Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BAA strike

Poster: A snowHead
Two one day strikes on 7 and 14 January followed by two day strike on 17th Mad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Time to break up BAA's London monopoly and Scotland monopoly. Mad
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
laundryman wrote:
Time to break up BAA's London monopoly and Scotland monopoly. Mad

I definatly agree with that. We need some competition, especially for london airports.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
This is going to be rubbish for a lot of people as they are saying this action will have to close each of the airports on those days Sad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We fly on 19th. That'll be fun!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7155147.stm
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm flying back into Glasgow from Egypt on 17 January - should be fun!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
damm, flying out of gatwick on the 19th.....bound to be chaos after a 2 day strike.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Luckily our flights miss the strike dates and I’m much relived
I do have some sympathy as to the reason for the strike
The fact that the pension scheme is to be closed to new staff may not seem such a big issue but what has happened else where is that in two or three years time it will close altogether. By then there will be a fair proportion of new staff that are not in the scheme and are unlikely to support a strike then.

On the other hand if I was not getting to the mountains because of the strike I would be a very unhappy bunny. Getting back home not as big an issue though.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Garfield, Thanks for the heads up on this, it directly affects 5 of my group flying out Friday 18th in the evening. one has already rebooked to Bristol. Most Grateful Cool
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm pleased I decided to fly from Birmingham rather than Stansted (which is actually closer) on the 19th as the times are better. I'm assuming (aka hoping, praying) that as Birmingham is not owned by BAA it will not be affected.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry to all the folks that this may affect but I am pleased my 3 flights are from Coventry, Luton and London City
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Im going out of Heathrow on the 19th.

I have no sympathy for any of the BAA &$^('s. It totally angers me that they should ruin people's (innocent, ordinary people) plans. God if you're not happy then get another job like the rest of us.... GRRRR!
Like it says in that report the existing staff are fine - absolutely rediculous! Not even interested in any of their counter argument - its not my, nor most of the 1.3 million impacted people's problem - so why make it so. Selfish.......................'s
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Look on the brightside people - there's less chance of them losing your luggage if they're all on strike.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Christopher, different owners, same union. Twisted Evil
latest report
FenlandSkier wrote:
Look on the brightside people - there's less chance of them losing your luggage if they're all on strike.

No they will still lose your luggage they will just have a new thing to blame for doing it

French air trafic control must be due to strike as well they have been quiet for a few weeks rolling eyes
latest report
Typical!!

I'm flying out of Edinburgh on the 7th and returning the 14th with easyjet. (Going to Meribel via Geneva)

Any suggestions on what i should do? Not really any information stating what is going to happen those days if
there is a strike.

I'm raging, realy looking forward to my trip. Evil or Very Mad
ski holidays
From what I've read its a third of staff, so mixed reports as to whether its going to impact or not.

I was watching that idiot of a union chairman on TV earlier, proudly stating how much of a mess it should cause. Nice one, Idiot. No doubt he'll get some friendly knocks on his door by miffed travellers! (if not he damn well should..!)
ski holidays
Colin B, Birmingham will not be affected Happy We are expecting some of the airlines to switch the some of the flights upto Birmingham on the strike days.
ski holidays
I notice it says that the strike will (or would) affect Heathrow, Gatwick, Stansted, Southampton, Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen.

Our group have booked to go early on the 18th from Stanstead on Ryanair and I have a taxi booked at the other end (€200 each way). Not sure what to do. Even if they don't close the airport presumably we would get the previous day's strike chaos tided over to us, so going even earlier will not help all that much.
snow report
Supposed to fly to Salzburg on the 17th from stansted... Sad
We are working hard on a plan B..
latest report
Wear The Fox Hat wrote:
We fly on 19th. That'll be fun!

we fly on the 14th Not going to be fun that day Puzzled
snow conditions
It's just over two weeks until the first strike date - I think a lot of talking will be done up to then, with a good chance the strike may be resolved.

If BAA allows all of the busiest airports in the country to grind to a halt it would cause disruption not just in the UK but around the world.

snowHead
snow conditions
StephenFrench, Thanks for that, one less thing to worry about. My sympathy to those flying from BAA airports. If it goes on too long I'm flying out of Stansted in February though.
snow report
Supposed to be flying to Vancover on the 14th, thankfully hadnt got round to sorting out my transfers yet, but im bl**dy annoyed! No infomation on the Air Canada site yet so god knows whats happening Sad

I say sack the lot of them, go hire some polls or something. Sick and tired of all these damed strikes!

No doubt the 15th will end up being an amazing powder day and I will be stuck in the UK Mad
latest report
genius!! the first time in 2 years we're not flying out of that poo-hole in Luton and it lloks like our flights from Stansted on the 19th will probably be knocked back mopping uo after a 2 day strike, I may as well drive, it might be quicker Skullie
ski holidays
Just re read the BBC artical, so out of 6000 staff, 1,946 want to strike, 1,108 dont want to strike and 2946 arnt members of the unite union. So as long as the 1100 who didnt want to strike work, maybe some planes will get out (fingures crossed Trans atlantic Razz)

Definatly agree that its about time BAA was broken up, its not right that all the major London airports. Goverment shouldnt have let the deal go though when the Spanish took over without forcing them to sell off Heathrow or Gatwick!
snow conditions
Was meant to be flying to Denver(via Toronto) on the 14th,I've rescheduled our flights to the 15th.
Don't fancy taking a chance on the unions not changing their minds & having to sit around at Heathrow all day long.
Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:
Don't fancy taking a chance on the unions not changing their minds

If I was a union trying to create chaos I'd change my mind once every 48 hours for the next week about which days to go on strike....some friends visiting in january are doing contingency driving plans. Not so easy to Canada though, what a sod.
ski holidays
the_fatadder, The problem is that most, if not all, of the fire service at the airports are members of Unite. No fire service = no flights.

If you think the monopoly in London is bad, it's worse in Scotland - all the major airports are BAA, (Glasgow, Edinburgh and Aberdeen) the only half decent airports left are Inverness and Prestwick Sad

snowHead
ski holidays
pam w wrote:

If I was a union trying to create chaos I'd change my mind once every 48 hours for the next week about which days to go on strike.....

They need to give 7 days notice. Any more helpful suggestions wink

snowHead
latest report
Sage, then I'd not give more than the minimum notice!
snow report
pam w wrote:
Sage, then I'd not give more than the minimum notice!

You're bad Toofy Grin

By giving a bit of notice they are allowing time for negotiation and hopefully a solution. Giving longer notice helps the passengers (who are stuck in the middle of this) make alternative arrangements.

snowHead
latest report
I'm flying from Gatwick on 13th and back on 20th so a lucky escape for me.
I joined my company 4 years ago and I couldn't join the final pension scheme. As the company is HBOS, a large bank, it's in a better position than most to maintain such a scheme. If I'm not bitching about that what rights do these guys have to insist that their company mainatins such an expensive scheme.
Still got stupidly militant unions in place that's what's going on. Bring back Maggie I say. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Cymru am Byth wrote:
I'm flying from Gatwick on 13th and back on 20th so a lucky escape for me.

Snap. Wasn't it about the same time last year we also ran into each other in similar circumstances?

Sorry, but nothing merits bringing back that witch (IMHO Wink ).
snow report
GrahamN, Think it was slightly later as I was going to Dublin for the match in Cardiff Shocked (It made sense to me). You were on your way skiing, dead give away was the full skiing outfit in the departure lounge. You are still the only guy that I have ever seen wearing ski boots in departures.

Think you'll find that most of our current prosperity is base on that witches financial policies. Broke the unions that were ruining our country. If she had been a man would she have been strong and powerful rather than a witch. Puzzled
snow report
I'm flying from and into Gatwick on 5th and 12th so I miss both (wouldn't have minded being stuck in Chamonix for a couple more days whilst the unions were taught the infinite technicalities of final salary pension schemes!)
snow report
out on the 6th from edinburgh so hope the strikers do not start early!
snow conditions
mmm flying out from glasgow on the 11th hopefully be okay........... Puzzled
snow report
At £1.99 (plus £17 taxes) I decided to get insurance with Luton flights. Its a bit later in the day so I wouldn't ski the day I arrive - but at least I'd arrive.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy