Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice on resort, please?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello, sorry to come on with my first post and just ask questions, but I don't know a great deal so am probably not in a position to post any advice befre I dive in to try and get advice form others.

My wife is looking at trying to get away skiing in March next year, and I wondered if any of you might suggest whish resorts are good, or whether we'll find anywhere good at that time of year.

I first went skiing 22 years ago in Switzerland, near Verbier. Bad choice for a first timer, as I did not get the benefit of the fantastic and large ski area. Subesquently went 17 years ago to Borovets in Bulgaria (very poor snow, but skiing came on well) then three successive years in Andorra at Soldeu. I loved it, and skiing became better. On the last trip, 12 years ago, my then girlfriend came along, and had a terrible time. When we married, we tried again (7 year interval) in Banff, Canada, and she really enjoyed it.

Now, 5 years on, she'd like to try again.

I have no idea where is good, or when is the best time to go. I didn't care for Bulgaria, and my wife had a bad experience of Andorra, so we'd like to avoid either of those.

Can anyone recommend anywhere for a rusty intermediate and a rusty just past beginner, please? I'm sure we'd both have lessons to soem extent, but would liek to ski together at least some of the day or some days. We'd most likely be looing for ski-hotels rather than apatments or chalets.

Any advice would be very welcome.

best wishes and Ho Ho Ho,
Rob.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
robbie-doux, Welcome to snowHead 's. Ischgl or Solden in Austria, Selva or Sauze in Italy, you have the nightlife so if the skiing doesn't prove too successful you will have a good holiday.

Enjoy.
snow report
 brian
brian
robbie-doux, welcome to snowHead s.

March is a pretty good time to go, imo. Any particular country you fancy ?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Roy Hockley, Thansk Roy. I know she's been to Austria shopping with her Mum, and loved it. ansas for Italy, she adores the place. Thanks fo the tips
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
robbie-doux,
Welcome to snowHeads. snowHead
To a certain extent where to go is a matter of taste some people enjoy Bulgaria and Andorra.

Having said that if you want to go on a hotel based holiday, I would go to Austria or possibly Switzerland where hotels are of a consistently high standard. There are loads of places that would suit your needs, doesn't sound like a large ski area is particularly necessary. Places like Gargellen Galtur and Obertauern should provide relaible snow and a good skiing experience.
Good Luck.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
brian, Thanks for the welcome. No particular restrictions apart from avoiding Bulgaria & Andorra. The really fabulously expensive resorts are a non-starter, but we're lucky to not be stuck with only the cheapest deals. Europe is probably the most likely, for shorter travelling times, but we'd been looking at Banff again in February before we realised we both had prior engagements in the week we were looking at.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
T Bar, Thanks, we'll be poring over guides & borchures.

I have to say, this is a very helpful & friendly forum - I'm rather blown away by such a lot of suggestions so quickly!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
robbie-doux, welcome to snowHeads. Never mind the greater likelihood of seeking rather than giving advice. We all start (or re-start) somewhere and I for one found one of these forums exceptionally useful.

March is a good time to re-aquaint yourselves IMHO as the weather will probably be a bit more forgiving and, all being well, there should be some good conditions around.

Good luck wherever you chose - I'm sure there will be plenty of useful advice along soon! Can't help with Austria as I've not skied there yet, but when I was looking at it earlier in the year, Zell am See seemed a good bet. Central and offering some charm and character away from the slopes.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
T Bar wrote:
robbie-doux,
some people enjoy Bulgaria and Andorra.

I'm sure Borovets is greatly changed since I was there, and I loved Andorra, just that Mrs D did not enjoy her experience here. I'd actually recomend Andorra as I had 3 great trips there. It's all just personal, and nothing to do with the quality of skii-ing - more to do with who we went with probably!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

March is a good time to re-aquaint yourselves IMHO
Agreed, but possibly the first week, so you don't get involved with Easter. Also better likelihood of snow, earlier in the month. Get local advice on optimum dates, once you decide on a resort.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
robbie-doux, Welcome. watch out in March as Easter in very early this year. snowHead
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, good point about Easter, never remember when it's due to fall!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Good friday is 21st MArch, Easter Sunday 24th & Easter Monday 24th.
And out 5th wedding anniversary is 22nd!

So I don't think our trip will correspond to the anniverary this year!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
robbie-doux, you could do worse than have a look at La Rosiere, it's very snow sure so late season skiing is viable, there's an international flavour to the skiing, the ski area is in France and Italy, it's good terrain for beginners and intermediates, lots of blues and reds. We've got some availability in March, have alook at our website www.tracksvacations.com for details, you'll also find lots of information about the resort and some comments from the 'Where to Ski and Snowboard Guide' I'm sure that wherever you choose you'll have a great time..
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
robbie-doux, Our 10th wedding Anniversary is on the 27th March, wanted to be skiing on the date but we've put ours back a bit - going on the 29th to Switzerland.

Have a look at the website of the publication Where to Ski and Snowboard - www.wtss.co.uk or treat yourselves to the book. Make a shortlist then weigh up the pros and cons. IMHO Austria or Italy are your best bets as has been said above. Austria - skiwelt area,Ellmau,Scheffau. Solden. Obergurgl. Italy - Sauze, Sestriere, or Selva area. Pouring over brochures is also a good idea.

Let us know what you decide.
ski holidays
Quote:

we'd been looking at Banff again in February before we realised we both had prior engagements in the week we were looking at.

Since you had good experience in Canada, one option is to go back there. March should be a lot warmer and sunnier in the interior.

Another option is Colorado (Vail/Beaver Creek for example). It's just as easy to get to as Banff. Although it's on the expensive side by US standard, the weak dollar means it's not (expensive) for you. It's largely an intermediate place.

The flight is long. But you know it's well worth it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy