Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Strong Canadian Dollar

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Canadian Dollar or "loonie", as its known in Canada, is now at C$1.97 (mid-market rate) to the Pound and around parity with the US Dollar. This makes the loonie stronger than it's been for many years.

I was wondering how this might affect perceived costs for those who are visiting Canadian resorts this winter. I have only ever skied the Alps before, so was hoping it would feel cheaper than this.

And also, will it affect visitor numbers from US? If it does, what effect will this have in resort?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
It may have an effect on US visitors but I think the increasing number of British skiers/snowboarders visiting will comfort that, the Inns of Banff may as well be renamed "Inns of Britain" during the winter season!! Shocked
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes, annoying it really is.... But hey-ho sod all we can do about it! I think I'll just take a little more with me than I was planning to (if I get there, thanks BAA...!), or hope theres an amazing crash in the next 4 weeks?!!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
In the past yeat the pound has gone from 2.27 to 1.98 - about a 15% decrease in purchasing power if you skied here last year but it barely changed from 2005 when the rate was 2.05.

It's still a pretty good deal for people from the UK, but getting expensive for Americans, where the CAD has appreciated 50% in the last few years.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So you think it will still seem good value in Canada at under 2 dollars to the pound for Brits who are used to skiing in the European Alps?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have to agree with Levitt, it is still a good deal for us. I didn't notice a huge difference between this season, the summer and last season - I'm going to get dragged across to a small room eventually to question what I'm dealing due the number of trips I've been making across there recently...

It seems to be quite a matter of pride at the moment that the CAD is stronger than the USD. We should just be thankful that the GBP has remained so strong for as long as it has recently. Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

And also, will it affect visitor numbers from US? If it does, what effect will this have in resort?

I kwow there're a lot of Americans visiting Whistler. But what's the bulk of visitors to Banff? Do American visitors make up any significant percentage?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There has been a very big change in the past 2.4 years. In April 2005 we got 2.40 to the pound, now the dollar is its strongest against the pound in about 15 years. General consensus is that it is over valued right now, but mid eighties it did hit 1.50 to the pound I believe so it could still get stronger.

I'm not sure there is a significant US contingent coming to Banff and certainly numbers do not appear to be down at the resorts so far. Of course I am now living here and getting paid in loonies so it doesn't really worry me Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Last winter the pound peaked at around 2.3 CAD, but it was at around 2.1 or 2.2 most of the time. So at 1.97 it's very roughly 10% more expensive at the moment. That certainly wouldn't be a show stopper for me. Anyway we actually got significantly cheaper flights to Canada this Christmas, which more than made up for the stronger CAD. I would have thought snow conditions (both in the US and Canada) would affect US visitor numbers more than fluctuations in currency. But I suppose the poor US economy will probably have some effect on numbers. There seemed to be plenty of Americans and Brits in BC over Christmas regardless.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy