Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski-ing after child

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
my wife is due to give birth to our 2nd at the begining of March is it to much to ask to take the family skiing at the end of March for a few days would it be to early for her I want my 4 year old to start sking this season wink snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jase2472, Personally , I wouldn't have been happy to do that after any of mine. You are also assuming that the baby will arrive on time- they have a habit of coming when they're ready and your wife could be a couple of weeks overdue. Having said that, I know of someone who took a 4 week old on a skiing holiday ( brave woman!) with no problems.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jase2472, I'd go with No.1 on your own (if you're allowed), I once carried a baby a few months old up Ben Nevis, and my GP queried whether the altitude might have been a bit too much for a tot.

Are month old children allowed to fly?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I did my 1st day skiing trip with my girlfriend and 6 month old daughter this weekend (with a friend to look after the baby while we did some short runs). I certainly wouldn't have considered it at 4 weeks! And I couldn't imagine getting on a plane - we waited several month beofre taking her over to England, and then decided the train would be easier.

Our Doctor advised us to wait for several weeks (6 I think) before taking her above 1,000m.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jase2472, I strongly agree with posts above. I have contributed to several threads about pregnant skiing - and always think that for a healthy person, it's fine. I didn't have the opportunity to ski pregnant, but I rode a motorbike and went windsurfing till the week before my baby was born (it was in Barbados, I'm not tough enough to windsurf in UK). I also did quite extensive travel with a 7-12 week old baby (including two trans Atlantic flights), took a 2 year old camping in Africa and did gentle skiing 7 weeks after a hysterectomy. So I'm not over-cautious in these matters! However, even if the baby is on time, your wife will not have had her post natal (6 weeks) check, which could invalidate insurance. She will still be feeling tired (much more tired, in my experience, than 4 weeks before the birth). The baby's routines won't be established, she might still be struggling with feeding, and an ordinary day might feel like a bit of a mountain to climb.

I agree with the suggestion that you go on your own, with Number 1. Super bonding experience, make a fuss of Number 1 who will have nose out of joint. But make sure your wife has full time help, care and company if possible. Before you go, you could maybe take over both kids for a day so your wife could treat herself to something like a day in a spa! With several such days on your return.

What does she think about this idea, by the way. Or haven't you asked? snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
No No I mean will she be ok to fly we have relatives over in Southern Spain and was thinking of killing 2 birds ie No 1 child having a day or 2 on the slopes then off to the coast, wouldn't expect wife to ski 3/4 weeks after giving birth Laughing now if it was a man giving birth................... wink
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Baby comes first. Not you.

Stay at home.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
jase2472, you'd need to check with the insurer, maybe not before the 6 week post-natal exam, which is an important milestone.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It might sound obvious and I'm sure you've already thought of it, but can you get a first passport that quickly these days?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

You are also assuming that the baby will arrive on time- they have a habit of coming when they're ready and your wife could be a couple of weeks overdue.

smca hit the nail on the head. It's cutting it too close.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jase2472, yes, it is too early for your wife and the baby, even assuming the baby arrives on time. There is a risk of post-natal complications to your wife up to 6 weeks, and she should definitely not fly during that time due to the increased risk of deep vein thrombosis, but you shouldn't consider a long car journey either - as there is still a risk of DVT with any long journey where you remain immobile for a period of time.

Going on your own may sound good but you need to make sure your wife has all the support she needs to look after the new baby too. Remember, you should be bonding with the baby at this time too, and helping to look after the new baby.

What is wrong with teaching a 4 year old to ski at a Snowdome? They are plenty big enough for a little tot, and next year you can all go and your oldest will already know how to ski.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Agree with Whitegold, I'm a father of 1 who was bprn l;ast Feb, and I would not have considered leaving my wife with a new born - and having been through the 'first six weeks of parenthood' traumas, I'm gald I was around to help especially at night.

the snow will be there next year.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well we flew with number one child about 5000 miles at two weeks and went Munro bagging in the (light) snow afterwards, carrying the wean so I'm a bit sceptical of this advice. Each to their own but I'd go for it.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
dibblette, my kids new passports arrived in 2 days. Three week service supposedly. I'm pleased I didn't pay extra for the fastrack service.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy