Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Atomic Metron 9 - Should I?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

I’m a bit of a newbie here so go easy with me!

I’m going to Courchevel 1650 in January for a week for my yearly skiing trip, and I can’t wait! I’d class myself as an advancing intermediate I have 2 weeks and 3 days skiing experience abroad (Courchevel, Bansko, and Tignes) and I go to Castleford snowdome once every 2 weeks for a bit of a blast and to practise my technique. I weigh about 80kg and I’m about 5,10 tall.

I have recently come back from the Atomic Bootcamp in Tignes (which was fantastic!). Whiles I was out there I tried some Atomic Metron 9 Skis (http://www.snowandrock.com/Activity/Ski/Equipment/Skis/Atomic/Metron+9+PPM+4Tix+310+Bindings+ATO0060.htm) which I found to be amazing! My skiing got so much better, and I was a lot more confident on them snowHead Razz . I’m now trying to decide if I should buy some for my trip to Courchevel.

What do you guys think of the Metron 9, can you recommend anything that would be better for me?

I can’t remember what length I used while on the boot camp, what size would you recommend?

I’ve seen them at Snow and Rock for £279, is this a good price. Do you know if anyone else does them cheaper?

And the biggy! Is it worth me buying any skis at all?? I’ve always hired them in the passed and had no problems (I’ve got my own boots, Atomic Hawx 90). So does it make more sense just to hire some in resort (though I don’t think any hire shops in Courchevel hire out Metron skis)? I’m think about the air costs as well, does anyone know how much Jet2 charges for taking skis? Puzzled

Any advice gratefully received!

Thanks in advance

Matt Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sci-discesa-ATOMIC-METRON-9-164cm-nuovi_W0QQitemZ170173510091QQihZ007QQcategoryZ36267QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem Cheaper. I'll let you know if they are reliable when my crimsons turn up on friday. As for economic of owning prob not. Using kit you like makes it worthwhile. On metrons I suspect 164 is the length for you. other skis you would normally be a little longer
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks very much! I'm not sure if I should go for the 164 or the 157's. I've been told that you should go short on the Metrons?

So, is the Metron 9 a good ski for someone my level?

On the economics, I was thinking of maybe selling them once i'm back and them buying some more next year! I'm sure I would get a decent amount back on eBay.

Also, how does online ski buying work? Dont they need to be setup to you boot size and din settings?

Cheers!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think you will lose a lot of money selling a used pair on ebay and if your going only once a year then it will be cheaper to hire-you can send the extra money you save on an upgrade maybe,i have my own skis-metron 10's which i also love to bits-but i intend to go skiing 2/3 times a year and i'll probably get a few years skiing out of them. Then you have to factor in as you said the ski carriage charges and the lugging them to and from resort but that is offset by the fact that they are your own pair that you get used to and you don't have to mess about going to the hire shop before you can go skiing. I'm off to Alpe d'huez on Saturday and with a bit of luck will be there for around lunchtime if i am then i'll be on the slopes within 20/30 mins of getting there instead of having to faff about hiring equipment. It's all down to personal preference and whether cost is a major issue really.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks! Maybe your right about loseing money. I have found a place that will do them for £160 including poles. How much would ski hire (no boots) cost in Courchevel for a week? How much do airlines normally charge?

Has anyone got any views on this ski? Do you think its a good ski for my level?

The Metrons 9 really did make me enjoy my skiing, so i'm willing to pay a bit extra to get that feeling again when I go over there. Or do you think if i get a good set of hire skis it will feel just as good?

Thanks guys!

snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
ryanair £30 return chartered usually £15 return ski hire in couchevel will prob set you back £70-80 go online and search to check. At £160 you can probably use them and stay in fromt of the hire charges just
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

The Metrons 9 really did make me enjoy my skiing

So what else do you need to know? If it feels good it is the right ski for you. Seems like a very good value ski to someone like me who is wondering whether he is good enough to appreciate or even survive £470 Scott Missions!

snowHead
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mf-racing, I tried out the Metron 9s last season and also thought they were a good ski - I think they were 164s. I'm about 172 cm. I have seen them for about £160, but to be honest that was on resort and in Andorra where tax may well have been a factor! Beginning to wish that maybe I should have bought them.

I've had about 14 weeks skiing, so presumably if you maintained the satisfaction with them for another 12 trips, that could be construed as being good value for money! Though doubtless at one trip a year, there may well be others to try over the next 12 years wink
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mf-racing, I've some Metron 9's which I've had a couple of years and been very happy with. Mine are 157's and were fine when I bought them but now I've put on a bit of weight and am similar to you and they are really too short. If you search the web you'll find charts for calculating which length you need.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
dan100 wrote:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Sci-discesa-ATOMIC-METRON-9-164cm-nuovi_W0QQitemZ170173510091QQihZ007QQcategoryZ36267QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem Cheaper. I'll let you know if they are reliable when my crimsons turn up on friday. As for economic of owning prob not. Using kit you like makes it worthwhile. On metrons I suspect 164 is the length for you. other skis you would normally be a little longer

if they still have the metrons they've proved to be reliable. skis bought monday delivered friday
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy