Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Boot Carriage

Poster: A snowHead
We have booked a skiing holiday with Neilsons, and are flying with Thomas Cook. Neilsons are unable to offer us Ski Boot Carriage and have said the boots have to go in with our luggage allowance - we were, however, able to pre book Ski Carriage. I have never come across this situation before, and wondered if any other sHs have had any similar experiences ?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Surely ski carraige is skis and boots same as all airlines. Sounds like they are pulling a fast one somewhere on baggage allowances
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
take them on as hand luggage!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
hand luggage. most airlines now have a size limit but not a weight limit. depends how big your feet are but i am small so can get them into a rucksack. we had a bad experience a few years ago where my wifes boots got lost on the way out to denver and she had to hire boots. hire boots are useless if you have funny feet and have custome footbeds. she had an uncomfortable day until the boots arrived via a courier the next day. i figure you can rent skis, poles, jackets, salopettes etc if they get lost but boots is a different matter. !!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Beware trying to take your boots on as hand luggage as depending on the airport they won't let you take them through security-i've attempted this twice over the years at b-ham and been told both times to go back to check them in as hold luggage-both times the operator tried to charge me excess baggage but i successfully argued that i had no other hand luggage and that was my intention so got away with it. If all else fails and they still want to charge you excess then just say you'll wear them on the plane then.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
wearing them on the plane would be hilarious !!! getting up the slippy metal steps would be interesting !!! i have never been stopped although easyjet once wighed the hand luggage and told me it was too heavy. when i ppinted out that my mate had a very light bag and the combined wiehg was within the limits they still wouldnt let me. so i put one boot in his bag and they said it was ok !!! got round the corner and put it back in my bag !!!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Definitely sounds like a scam. What are they suggesting - that most people want to take skis, but not boots, with them? Sounds like a battle worth having!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
IMHO boots have always been in with your luggage allowance or hand luggage (but accepting comments above about airlines letting you on with them nowadays), when you pay for skis you're paying for skis
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'd concur with stevew, I always understood that they were part of your luggage allowance either in the same case or in a seperate bootbag. I have always had mine weighed and gone through onto the belt with the other luggage.
Skis are a seperate thing, paid for as an additional cost as per other oversized luggage and dropped off at a seperate luggage area.

Maybe ring the airline to confirm you can check in 2 bags up to your weight limit or check their website.

Although wearing them would be funny Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It varies, but I had noticed when my tickets arrived yesterday that it says the same thing - boots are part of your normal luggage, while skis are carried (if paid for) separately.

That is with Crystal.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
stevew, it all depends upon who you're flying with. For example, the world's worst airline ( rolling eyes ), British Airways, class your ski allowance (which is in addition to your normal hold allowance) as a ski bag and a boot bag. But of course, if people want to fly with an airline that charges you about £20+ extra just to put your clothes, skis and boots in, then that's their own choice... Razz
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There is no consistency I have in the past put one in my hold luggage and one in hand luggage to keep within the weight limits. I was told in Luton last year that boots were not allowed as hand luggage which makes life difficult getting your hold luggage in weight limits. I end up carrying a backpack full with socks, jacket salopettes etc stuffed in tight.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
IncogSkiSno, I went on holiday with Neilson in January this year and flew with Thomas Cook from Manchester. I had no problem checking in a boot bag plus luggage. Maybe things are different for this year.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just got my tickets from Inghams for a trip in January. I've paid for ski carriage but they have confirmed that this covers the skis only and my 20kg allowance includes my boots. Might just make it!!
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just curious. Why on Earth would security not let you carry your boots on the plane? Yeah, you could hit someone over the head with them, but you could do that with any number of other things. My laptop computer, which is REQUIRED to be taken as carry on luggage would cause at least as much damage.
snow conditions
Bristol Airport now list Ski Boots specifically under the "Prohibited Items" (Banned in the cabin - i.e. Hand luggage) section here

http://www.bristolairport.co.uk/at_the_airport/baggage_and_security.aspx
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy