Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Gets Restaurants ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

just booked some flights to Geneva for a Wednesday to Saturday break mid-January and fancy trying Les Gets (never been).

It will be just my beautiful better half and I - no kids, hoorah ! so we are looking for a decent hotel with good location for the slopes and if its near town also for strolling out of an evening even better.

Can anyone with experience of Les Gets suggest a hotel to try and any other advice on Les Gets would be great.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 1-01-08 13:48; edited 3 times in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hairy Boy, Les Gets is perfectly pleasant, as ski resorts go, but there are better places for evening ambiance, for just the two of you.... maybe La Clusaz? More like a proper town. Or Megeve. I've only done chalets in Les Gets, so can't help with hotels.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks pam w,

my wife and I did our short break last year in La clusaz - absolutley loved it but wanted to try somewhere else this year.

hadn't considered megeve - close to Geneva ? - ok for my advanced beginner wife ?

still interested in advice about Les Gets.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Only ever stayed in Chalet there (about 6 times now). Nice place, and I will go back (just not this year, since I fancied a change, and my usual chalet is not doing the usual service this year due to refurb.)

Hotels... only ones I know are Stella / Galaxy.
The Les Gets website has an online reservation thingumy I think, which may be of use... http://www.lesgets.com
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hairy Boy, Megeve is probably about the same distance from Geneva as Les Gets and a very easy drive - probably takes less time, as it's closer to the A40. Megeve should be fine for an "advanced beginner" - though I don't know the skiing there much - just a very short dash up one of the lifts, on the way to Geneva airport one day! It's noted for well groomed, mostly easy and intermediate skiing. The town is sophisticated, traffic free centre with lots of fancy restaurants, stunning shops (the sort you don't go in, just look in the windows....) horse drawn carriages, some lovely old buildings - Les Gets can't compete from that point of view. Another possibility could be Morzine, which shares the same skiing as Les Gets but is more of a proper "town" with probably more accommodation options than Les Gets and cheaper than Megeve. There are plenty of Morzine experts on Snowheads, but I've only stayed in Les Gets.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Hairy Boy - any of Megeve, Les Gets or Morzine would be good.

If you want a truly special place in Megeve then the Igloo would be my choice. It's on a ridge at the top of Princess lift. Hardly convenient for town, but it would be a truly memorable place to stay. The food is fab. And the views are better.

As pam w says, there's not much to Les Gets - but what there is is quite pretty nice and there's more than enough for a few days.

Morzine is much less pretty, but has much more going on in the evening. There are two nice, centrally placed hotels - whose names completely escape me.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Stayed in a hotel on the slope itself a few times. Not too dear. Can't think of its name. BRB..
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Need to go home to find the receipts!

Not stayed there for about 6 years mind. Now go self catering.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I once tried looking for short stay hotels in the Les Gets/Morzine area. Had no joy. I ended up having to stay in Chamonix (which has several cheapish short stay hotels in the town centre).

If you find anywhere that will have you for a couple of nights snap it up!

You may have better luck booking a cheap week and just using part of it.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We have stopped at the Mont-Chery Hotel http://www.hotelmontchery.com in Les Gets a couple of times (and will be there again on 14th Jan) It is ia great spot right next to the slopes it is not super luxury but very nice with a pool, jacuzi and sauna. The owners are very friendly and most important for us they are one of the few hotels who will let you book for a couple of nights for a short break, many are unwilling to take bookings of less than a full week at peak times. Not exactly a cheap option expect to pay around Euro 240 a night for two Incl Dinner and breakfast. A cheaper option is Le Boomerang no where near as good possition but still only a short walk to the lifts and the food is good. (though try and stop in the main hotel not Boomerang 2)

The village is very nice and I am sure you and your wife will love it. If the snow is good (as it seems to be to date) the skiing will give you plenty to do for a few days.

Chris
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
globalbagtag.com, €240 a night for those facilities and most important of all, being able to book individual days and not for the full week. Early January is a low season but should be fantastic this year because of the global warming effect we have tons of snow wink wink wink .

If however you would balk at the above price you would be shocked at a weeks skiing in Megeve. It is however a beautiful town.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks Chris,

I had made contact with the hotel Mont Chery and it was fast becoming my preferred choice due to location and facilities.

I had received some prices/options from them yesterday so your recommendation was reassuring, I have now booked the Mont Chery. Gone for Bed and Breakfast (pleasantly surprised they offered this).

Now looking for evening restaurant recommendations in Les Gets. Looking for good, wholesome (traditional) fair served in a warm cosy atmosphere. Also interested in good alternatives to French so a really good pizzeria or whatever also welcome as an option.

Thanks for you help guys.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There is a small pizza place in les gets. Kind of like in the basement and next door to the night club. It looks a bit cheap and cheerfull but they serve some of the best pizzas I have ever tasted. We always go there a couple of times each trip.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hairy Boy, I think it is called Le Coptaux on the main street (picture of a cow). Worth booking ahead, even in low season. My wife and me had one of our "famous" quick lunches there while the kids were in ski school and child care. Food was good and pleasant staff who were still all french. We emerged about three hours later after working our way through the menu (mainly the drinks menu from what I remember).

We have been to Les Gets twice now and enjoyed the village. The hotel you have chosen is on a good spot to get on the red bubble lift or the fast quad.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
jayc and chrisb, Thanks for the recommendations - I'm getting quite excited about our little trip - its only 2 weeks away. All I need now to make me boil over with anticipation is some forecasts of decent snow between now and when we go Madeye-Smiley.

Anybody else any recommendations for Les Gets - restaurants or other tips/tricks ?
ski holidays
Hairy Boy, we've stayed in Le Boomerang a few times, winter and summer, where there's a very lively bar, sometimes with live music. The restaurant's pretty good too, and I'm sure non-residents can eat there.
ski holidays
Hairyboy & globalbagtag

Please don't use up all the snow, leave some for the four of us (powderhounds DOT org DOT uk). One of our group was in Les Gets over Christmas and had Christmas Dinner in a restaurant in the village. I'll see if I can get its name for you - if it was any good Happy

Maybe bump into y'all (metaphorically of course) while we're there from 15th.

I'm so excited!

CW Very Happy
snow report
RachelQ, Thanks for the info on Le Boomerang

cardweg, We fly out on the 16th so you'll be there before us !

There is lots of rain out there forecast for Saturday night and Sunday accoring to Snow-forecast.com - hope there very wrong and it falls a snow
latest report
Keep the faith guys!
The weather forecasters can get it wrong. Thursday night here they said 3-5cm would fall in Belfast.
It turned out to be more like 15 & the promised rainstorm and thaw haven't quite materialised either, although the rain has made the snow very wet - anyone know where I could get a garden sized pistebasher ? snowHead
CW

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Tue 8-01-08 14:14; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Hairy Boy,

My friend's Christmas dinner was in

Le Tourbillon
563, rue du Centre
74260 LES GETS
Tel : 04.50.79.70.34
Email : danvaldan@wanadoo.fr

He says it was nice. The house specialty was salmon.

CW
snow report
Hairy Boy - on the mountain, the following all have good to superb food:

- Chez Nanon - just under the top of the Trocs lift over in the Nyon sector
- Les Lhottye's (may have the spelling wrong there!) - the top of the Nauchetts lift from the main Les Gets bowl
- La Grande Ourse - right at the very top of Mont Chery - up the telecabin and then up the chair lift to your right as you come out
- Pointe de Nyon - at the top of the Nyon cable car

La Grande Ourse is new this year and may well be the best of competitive bunch of restaurants. Get there early and grab a table by the window.
snow report
cardweg, PhillipStanton,

Thanks guys - only 9 days until takeoff snowHead
snow conditions
9? Only 7 more sleeps for me Happy
This time next week I'll be in resort - wahey!
snow report
This time next week I will be switching off my work laptop - dropping the kids off with my in-laws and then my better half and I will be off to our local bar for a nice quiet drink. Can't have too many as we have to be up before dawn to get to Leeds Bradford Airport - Can't wait, Happy Days Very Happy
latest report
Hairy Boy,

where are you staying ?
I stayed in Les Gets (Le Boomerang) a few years ago and it was OK. Skiing fantastic, town great, weather perfect.
I did Les Carroz last year and Megeve the year before that.
Switzerland this year.

Have a good trip.
latest report
Oh well,

Back at work for 3 days now, but my experience of eating in Les Gets was very good.

On mountain - I'd thoroughly second PhilipStanton's recommendations for Lhotty's and Pointe de Nyon - both were excellent

In resort - Flambeau - lovely thin crust pizza, les Copeaux and la Pela - traditional French fare, Peau de Vache - DIY barbecue at your table

I wish I was back!

CW Sad
snow report
Hi guys,

Had a fantastic, fantastic time in les gets, been very manic at work since getting back but hoping to do full report when I get time.

Thanks for all the recommendations - Lhotty's for lunch was great - Kevin Mcleod from Ch4's Grand Designs came in while we where there - my wife loved the 'mixing with celebs' feeling Laughing

We had a Raclette (monthly fat allowance in 1 meal) in Le Coptaux on the main street - very, very nice place for an evening meal, we were lucky and got a table but booking a table would be a good idea.

Thanks again for all the info guys - it really helped for our 1st trip to Les Gets. Full report to follow when I get time snowHead
snow conditions
I was told that out of all the places he's been to with Grand Designs, Kevin Mcleod liked Les Gets so much that he bought property near the village.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My report on Les Gets, including more info on the restaurants we ate at is now posted here:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=837851#837851
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy