get a bigger grin from skiing in powder than skiboarding.
snow report
chris, please tell me what boards you have
snow report
graeme, I've sent you a PM.
snow report
Spot the odd one out:
190cm 130mm waisted conventional sidecut powder skis
185cm 138mm waisted reverse sidecut/camber skis
120cm 100mm skiboards.

I don't understand how you can be so deluded to think these three skis perform the same in powder.
ski holidays
DaveC, ok please show me where i said they perform the same, infact i can save you searching , i have never said that. all i have ever said is that some skiboards are fantastic in powder.
ski holidays
in the same way GS skis can be fantastic in powder, fair enough. Powder is pretty fantastic. Why you'd go to a michelin star restaurant and order beans on toast though, I've no idea Wink
ski holidays
but its all relative isnt it, my revel8 condors are your 185cm 138mm waisted reverse sidecut/camber skis. the difference is i dont come onto a thread knocking skis, wether in jest or not. to me its all about having fun sliding down a slope, end result should be the same, huge smiles
ski holidays
graeme, you just have to accept that some skiers are just hugely prejudiced against anyone who doesn't ride the same planks as they do. Give up. You probably are also cruel to dogs and children and don't care about your carbon footprint. wink I have some terrible old Salomon blades I use from time to time and on which my kids and their friends have had endless hours of fun, including off piste, through trees, through ditches, etc etc

We also have a pair of Decathlon 120 Wedze skis - I wonder sometimes how different the latest generation of skiboards would be. What would you suggest I try? Competent but unadventurous elderly skier and occasional incompetent snowboarder.
ski holidays
pam w, i doubt you would use non release, but if you would, i would happily let you use a pair of my boards. or i have a set of hag off limits/130's, fitted with releasable AT bindings.
ski holidays
graeme, I think you are making life too easy for yourself. Why not try out a Monoskiboard? wink
snow report
chris, hmmmmmmmm
ski holidays
Now, I've always wanted to try one of them. For some reason I have only ever seen someone on one whilst in France (are they outlawed elsewhere?)
latest report
pam w wrote:

We also have a pair of Decathlon 120 Wedze skis - I wonder sometimes how different the latest generation of skiboards would be. What would you suggest I try? Competent but unadventurous elderly skier and occasional incompetent snowboarder.

The basic Wed'ze is 127cm with an 80mm waist I think. They are not great in crud or crust but fun on spring snow and powder. Still lets face it, powder is the easiest snow to ski.
latest report
Quote:

pam w, i doubt you would use non release
our present snowblades (salomon and atomic) are all non-release, which is one reason I've been less keen to take them out the last couple of seasons, after skiing with a young French guy who had fractured his leg badly on them - he still uses blades, exclusively, but now has conventional bindings.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
well i have 2 sets of 110's, and a set of 130's, let me know if you ever want to try a set
snow conditions
My Head Big Easys (not sure if these are classed at skiboards or skiblades) are fantastic in powder but pants on the flat as you can't carry a great deal of speed on them. I previously tried ski's in knee deep powder and I was awful. Blades in powder - it's the most fun you can have with your clothes on Very Happy They might not be for the purists but almost everyone I ski with absolutely love them.
snow report
foley, skiboards to me, and a lot better to use apparently than snowblades
snow conditions
Quote:

not sure if these are classed at skiboards or skiblades
My understanding is that skiboards is the generic term; skiblades are strictly speaking the original Salomons (ie, compare "Windsurfer" which was originally a brand, or "Hoover"). graeme, thanks.
snow report
Have a look at Summit 110cm skiboards. Good on turns, off piste and good all rounders. A step up from ,y Head Big Easy 94cms.
ski holidays
Montyhh, check out this page on Skiboards.com about choosing the right skiboards. http://www.skiboards.com/orientation/choosetherightskiboards.html
The biggest problem I found is that we have such a limited choice of models here in the UK, and importing from the USA is expensive. graeme, is right, if you contact skiboards.com they will bring a selection of skiboards to your resort and you can try them out, or they will send them by carrier. I had a pair of old Salomon SB10's and had them converted to a release binding, they were far wider than the normal Salomon 99 Snowblades (Snowblade being their brand name) and they floated well in the deep stuff, but I ended up going back to my Head Big Easy's as they have a firmer feel. If I had the money I would certainly like to try Spruce 120's, Summit 110 and Revel8. Avoid the Sporten 116's, not nice, they don't feel like a skiboard or a ski, a narrow hybred that doesn't work. Good luck.

PS, my hubby loves his Atomic 120's, great for his bad knees, turn easily, and do all that he wants.
snow report
Scatty Ratty,
Have been considering these.........do you have a pair?
Am on Big Easys at the moment but want something with more stability a speed; thought these may fit the bill.
Cheers
Mitch
snow conditions
pass the gun...
snow report
the_doc, oh dear...you need therapy! wink
ski holidays
Mitchell wrote:
Scatty Ratty,
Have been considering these.........do you have a pair?
Am on Big Easys at the moment but want something with more stability a speed; thought these may fit the bill.
Cheers
Mitch

Have you tried skis? Puzzled [/b]
snow conditions
parlor, I thought the topic was about skiboard or skiblades Puzzled Mitch could try any number of downhill modes, (including skis or Snowbikes for that matter) but he's asking about the performance merits of Summit 110's, what's the problem? rolling eyes
ski holidays
I am an intermediate skier and getting old (in my 50's) and having trouble (fear) getting better. I just started skiing a couple of years ago.
I can ski some of the Blues in Deer Valley comfortably and others with a little fear.
I would like to improve so that I would be comfortable on all Blues and some Blacks and thought that skiboards may be the way to go.
I am looking at the Summit 110 custom or the Atomic ETL 123
Any suggestions, or is it just wishful thinking that I may get any better.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy