Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne challenges?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to La Plagne in a week (haven't been there before). I've some BC exp. in Whistler last year and owner of the place I was staying there last year recommended an advanced guide book with acres of of stuff not on the map which I enjoyed looking for immensly.

Is anyone aware of a similar guide book for the La Plagne area or recommend any advanced routes?

thanks everyone
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
deejbee,

PM BernardC who knows the area well. I only know that the NF of Bellecote is a good place to start which is why I will be aout there in Mar, and you'll need someone who knows mostly.
He should be able to recommend a guide.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
deejbee,

davidof over at this site is another person to get hold of

http://pistehors.com/backcountry/wiki/Savoie/La-Plagne-Off-Piste
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This probably the best guide on t'internet to LA Plagnes very extensive off piste. In French but you can utilise Googles web page translator to change it into a form of English Toofy Grin
http://thermique74.nuxit.net/index.html
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
fantastic suggestions, thanks very much. I was a bit worried when I first took a look a the piste map that there wasn't as much advanced work marked but after having an initial look at some of those off piste guides it looks like I won't get bored. thanks again.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
deejbee - how did you get on?

Just got back from LP - we finished the trip with the run from Roche De Mio down the Ruisseau de la Velière to Champagny Le Haut. Fantastic run in springlike powder in the last rays of the evening sun - only 8 other tracks before us in the whole valley!!! Toofy Grin

For future reference - when you leave the R.de M. bubble head 50m towards the Parapente area, then follow the ratrack route which connects down to the bubble mid station (this says closed, and is not usually skiid) Turn off into the valley for some fantastic open powder slopes. Towards the bottom you must take the route of the path (not the stream which ends in a waterfall), turning left by a tree covered hill called le Morre (clearly marked with summer walking signs). Quite steep here, then about 500m of easy sideslipping down an icy path, where you wouldn't really want to fall Skullie (crampons would be a sensible addition to the pack if the path is too broken to ski) and there is potential avalanche danger here as we crossed a couple of av. tracks. Take the regular free navette back to Champangny.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
geoffers, If I have you right, I've often looked at that area from the glacier and wondered about skiing down there.
I might give it a try this time, if Guide BernardC thinks it OK. The train leaves at 5.30pm. snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jonpim, I agree that the route from the glacier looks fantastic, and I want to do that too....

However one of my mates was on a board, and from the glacier there's a flatish/slightly uphill section under a ridge called Les Chamossières which you must traverse to cross back into the Velière valley to reach the exit path.

Or you can do it from the glacier mid-station & cross into the Velière valley on a saddle north of the Chamossières ridge, past the Lac de la Velière.

The easiest option is from the Roche de Mio gondola station itself (as described above), heading due south down the Velière valley. If you get a copy of the IGN Les Arcs,La Plagne 1:25000 map (sheet 3532ET) it'll all become clear...

Enjoy Smile
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy